• Tweets

• Hi. I've moved your thread to the Residential and Commercial lettings forum. People should be along to advise later. HB
    • Ah I never even considered it, odd f9r me because im Tech savvy. Had a look and sure enough its all there in my google timeline. Perfect. 
    • is the home in joint names but this is solely your debt? need far more history to be able to comment if it's paid off and was not just written of by one partly on their books and sold to anther, thus the cra file says £0. dx
    • So, Sunak has managed to get someone to 'volunteer to go to Rwanda hasn't he? .. for just £3000 payment to the person plus 5 years free board and lodging isnt it? - cost to UK taxpayer over £300M+ (300 million quid+) isnt it? - Bargain says Rwanda, especially with all the profit we made privately selling those luxury chalets Bravermann advertised for us   I wonder how many brits would jump at that offer? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Lets see, up to 5 years free board and lodging and £3k in my pocket .. I'd go - and like that person - just come back if/when I get bored. First job - off to Botswana for a week to see the elephants.   Of course the paid volunteers going to Botswana are meaningless - Rwanda have REPEATEDLY said they wont take any forcibly trafficked people in breach of international law eh? Have the poops actually got any civil servants to agree to go yet - probably end up as more massive payments to VIPal contractors to go and sit there doing nowt shortly eh?    
    • Hi Wondered if I could get a little advise please. I entered into a commercial lease (3 years) and within a few months I had to leave as the business I was trading with collapsed. I returned the keys to the landlord and explained the situation and no money, also likely to go on benefits but the landlord stuck to their guns. They have now instructed solicitors to send letter before action claiming just over £4000. The lease was mine and so the debt. I know this. I have emailed the solicitors twice to explain I am out of work and that with help from family I could offer a full and final settlement figure of £1500 or £10pw. This was countered by them with an offer to reduce the debt by £400, or pay off the amount over 12 months. I went back with an improved full and final offer of £2500 or £20pw. This has been rejected with the comment 'papers ready to go to court'. I have no hope of paying the £4000 and so it will have to go to court. Pity as I have no debts otherwise but not working is a killer. I wondered if they take me to court, could I ask for mediation? I also think that taking me to court will result in a pretty much nothing per week payment from my benefits. Are companies just pushing ahead with action even if a better offer is on the table? Thanks for your help.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Asda parking ticket - Town & City Parking

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4558 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently got a PCN from Town & City Parking Ltd for parking in a disabled bay at The Metro Centre in Gateshead ....

As a solicitor, i am fully aware of the private parking companies [problem] and always get my clients out of parking tickets from such companies, I wrote them a nice letter, and a few days later i got a reply saying "Thank you for your recent communication, we note the points raised and would like to inform you that we have cancelled your parking charge"

So.. as it may be beneficial to you lot.. i will copy and paste the letter that i sent to them... feel free to use bits of it to create your own letter to demolish these ******s...

Dear Sir / Madam,

I am writing to you in form of appeal about the above mentioned parking charge notice. I am writing on behalf of the driver of the vehicle at the time of the alleged incident.

After conducting comprehensive research with regards to this matter, I would like to challenge various aspects of the grounds and compliance in which this parking charge notice has been issued. Before making further contact with myself or taking further civil enforcement actions against the driver, I demand that every point within this letter of appeal is answered appropriately, with any supporting evidence supplied.

As I understand from looking at the British Parking Associations directory of members, Town & City Parking Ltd, who operate the parking enforcement at The Metro Centre, are registered with the British Parking Associations “Approved Operator Scheme”. I have looked into the BPA’s “Professional Code of Practice” and have found several contradictions with the operational procedures of Town & City Parking Ltd at The Metro Centre.

BPA Professional Code of Practice – Chapter B5 Section 1 Part N (B5.1N)

“All methods by which drivers may challenge the parking ticket, including at least a phone number for a human operator”

I now refer to the parking ticket as issued by Town & City Parking Ltd, which only states;

“Credit/Debit card payments can be made by calling 0845 230 3082 (24 HOUR AUTOMATED SERVICE)”

This paragraph was taken from the “PAYMENT INSTRUCTION” section of the ticket, and I confirm that there is no phone number under the “APPEAL” section of the ticket, which is a clear contradiction to Chapter B5 Section 1 Part N of the BPA’s professional code of practice.

BPA Professional Code of Practice – General Conditions Section 15 Part 4 (15.4)

“You must not use terms which imply that you are acting under statutory authority; this will include terms such as “fine”, “penalty” or “penalty charge notice”

I would like to refer you to the signs that are erected in various locations throughout the Metro Centre, which has the words “Penalty” and “Penalty Notice” on them.

BPA Professional Code of Practice – Chapter A8 – Signs & Information

In order to carry out parking enforcement by means of issuing a parking charge notice, the warning signs, which acts as a binding contractual agreement between the driver of the vehicle and Town and City Parking Ltd on behalf of The Metro Centre, must include the following information;

“Signs must show, in plain and intelligible language, all the terms on which an operator may wish to rely. Signs must be placed at the entrance to the site, and there must be enough signs in other locations throughout the site so that drivers are given the chance to be aware of the risk involved at the time of parking or leaving the vehicle. They must include the following information;

A. That the land is private property and is managed by the operator

B. That if a vehicle is parked without authorisation, or has breached any parking conditions that apply, parking control and enforcement action may take place at any time or during the hours shown

C. The types of parking control that may be used – for example, immobilisation, removal, the issue of parking ticket, etc

D. The standard fees for parking payable for each day or part-day

E. The parking charges that will apply if the driver is in breach of their parking contract

F. Any particular terms or conditions that are unusual and a driver should be aware of

G. Information about whether there are any concessions for disabled persons (blue badge) holders

H. That is a parking ticket is not paid, vehicle keeper details will be requested from the DVLA

I. The registered company name of the operator, if the operator is using a trading name other than its registered company name, a geographical address where documents can be served

J. A landline number for general enquiries”

As far as I am aware, parts A, B, F, G and H have been breached by the signs that are currently displayed at The Metro Centre.

I confirm that the driver was NOT aware of any terms and conditions or contractual agreements that were in place, due to the signs not being appropriate that of a legally binding contract; therefore the driver has not breached any contract and will not pay your parking charge notice.

BPA Professional Code of Practice – Chapter B7 Part 1 (B7.1)

This section states that photographs must be taken of the vehicle that is parked within breach of the car parks regulations. The section states that photographs should include an automatic date & time stamp.

I have performed a Google search for the companies telephone number in order to speak to a human operator (as this was not stated on the ticket) – The driver spoke with the operator (13/09/2010 at 09.28) and requested a copy of these photographs, The driver was told that as the ticket was issued two days ago, therefore head office does not have access to them yet as they would need to wait until they are downloaded from the operator.

I would also like to point you to Chapter B2 part 3 of the BPA’s professional code of practice which states that “You must do a thorough external visual check” - A thorough external check should obviously include the windscreen and front side windows of the vehicle. Please accept this letter as request for a copy of these photographs, which should be sent to the above address of my self, alternatively they may be emailed to

BPA Professional Code of Practice – Chapter B4 Section 5 (B4.5)

“You may ticket vehicles only where there are visible, clear and legible signs and you must keep record of where all site signs are. Do not let signs be blocked from view. Signs must be easy to see and read”

I now refer to the signs that were erected within the location of issue (Yellow multi-story car park level 3) – Unless you get out of the vehicle and then look directly above you would you see these warning signs, which were also rather difficult to read. The characteristic of this sign does not imply that the details include any warnings or important information with regards to parking restrictions or contracts, and can simply be mistaken for some form of commercial advertisement.

BPA Professional Code of Practice – Chapter B4 Section 1 (B4.1)

“You may take parking control & enforcement when the contract entitles you to”

“Contract terms must be included on the sign”

I note that the parking charge notice states the following Company details;

Town and City Parking Ltd

18 King Street

Perth

PH2 8JA

Company No: SC138255

However from looking at the Companies House registrar, your company registration details are;

Town and City Parking Ltd

8 Charlotte Street

Perth

PH1 5LL

Company No: SC138255

I believe that a formal invoice (PCN) for an alleged breach of contract should state accurate registered company details, which is another concern of mine. (See attached)

I hereby formally demand that you provide me the following information within 7 days from the date of this letter, should a response not be received within 7 days, this parking charge notice will be disregarded and the assumption will be made that this parking charge notice has been cancelled.

· Please provide me with a copy the contract that has been breached

· Please provide me with evidence that the contract has been breached

· Please provide me with evidence that the driver of the vehicle agreed to the contract

· Please provide me with evidence of who has breached the contract –I understand that you may request details of the KEEPER of the vehicle of the time of incident, however the keeper was not the driver therefore your enforcement actions will need to be taken up with the driver of the vehicle at the time.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

• Haha 1

Why don't YOU ask THEM who was there driver of the vehicle... instead of THEM asking YOU?

Don't communicate with the debt collection agency that are acting on behalf of Town and City Parking, and take my word when i say they will NOT take court action.

What i would strongly advise you to do is (and feel free to use my letter above)... inform Town & City Parking Ltd that as the grounds on which the ticket has been issued is not in accordance with the British Parking Associations code of practice...

The BPA is the only accredited trade association for the DVLA... and in order to obtain details from the DVLA they must confirm and agree that their signs are fully compliant with the BPA's code of practice... Using the word "penalty" is enough to be a breach of their code of practice; therefore they have improperly obtained your vehicle license details and actually lied to the DVLA.

Trust me and send these cowboys a letter of similar content to mine... sit back and wait for your letter confirming that this PCN has been cancelled.

TIP: Say you are acting on behalf of the driver, don't admit to being the driver.

Oh and on another note... I'm pretty sure that any bailiff company collecting unpaid parking charge notices using data from the DVLA must also be a member of the British Parking Association (A standard member.. not a member of their approved operators scheme).

Might be worth dropping that in somewhere too.... as AA Hutton LLP are not members ;)

A lot of PPC's are using the terms "bailiff" and "debt recovery enforcement officers" in their threatening letters, but never actually reach this stage.

My point is..

You can only legally obtain drivers details from the DVLA if you are an approved operator and the ticket has been issued under the ATA's (British Parking Association) code of practice...

Using the term "penalty" is a breach in itself of the BPA's code of practice, therefore the PCN has been issued in breach of their code of practice.