• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sainsburys making me work over contracted hours?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5136 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just started at sainsburys. I'm only 17 and in the middle of my AS levels so this is a really stressful time. I'm contracted for 12 hours a week.

However, for the next following weeks they've put me down for doing over this, especially next week as i've been put down for 19 hours. I really need the time to revise and didn't agree to this, but they tell me for my first few weeks i won't be working my contracted hours. Are they allowed to do this?

After my exams i wouldn't mind so much, but this is smack bang in the middle of it and i really don't want my exams to suffer if there's something i can do about it.

Hey there! :)

Did you speak to HR Manager in the store (providing he/she is not the one who makes the rota)? The reference to the problem from someone who is above your line manager/supervisor or who makes rota usually helps, at least should help.

I guess the best thing to do would be to put your plea in writing and send it on that HR Manager's work e-mail - so that there was the evidence you physically spoke about your problem with them and you yourself treated it very seriously.

While putting through your arguments, make sure they feel that you are extremely happy to work there (as I am sure you are, anyway), it is just the time of your current exams session that may make you feel stressed out at work due to not being prepared for those exams (which is an obvious reaction).

Being deeply apologetic (for not being able to work more hours for them at this time of year and given your circumstances) won't do any harm as it will show you care about their business as well.

Try not to 'raise your voice' at any point.

If they won't give you any help or support with regards to your case, you may have to choose: quit or struggle to cram in stress...

If you will have to quit, you can always find a minute or two and write a letter to HQ of the Sainsbury's explaining your disappointment with that store' s management (this is actually my style of conduct :), if I am not happy at the final point of action... ).

I am not sure about the legal back-up - if it qualifies for any action, like constructive dismissal to ET... There is a breach to the contract though. Minor but is. So, before you leave the building of the store, in case of being forced to quit, make sure you have a copy of your contract and the copy of the roster (with your 19 hours and so on), to rely on, just in case to prove their wrongdoing.

Fingers crossed they will understand your needs long before any 'black scenario'... :)

Edited by ms_smith

I've just started at sainsburys. I'm only 17 and in the middle of my AS levels so this is a really stressful time. I'm contracted for 12 hours a week.

However, for the next following weeks they've put me down for doing over this, especially next week as i've been put down for 19 hours. I really need the time to revise and didn't agree to this, but they tell me for my first few weeks i won't be working my contracted hours. Are they allowed to do this?

After my exams i wouldn't mind so much, but this is smack bang in the middle of it and i really don't want my exams to suffer if there's something i can do about it.

Hi, and welcome to the CAG...

Could you tell us the type of contract you have signed?

You must either write a letter or send an e-mail to your HR department and state the facts mentioned in your initial post.

Your employer should restrict themselves to the contracted hours, as you are preparing your exams... you should remind them that you are revising for your AS levels and cannot, for the time being, work more than your contracted hours as you need time to study...

If they were to act unreasonably, they could be in trouble!

PS... Make sure that you have a copy of both your contract and rota as mentioned in a previous post... :)

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Hi, and welcome to the CAG...

Could you tell us the type of contract you have signed?

Actually - true. Very true!

Even I have in my own contract of employment (signed for 60 hours over 4 weeks) but in the same sentence there is I "may be required to work such additional hours as the requirements of my job dictate".

Nevertheless, having a genuine reason to ask for a temporary, strictly confined to contracted hours workload is enough to justify speaking to HR on that matter. Or resigning - should the plea be met with refusal from management, what, in my perception, is nothing else than humiliation to a young, ambitious employee.

Should such a case of possible constr.dismissal ever reach ET (as, hold on a sec! Sainsburys probably knew anyway from CV of this person his/her age and that he/she is studying for AS Levels), it would be interesting to watch...

Edited by ms_smith

I'm sorry to ask this but it would'nt by any chance be the branch in Finchley? The HR, managers and Union rep there are bent. They have been caught bullying and intimidating staff there unless you joined them in their ways. A cleaner there kept telling my mum that he will kill her if she spills any flour on the floor. He even pushed her down but the management did nothing untill one of them was threatened.

Sainsbury has a history of bad management and staffing control. main reason is that most of the floor managers are kids with no people skills.

I hope you get this sorted..

Thanks for reading..

PMSC69

I'm sorry to ask this but it would'nt by any chance be the branch in Finchley? The HR, managers and Union rep there are bent. They have been caught bullying and intimidating staff there unless you joined them in their ways. A cleaner there kept telling my mum that he will kill her if she spills any flour on the floor. He even pushed her down but the management did nothing untill one of them was threatened.

Sainsbury has a history of bad management and staffing control. main reason is that most of the floor managers are kids with no people skills.

I hope you get this sorted..

Sounds like Sainsburys are not AS Levels-friendly. ;)

Hmm, you know what, I was once ready to write to Sainsburys HQ over that issue with the passport - at the checkouts they would only ask Polish customers buying alcohol to show Passport as the ID (obviously not everyone will carry in the bag their passport on a daily basis so they are just taking a ***). Other nations - fine, just any ID. Informed my friends to take details and the employee's name and I will write appropriate letter :). You can't blame me - I am Libra by star sign and Libras have got this stronge sense of justice to be done... :)

Anyway, to me it was like race discrimination & harassment. Don't know how it is now, as I haven't heard from that friends of mine. But, as a way of undercover research, will gladly go and buy some alcohol at sainsburys myself. Or with a Spanish, let's say, friend of mine...

Edited by ms_smith

The branch isn't in finchley :p

My contract clearly states that i am to work 12 hours a week and any additional hours are voluntary. The word VOLUNTARY is clearly stated.

To update i went in there today to tell them and my line manager wasn't there, who apparently i need to speak to about it. HR told me i should be able to change but won't know till friday when i work next.

It's annoyed me though, i've worked 24 hours this week when i should have only worked half that, they've just expected me to.

I just hope i can get this sorted, cause not only have they made me do over the hours, but they've also made me do different hours to what is on my contract. I know this is to do with training with my line manager but it's been suited to her hours and it's not necessarily been convenient for me, especially as they've made them earlier so i have to rush home from school and then rush to work with no dinner.

Hi, and thanks for the clarification...

You should explain, to either your line manager or HR department, that for the time being and until the end of your exams period, you will only work your contractual hours and will not be able to volunteer for overtime...

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.