Jump to content

Account problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5116 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

I have had internet banking with Halifax for some time. Due to personal difficulties I hadn't been able to access the account for a while but then became effectively homeless after a split. I also suffer from depression, which makes coping difficult.


Realising I needed an account in order to work, I contacted HBOS and made a voluntary agreement by phone to sort out my overdraft (appx £200) and made it clear to them that I needed to save the account to have any hope.

My agreement was to pay the amount by 19th Feb 2010. Unfortunately the money I was expecting went in on 24th Feb.


I've now been told that, despite now being £4000 in credit, the account has been referred to Blair, Oliver & Scott. Talking to BO&S I was told that the account will be closed and the balance sent to me.


This has me panic-stricken. I have no access to any other funds and, if they close the account the cheque will be useless to me as I will not have a bank account. My homelessness makes it difficult for me to open one as I don't have adequate address ID (I live in a tiny boat and have no utility bills).


I feel this is grossly unfair at the very least since I have cleared the debt. Without a bank account my personal problems will become really serious with no hope of work if I can't be paid.


Any suggestions how to deal with HBOS would be very welcome. Can I insist they pay me cash?

Link to post
Share on other sites


if they do pay you by cheque you should be able to go in to a branch and cash it, and shouldn't have to pay a fee either.Unlike one of the cheque processing places where you would have to pay anything between 4% and 6%.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Fanthony,

Welcome to CAG, and I'm so sorry to hear of your situation.

This might be one occasion when it would be better to go into a branch and discuss it in person. Explain your circumstances and ask if they can either keep the account open without any overdraft facility or failing that wind it up and pay you the cash over the counter. It's your cash and you should be able to choose how to receive it.

Failing that, do you have any relatives you trust, to ask the bank to make it payable to them for cashing?

Hope it works out for you,

kind regards,

Elsa x

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies. In fact the money belonged to a friend who had put it in to try to save the account for me. Halifax have now closed the account completely and I managed to get a cheque made out to the person I owed the money to.


But I'm now without an account and, because of my living situation without the necessary ID to open one. Amazing really; I'm watching myself falling out of society despite my strongest efforts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...