Charges refunded. But they now want them back.

LordLee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1877 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

LordLee

This seems to be taking a rather extende amount of time to sort out.

We may be bale to give you some serious assistance here - plus there are important issues but I think that you will need to get a move on and be a bit more proactive please

i have the letter scanned and will be posting this afternoon

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

did you incur more charges after they paid out on your first claim?

i don't know. this is why i need to submit an SAR. all i know is when the account was closed i was £180 overdrawn.

one complication is that whilst the account was closed my place of work accidently paid my salary into the wrong account (as in the A&L suspended account). I had to fight to get it withdrawn. I had to pay a token £35 to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Estoppel applies when, for instance, a bank tells the customer that his debt has been cleared- they are estopped from being able to re-instate the debt and request payment at a later date. Or for another example, when a garage tells the customer that the repairs carried out were free of charge, they cannot later raise an invoice for these works.

You get the idea :)

the original poster was overdrawn by £359 and the bank ceased collection, for whatever reason.

he reclaimed charges and was sent a cheque for the amount under hardship rules. This means the overdraft of £359 stayed as it was.

now the bank has resumed collection and wants the overdraft paid. Had they refunded under a normal complaint then this would have gone towards the overdraft and the remaining amount sent to the claimant.

so the bank is still owed £359 because they have refunded charges to the claimant, which he should have used to pay off the overdraft, which would put him in the same position as if the charges hadn't been applied.

Estoppel applies when, for instance, a bank tells the customer that his debt has been cleared- they are estopped from being able to re-instate the debt and request payment at a later date. Or for another example, when a garage tells the customer that the repairs carried out were free of charge, they cannot later raise an invoice for these works.

You get the idea :)

i've tried estoppel but it doesn't seem to work, either with the bank or at the FOS. The bank seems to be able to change its mind whenever it wants.

at court it may be a different thing and i'll find out soon.

I used it with my insurance company with much success over a claim costing them well over £3500, maybe just got lucky- who knows... But considering the debt isn't too impressive it might be worth seeing what their reaction would be.

• 1 month later...