Intrum Justitia and student loans

Missan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3711 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello!

I'm Swedish living in London since a few years back.

I have student loans from 2002 -2004 before I came to London and now a part of that loan has been bought by Intrum Justitia which now has started to threaten me and the usual that many seem to have been putting up with from them from what I've read here.

Anyway, I was wondering about the CCA request letter. Does that apply to my situation or is that only for credit cards, loans, etc?

If it does apply, what changes do I need to make to the stock letter?

Hi.

Were the loans taken out in Sweden or in the UK? If in the UK there are two types of loans one can be statue barred the other cannot I beleive.

If you give more information I am sure you will get the right advise here.

Do not worry about Intrum Justita they bark well but dont have much of a bite, and never speak to them on the phone.

The loans were all taken in Sweden before I moved here.

Of course, what information do you need?

I spoke with them once very briefly, I won't do that again.

So I don't have to worry that they come and take stuff?

I have my own little company with my fiancee and we work from home so I have equipment here that I fear they would take, even though they aren't in my name but the company's.

If the loans were taken out in Sweden then they are covered by Swedish law regarding recovery.

Within member states of the EU debts can be enforced I dont know about Swedish student loans so dont know the position regarding them.

However Intrium Justita have no power at all. They can not take any property of yours they make threats that they will do this and do that, and send the boys around to take your property, but they are just empty threats to scare you in to paying.

You would have to research Swedish student loans and the ability to enforce them.

If you wish to hold off Intrium Justita make them earn anything they may, and ask for proof of the debt, and their authority to ask for repayment.

Do your research regarding the loans but do not lose a minutes sleep over Intrium Justita they have no power at all.

PS if you do write to anyone over this matter do not sign the letters.

PPS found this

http://sydsvenskan.se/obs/article424425/CSN-detektiver-ska-leta-utomlands.html

Edited by esmerobbo

Thank you esmerobbo!

My main worry was Intrum Justitia coming and taking stuff.

I got a letter from solicitors (Bill Holohan & Associates Solicitors) on the behalf of Intrum Justitia where they said they would recommend their client to take legal actions against me if I didn't comply within 7 days of the letters date (which was 15th December and I got their letter 2 days ago).

I had written to Intrum Justitia in the beginning of November asking to sort out a payment plan (unfortunately I signed it, but won't do it anymore after finding this website and it's useful information). And didn't hear from them until this letter from the solicitors.

I haven't had any salary since April and me and my fiancee are now applying for benefit.

Yes that article is similar to many others about CSN (Swedish student loan people) and how they have started to use Facebook and other sites to find people abroad (who willingly share peoples info without their approval), and how they have written an agreement with Intrum Justitia to work with them.

Edited by Missan

As far as I understand a European Enforcement Order can only be obtained once enforcement has been obtained in the country of the creditor.

Someone with more knowledge may confirm this.

Maybe they have got an order by default in Sweden that they have passed to these solicitors here.

However these loans have nothing to do with your partner they can not ask anything from him. Any enforcement would be done though the courts against you alone. If you have no assets and you are on benefits any District Judge would make the lowest order probably £1 per month until you found employment.

I would still like to see what authority they are trying to collect under. It is your right to know if they have the right to collect.

• 1 year later...

Hej Missan!

I read you post regarding CSN and Interim Justitia and Bill Holohan. I was wondering what happened? Did Bill Holohan get in touch with you and send you a court order? I am in a very similar situation to yourself. I have been living in UK since finishing studying but struggling with money and CSN ask for so much money, there is no way I can afford to pay CSN and live a life!

I would really like to hear about your experience, please let me know as I have just received a letter from Bill Holohan

• 5 months later...

Hi Wotsits80, I am now in a similar situation although I haven't had a Holohan letter yet, just one letter from Intrum Justitia, what happened in your case? Best wishes

Thanks Missan

I'm being unfairly asked by csn to repay all my loans even before i've finished my studies because they're saying that i wasn't studying full-time for one of my semesters. I told csn i would pay it back in instalments, they said no and gave me one month to pay everything back! So not much point in calling them again i think. I got some legal advice and the lawyer said if Intrum Justitia do try to take legal action they would have to apply for change of jurisdiction first and that is a really lengthy and expensive process so they probably won't bother and even if they got change of jurisdiction the courts here would only order me to pay what i can afford in instalments which is what i've already offered them anyway! I would really like to know whether legal action has been taken in any of these csn cases. I looked up European Enforcement Orders on wiki and it seems esmerobbo is right, they would have to take me to court in Sweden first (which is fine with me) so it seems they only use Intrum Justitia as bullies to save them having to go to court.

• 1 year later...

HI Missan

Just came a across your thread . Im facing a similar situation with CSN. Just wondering if you changed address or moved away from the UK seeing CSN never contacted you after the CCA request letter as I keep getting letters every year.

Thanks

p.s glad they haven't contacted you again! d.s

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I'm joining a couple of threads here to do with CSA demands for large amounts after years of no contact. I am in the first instance stating that my loan should be considered the equivalent to statute barred in Sweden, as the 10 yr period of no contact ended before this was extended to 25 yrs in 2011 but am uncertain if by stating this now I am too late?

I wonder how you all have got on. I am struggling to find anyone with the expertise of how the enforcement laws work between the two countries (UK and Sweden) and if the loan is being collected on behalf of CSN or if CSN has sold it off. I also wonder if anyone has been contacted by a UK debt collector who have taken them to court and what that process of notifying you was.

I'd be really grateful for anyone to share their experience.