Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Hi BankFodder, thanks for the reply. The firm was T B Plastering & Decorating in Callington, Cornwall.  They have a facebook page which I can't link. We have already sought the advice of a second plasterer. He has seen the work, conrfirmed its way out of any NHBC tolerance and well below the standard of any professional plasterer. We are currently awaiting his quote to remedy the awful quality work, but he has said it will definately involve ripping out and re-boarding two entire window reveals, moving two door frames outwards, possibly new fire-rated cement boards in the fireplace if I cant chip off the non-compliant rubbish which was put on there, and knocking off several blown corners and bodged internal corners. He also confirmed that the whole lot was plastered in one thick coat, rather than two thin skims as normal. This means that as it continues to dry, more cracks will appear as the outer face dries faster than the inner face. Indeed, cracks are still appearing one week on. When I confronted the original plasterer, I gave him several opportunities to get the work sorted, but he just stood there looking shocked saying "What do you want me to do?"  When I replied "I'm not a plasterer, what do you think you can you do?", he just repeated over and over "It's within tolerance, what do you want me to do?" It was clearly going nowhere, so at that point I invited him and his labourer to leave.  
    • negotiate a token payment its already defaulted so will vanish from your file on the DN's 6th b'day. then revise. dx  
    • I owe Nationwide 6K for a credit card that defaulted last year. The debt has just been passed to ARC (Europe) Ltd to collect on nationwide’s behalf. I opened the credit card in 2005 I suspect that Nationwide will not have the credit agreement. I am currently unemployed and likely to stay that way for a while. I have no assets/property/savings. Should I: 1. CCA Nationwide now 2. Stop making payments and wait for letter of claim then CCA nationwide 3. Make token payments for a while in the hope that they sell the debt on and then do 2 4. Something else Thanks in advance for any help. OC: Nationwide DC: ARC (Europe) Ltd Account opened: 2005 Amount owing: 6k Default date: Sept 2023 Date of last payment: Jan 2024
    • That's sounds good to me No news today, I think the returns case times out tomorrow or at midnight tonight. It says I have until today to come to a resolution with the buyer. After that the matter can be escalated. So could be that it's midnight tonight. But no news at the moment
    • Thanks for the advice guys , however I am still at a loss regarding my situation. After a messy divorce some while back , my Sols advised me in writing that although their costs were £XXXX.00 , Legal aid had informed them that my liability was just £XXX.00 and would I like to make a representation to the Court regarding said costs. As I deemed  the figure of  £XXX.00 not excessive I decided not to contend the amount that I owed in Legal aid , which I would have done ( and would have had sound grounds to ask the Court to retrieve the balance of the excessive costs of the divorce from the OP ). I remortgaged my home after the divorce and Legal aid put a second charge on the property , which I assumed was for the £ XXX.00. I cannot quite remember how much , but I offered to pay back an amount each month to pay off the £ XXX.00 , but they refused my offer. I then received annual statements showing the £ XXX.00 owed + interest for 4-5 years , then  statements that I owed £ XXXX.00. I contacted them and after some time they apologised and said they had made a mistake but I still owed them £XXXX.00. Legal aid blamed my Sols for not understanding the principals , however my Sols when told about my liability of just £XXX.00 wrote back to Legal Aid who confirmed for a second time that £XXX.00 was my total liability , before my Sols wrote to me to see if I wanted to make said representations to the Court regarding the costs of the divorce. My questions are - If the initial Legal aid second charge on my home was for £XXX.00 , how can it now be £XXXX.00 ? Also , whilst they are now refusing to remove the second charge on my home unless I pay the £XXXX.00 redemption fee unless they grant me a deed of postponement , what about the fact that their incompetence  prejudiced my decision to not ask the Court to make the other party pay for the excessive costs of the divorce which the other party solely caused ? Thanks , Smolt 
  • Recommended Topics

  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like
  • Recommended Topics

02 problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5100 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

My OH and I had been with 02 for years and upgraded last in June 2008. As of June 2009 our bills were really high due to being out of contract with them. There was a balance of approx £300 on the account (from dodgy texts received) this was put into dispute several times and 02 had to be chased constantly only to inform us that we were liable to pay it!! I wasn't happy about this but when I enquired about another upgrade the lady said that if we kept our handsets we would get £150 each. I agreed as this would have cleared off the balance and our handsets were like brand new. I said I would call back after discussing with my OH.


A few days later I called back and they said that they couldn't offer us an upgrade due to the balance on the account. I called up one of the morons in the collections dept and he was a total ar$e - he hung up and then restricted both our phones (outgoing calls). Bearing in mind that each month I had religiously paid for the months bills used.


Just before xmas I went shopping and took both phones to buy new sim cards for them (to check if they worked when unlocked if not bought from 02 store). I lost them and called up 02 - it took me 3 days to get through (as the systems were down whenever I called). They refused to honour the claim as the account still had the balance on.


I took legal advice and the lady said that I was to write a letter to them asking which specific part of the t&cs they were relying upon when refusing my claim. It doesn't say anything about the balance being up to date. I wrote back to them stating this and also stating that 1. they had restricted our calls - yet had still charged a full months call plan (+ a month in advance) that we were unable to use for part of the month and not at all when I lost the phones 2. The insurance premiums were paid in full and in good faith - they had failed to honour the policy that had been paid for - and also charged another month in advance (after I had lost the phones). I stated that after these amounts were deducted + 18 mths (x2) of £6 insurance + 2 new handsets that we had to buy due to their not honouring our insurance - this would more than cover the balance that was owed.


They have sent threatening letters and I think Westcot have tried to phone regarding this. But I haven't heard anything for a few weeks now - what can I do?? How does the contract thing work with mobile phones??Can they take me to court without advising me first? Sorry for the long post.

Edited by foxyflugel
told off from post reader for no line breaks!!
Link to post
Share on other sites

god please edit your post and enter some lines breaks......then we might be able to read it properly.


however, it would take a long process for them, [and it would be a DCA that does it i get] to court, a VERY long way off and very remote.


how about reclaiming the insurance back? must be a bit like PPI i bet



worth a try?



please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Under what circumstances did you 'lose' both phones?


I went into town and was planning on buying 2 new sim cards from the 02 shop. I took both phones as I thought if another provider had a better offer I would need to get them unlocked to use vodafone/orange sim cards (I was told this by someone).


I had them both in a small carrier bag with my purchase from boots as I had no deep pockets to keep them in. I sat down on a bench to wait for my sister whilst she went into a shop (I was having a cigarette) and then when she came out we walked back to the car.


On arriving at the car, I realised that I had picked up all my bags but there was 2 missing (one being the one with the phones in) We immediately ran back and retraced our steps but could not find either bag. I then called my phone from my sisters phone and it went straight to answerphone.


What were the reasons given by the insurer for not meeting your claim for replacement?[/quote]


They said that it was due to the outstanding balance on the account. I sent a letter asking them to state exactly what paragraph in the terms and conditions they were relying on in this decision. They said it was the one which says " ......take full responsibility for the cost of insurance, calls etc etc " - however, the insurance and cost of calls was paid in full - it was the disputed amount that was outstanding.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have also received a threatening letter from Westcot and they have left a message on my landline also. What are the chances of this going to court as the amount they are saying I owe includes £12 (£6 x2)insurance premium in advance plus one months call plan in advance (£24 x 2). Surely they can't do this as the phones had been lost? and also to charge and claim for insurance premiums on phones that have been lost - when they have refused to pay out on my claim??????How can they insure phones that I do not have???????:evil:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never seen any terms from an insurer that supposedly covered physical goods that the policy could be made invalid due to bills not being paid. It would be like your household insurance being denied after a break-in, because you hadn't paid your Coucil Tax!


The crux of the matter is what the Policy terms stipulate. If they DO say the phone account has to be in good order, you could counter by saying this is invalid as an unfair and irrelevat condition. If it isn't mentioned your next actin is to send them an LBA, requesting full ettlement of the outstanding amounts within 28 days. If they don't pay up, you then use Moneyclaim Online or your local Court to seek financial redress for their actions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...