• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Unenforceable Agreement Case Details

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6160 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all!

A POSSIBLE USEFUL PRECEDENT CASE ...............

The case of

LONDON NORTH SECURITIES LTD. V MR.& MRS. MEADOWS & ANOTHER

(COURT OF APPEAL [2005] EWCA Civ 956)

The details of this case can be found on the following website:

London North Securities Ltd v Mr

Also,there is a link to details of the full case.

Basically,any agreement becomes unenforceable when say a lump sum PPI amount is added BEFORE calculating interest and thus in breach of Section 127(3) of

the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

sorry if i am highjacking this thread, but i am a bit interesred in this, but not sure if this affects me.

after send DPA reqest and recieving statements from halifax re. two loans i had with them ,i noticed that there was a sum for insurance added to the loans.

i was quite suprised by this as i was never informed that any insurance was required and what it was for. it also seems quite expensive at 955 against a 7,000 loan plus the fact that i had been paying interst on it for 3 years. i have not started a claim against halifax as yet because i have 4 claims in process at the moment.

Do you think any of the above posts are relavent to what i have just stated?

:mad:LF53

can't be sure,but IMHO if you ae sold insurance you should at least have been informed beforehand,and given the opportunity not to take it up.

If it was a compulsory condition of the loan being accepted,I would have thought that thay may have been an unfair condition placed upon you.IMHO of course...

Guest NATTIE

back to the thread. from my original reading of the case it seems that what the company that sold the mortagage stated was that the insurance was the only way that the mortgage was going to go through and that no information as to what the insurance covered and the exclusion were which is in part why the judgement was successful. The company did not give the option of no insurance even though that was what was asked of in the first place. Will finish off reading the full judgement later on.

Hi all!

From what I understand and conclude here:

The loan MUST be regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 i.e.

1.either an unsecured loan upto to £25,000 - based on current limits.

or

2.A secured loan upto to £25,000 - based on current limits.

The difference between regulated and unregulated is that there IS a cooling off period - to mainly to protect consumers from pushy salespeople.It is a very serious matter for the lending company/broker that is placing the finance to contact the consumer during the cooling off period - I think it is 16 days(2 weeks plus 1 day each way for 1st class post) but not visa versa.

Regarding this specific case,the regulated loan threshold was £10,000 at the time.

3.Another issue is that the type of loan i.e. non-status,adverse,clean credit etc is of no bearing.It is how the agreement is drafted that counts.

4.In comparision to the other case that was allowed in favour of the lending company was it seems mainly because the arrears seemed very modest.Thus there was no exploitation of the consumer.I have yet to conclude any further distinctive differences.I will read through the cases again.There maybe be more to come!

5.Finally to add on further,a mortgage say for £50,000 would not be covered under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.However,this may not necessarily mean it would be enforceable if say arrears letters charges etc were added on.My guess would be that it would come under the Unfair Terms Legislation.Personally,I think any unlawful charges i.e.arrears letters,"iffy Payment Protection Plan amount" would be added up and removed from the balance owed plus any interest that may have been charged then the amount owed would be calculated again in order to reach to the correct figure.Could be complicated if it streched over a few years but seems to be the correct method to obtain accurate figures.

Anyway,another interesting thing for us all to investigate more!

At the moment,this is my further 2p's worth!

open and direct retail add interest to the insurance and alot at that.

-----------------------------------------------

Mortgage Express charges- settled in full after issuing claim

------------------------------------------------

To view the FAQ'S click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

To view the PRELIM letter click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

To view the Letter Before Action click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-3-letter-before-action.html

To find Registered Address:

http://www.esd.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/esd/search.asp

If my advise helps click here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/reputation.php?p=366404

Guest NATTIE

please look at the link and read the case and full judgement, original loan required £2000, total cost including arrears on two previous mortgages and insurance premium that was not wanted £5750. Interest he got charged 34%.

It is worth a read of the judgement and why it won and it refers to another case similar that didn't win.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All

Ive been reading the link re the case with the contract which included insurance and other charges

London North Securities Ltd v Mr

If i read it correctly part of the reason for the contract being ruled unenforceable was to do with the fact the insurance was added as part of the total amount of loan rather than as a seperate item.

There was also a question about the consumer believing that the insurance was required as part of the contract rather than as an option, therefore they were forced to take it to get the loan.

Have i understood the case correctly?

If I have got it wrong does this mean that including the insurance in the final amount of the loan would render a contract unenforceable?

Cheers

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

hi glen...i have looked at this and the basis of this case was that the loan was not correctly laid out, as in the breakdown of the loan was not correctly worded.

as in the insurance was not entered as an individual part of the agreement it was all placed in one item which in turn left questions as to if the credit for the ppi was part o the credit or not. basically if you take out a loan which inludes ppi, it must clearly be added on after the intial loan sum and itemised as such. this was a pretty tricky example to use anyway due to the time lapse and lack of defence available and also the interest rates were quite high.

ppi seems to be a very grey area where loans are concerned prior to 2005 where amendments were enforced regarding its sale. i think there will be a lot of issues and problems arising from ppis that were sold prior to this amendment, and i for one am studying an issue of a loan with i beleive missale of ppi insurance occurring.

"ALWAYS QUOTE ME AS BEING MISQUOTED" :D

Hi Glenn

If i read it correctly part of the reason for the contract being ruled unenforceable was to do with the fact the insurance was added as part of the total amount of loan rather than as a seperate item.

Yes it should have been added to total charge for credit rather than included in credit amount.

There was also a question about the consumer believing that the insurance was required as part of the contract rather than as an option, therefore they were forced to take it to get the loan.

Yes if there was an option to take out the credit it could be included as part of the credit rather than as total charge for credit.

If I have got it wrong does this mean that including the insurance in the final amount of the loan would render a contract unenforceable?

Only if the loan was conditional upon taking out the insurance.

Incidentally adding an admin charge to loan amountrather than charge for credit will also render contract unenforceable.

See:

House of Lords - Wilson and others v. Secretary of State for Trade and Industry (Appellant)

Hope this helps

Zoot

Zoot

Thanks for coming back so quickly, youre a star.

So in the loan i have with egg, the agreement states the amount of the initial loan, then a seperatie item listed as ppi, followed by a total amount of the loan.

The original agreement i signed had the amount on, but i was never asked if i wanted the insurance and the thing i signed didnt give me an option to reject/confrim acceptance.

Bearing in mind you havent seen it if i am correct is this likley to make the loan unenforceble?

FWIW the loan has been short settled, if the agreement is not enforceable then it may have an impact on the action i will take against egg. Oh if its of any importance the agreement was taken out in 2003.

THanks

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi Glenn,

Its difficult to say. Also the case is unreliable as it was based on Consumer Credit (Total Charge for Credit) Regulations 1980, as they stood in April 1989 which I think have been superseded by new provisions.

I'll do some more digging later to see if I can find anything out.

Hi Lickthewall

If its credit card then its running account rather than a fixed sum so the issue of stating the correct figure in the actual original document does not arise.

Unfortunately adding interest to the PPI is not initself unlawful

Zoot

I took a loan with associates\CITI in May 2003 which I have now paid off. It was to pay off an original loan with them, a loan with another company and give me some money as I was getting married for our honeymoon. I didnt want to take the insurance as it was high and my work are good to staff for accident/sickness/redundancy. I later took voluntary redundancy as my job was being outsourced and used this money to pay off the loan - would i be able to do anything about this seeing as I was told the only way they could offer me the loan was with the insurance which was very expensive? For info I signed the loan papers in their office and got the money that same day.

Nikkiandmidgets Vs BOS (3) - S.A.R sent 11/09/06

Nikkiandmidgets Vs Capital One (2) - S.A.R sent 11/09/06, Prelims sent 20/10/06, LBA's sent 16/11/06

Nikkiandmidgets Vs Citi credit card - S.A.R sent 11/09/06, Prelim sent 9/10/06, LBA sent 28/10/06

Nikkiandmidgets Vs Halifax - S.A.R sent 11/09/06

Nikkiandmidgets Vs Egg (4) - S.A.R. sent 20/10/06

Nikkiandmidget Vs Littlewoods (3) - S.A.R sent 20/10/06

Nikkiandmidgets Vs Blackhorse - Prelim sent 20/10/06 requesting £125 charges to be refunded. LBA sent 16/11/06.

Nikkiandmidgets Vs Welcome Finance (Macadam Finance) - S.A.R and C.C.A request sent 20/10/06

My Mum Vs Halifax - S.A.R sent 11/09/06

My Mum Vs Capital One - S.A.R sent 20/10/06

My Mum Vs Citi - S.A.R sent 20/10/06

My Mum Vs SLC - S.A.R and C.C.A sent 09/10/06

Husband Vs BOS (3) - S.A.R sent 20/10/06