• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Henderson Booth & Snell - Statute barred?

Davitz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5237 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there and thanks for looking.

In July of 1996 my house was repossessed by Halifax. Since then I have been receiving letters roughly every 18 months from Halifax and various DCAs. This morning I have received another one, this time from Henderson Booth & Snell. They are wanting me to fill in an I & E form and make an offer etc.

I have had absolutely no contact with Halifax or any of the DCAs at any point in the last 13 1/2 years, so have never acknowledged the debt.

The mortgage was a joint mortgage with my ex-girlfriend, who moved out of the property about 2 years before it was repossessed. Her name was never removed from the mortgage.

After reading a few threads it would appear that this debt is now statute barred. There is one thing that I am unsure about though. I have no idea whether my ex has ever acknowledged her half of the debt. Would that have any effect on the debt being statute barred for me? From the sum involved it would appear that they are persuing me for the whole of the debt.

If this is statute barred could somebody please point me to a template letter to send to them?

Thanks.

We don't have a letter for that. Mortgage related debt is barred after 12 years.

Write and tell them very simply that you do not acknowledge any debt and that if there is any debt then it would be statute barred anyway.

Keep copies of everything.

Contact your ex and let her know and find out if she has been contacted and what she has done.

Probably best to do this before you write to the DCA

Hi

1. the girlfriend

I would think it might be a good idea to contact your ex to see what she has done, if anything, and find out what correspondence she has received.

You should also tell her you are on this site and to watch your thread so that you can both be advised together since you are both potentially liable for the debt. I tmight be an idea for her to join the site and sub your thread so she is kept up to date with posts.

Perhaps you could also ask her if she will give you copies of any correspondence she has ever sent or received with regard to this debt and you should offer her the same.

Also ask her at this stage NOT to talk to any DCA, or to acknowledge the debt in any way.

2. Statute Barred?

It sounds like it could be statute barred but I am not an expert. As I understand it if you have not made a payment for six years (five in Scotland) or otherwise acknowledged the debt then in most, but not all, cases it is statute barred. What I think this means is that whilst you still owe the money the creditor has no legal means of enforcing the debt. (However, PLEASE WAIT for some other CAGers to come on and add their views).

Please advise:

If you are in England or Scotland.

What court documents you have received I.E. repossession orders, CCJ's etc and their dates.

Don't post it up at this stage, just state what you have and the dates.

Hopefully others will come on here with more specific advice.

3. The DCA

I have not heard of Henderson Booth & Snell but there are a lot of life forms in the pond!

I would personally not reply at all. I would certainly not make them an offer and I would never submit an I&E to them or anybody other than a court if it ordered me to do so. An I&E gives them loads of information about you and allows them to identify weaknesses in your situation that they can exploit.

Never talk to them. Not ever. If they ring put the phone down. If they call back leaved the phone off hook.

All comms to be written.

One other thing; it might be good idea to check your credit record with the three main agencies to see if you have any defaults showing with regard to this debt.

Good Luck

Thank you for the replies so far.

Unfortunately I have no paperwork at all for any of the repossession due to my ex-wife destroying everything that I owned whilst I was sleeping rough for twelve months after the breakdown of our marriage. What I do remember is that I was taken to court in April 1996 and given 3 months to vacate the property, which I did in July 1996. During this 3 month period I paid £50 per week to Halifax as rent.

Regarding the ex-girlfriend, that issue is what prompted me to post this question in the first place. I really do not want to have to get in touch with her, but realise that I may have to. What I need to find out is whether her actions affect the debt being statute barred for myself i.e. If she has acknowledged the debt and I have not, could it be that the debt is statute barred for myself but not for her?

Regards.

With regard to the ex girlfriend you could perhaps write her a business-like letter just stating the facts and pointing out it is your mutual interests to work together. In that regard you could work together through the CAG so as to keep contact to the minimum necessary.