• Tweets

• Yeah I figured, unlikely I'll need credit anyway mortgage all paid off etc so I'll take that on the chin and learn from the experience. Probably would've beaten that too had I remembered the protocol, first time ever going through the process though sob it wasn't familiar to me  Oh well  
    • This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Gruffle Gaw v Halifax ***SETTLED IN FULL***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6426 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

What a great community there is on this site.

I began my quest to get £1531 of bank charges back from Halifax about a month ago, after reading an article in a national newspaper outlining the legal situation. Unfortunately I didn't stumble across this site until today, so I have already started the process without the benefit of the good advice on it.

I've now read the FAQ. While I've gone in a vaguely similar direction to the steps recommended on this site, I didn't read them before I started this so I haven't followed them precisely. Therefore, I was hoping others who have successfully got their cash back from Halifax could give me some advice.

I closed my account with Halifax at the end of 2004/2005, after my parents came to the rescue and paid off a £1,000 overdraft I had with them (largely the result of the outrageous charges they had levied on my account). At the time we asked for some of the charges to be refunded but our request was met with a resounding no. I felt angry at the time but didn't realise there was anything I could do.

Then this summer, I read the article I mentioned. Unfortunately I didn't keep very many (if any) of the statements from the account after it closed, but I promptly fired off a letter to Halifax requesting a list of all the charges they had made to my account under the Data Protection Act. I'll post that letter and the correspondence I have sent and received in relation to it below.

My question is, which of the form letters on this site should I send next? I'm not sure what stage I'm at in relation to the steps.

Thanks, everyone.

Gruffle Gaw vs Halifax - £1531.50: ***WON - cheque for £1966.78 received 30/09/06***:)

I'm not a legal professional and my advice is given without prejudice or liability.

If you found my post helpful, please click the scales on the left.

Data Protection request (Tuesday, July 11):

Dear sirs,

I am a former customer of Halifax, and had a current account at you XXXX, XXXX branch which I later transferred to your XXXX branch when I moved back in with my parents after finishing university.

After a series of unfair bank charges I paid off my overdraft, along with the charges you imposed on it, and closed the account.

I have since moved to XXXX, XXXX to begin a career in journalism.

I am writing to you to request under the Data Protection Act 1998 that you supply me with a written summary of all charges you made to my current account while it was open, including but not limited to charges for going over my overdraft and returned cheques. As you are no doubt aware, you have a legal obligation to provide me with this information, which I will be comparing to the bank statements I have kept. [Not that I've kept many, but I didn't want them to realise that in case they 'forgot' to include a few of the charges.]

In order to help you locate the records on the account, I will provide you with the following information:

[i included plenty of information about myself and the account here.]

If you need further information from me, or a fee, please contact me at the address above as soon as possible.

Yours faithfully,

XXXX

Gruffle Gaw vs Halifax - £1531.50: ***WON - cheque for £1966.78 received 30/09/06***:)

I'm not a legal professional and my advice is given without prejudice or liability.

I received the following response dated July 27th:

Dear Ms XXXX,

Thank you for your letter on 11th July 2006.

My understanding of your complaint is that you want all your bank charges refunded.

We're keen to deal with your concerns as quickly as possible. A customer relations manager will investigate the points you have raised and you will receive a reply shortly, but certainly no later than 4 weeks.

You will find enclosed a copy of our leaflet, which tells you how we will handle your complaint.

Yours sincerely,

XXXX

Redress assessor

Core business team

Customer relations

Enc. Personal Customer Complaints - Here's what we'll do [a useless and patronising leaflet that went straight into my recycling box[

After receiving this, I was concerned they were going to fob me off by ignoring the Data Protection request and treating it like a complaint (and I saw the contempt with which they treated customer complaints when I had the misfortune to bank with them). So on August 1st I responded:

Dear Mr XXXX,

I am writing in response to your letter dated July 27, 2006 (reference number XXXX).

You state that your understanding of what you refer to as my ‘complaint’ is that I want all my bank charges refunded. This is correct. However, to clarify the situation, I am not asking Halifax to make a decision as to whether my bank charges should be refunded. I asked for some of them to be refunded when my account was closed but my request was denied.

However, I have since learned more about the legal situation pertaining to bank charges. When an individual goes over his or her overdraft, this amounts to a breach of contract under the law. The bank is entitled to charge the account holder a fee to cover the administration costs associated with correcting the situation. However, the bank is not entitled to charge what amounts to a penalty fee. I think the Halifax legal team will have some trouble justifying upwards of £20 as a reasonable fee to cover administration.

My letter requested a list of all the bank charges made to the account I held at Halifax. As you are no doubt aware, you have a legal obligation to furnish me with this information under the Data Protection Act. When I receive this information I will compare it with the bank statements I hold from that period. I then intend to sue Halifax for the sum of the bank charges levied on my account and an allowance for inflation. A county court judge will decide what constitutes an appropriate administration charge for each occasion I breached my contract with Halifax, and presumably subtract this from the damages he awards me.

Once I receive the information I have requested under the Data Protection Act I will write to you again giving formal notice of my intention to sue. In the meantime, if you wish to settle the matter by refunding the bank charges made to my account in full, feel free to contact me at the address above.

Failing this, I look forward to setting a precedent so that other bank users can avoid the distress that was caused to me as a result of the unlawful bank charges made by your company.

Yours sincerely,

XXXX

I received the following response on August 11:

Dear Ms XXXX,

Thank you for your recent letter, I am sorry to learn that you are unhappy with the charges you have incurred on your account.

I am sure you will appreciate that like other organisations we incur costs for every transaction made. When we pay an item against an unauthorised overdraft or return an item unpaid, we incur extra costs regardless of the shortfall involved. We believe it is fair to pass these costs on to the accounts affected, rather than to absorb them into other areas of our operations, penalising all our other customers as a result.

We clearly outline our charging policy in the terms and conditions that apply to your account. In addition, we are committed to complying with the Banking Code, which sets standards of good practice for banks and building societies to follow when dealing with personal customers. The terms and conditions of your account state that you must have funds in your account to cover your transactions. We cannot be responsible if you have authorised payments against funds that were not available.

We are keen to help you avoid any unnecessary charges by providing various ways to keep track of your account. You can do this via [various methods, irrelevant since my account has been closed and further confirmation of my suspicion that this is a form letter].

Ultimately it is your responsibility to manage your account. However, as a gesture of goodwill I am prepared to refund £165.00 of charges in full and final settlement of your complaint [Pah!]. I must stress that future valid charges will stand and we reserve the right to close your account if you do not manage it correctly [did she even read my last letter?]. If you are prepared to accept my offer, please sign and return the enclosed acceptance form in the pre-paid envelope.

Turning to your request for an exhaustive list of charges. Whilst I acknowledge it is your legal right to apply formally under the Data Protection Act for all the records we hold on you, your request is very specific. There is normally a £10 charge for a formal request; however in the interests of customer service I have provided a list of your bank charges for the last six years/since your account was opened, free of charge [it seems they're generous souls, even if they can't read :) ].

You recently received a copy of out leaflet [some waffle about somplaints procedures, how keen they are to hear my concerns and my right to contact the financial ombudsman, of which I'm well aware]. If I don't hear from you within the next eight weeks I will assume you are happy.

If you'd like to discuss your concerns, please telephone me on XXXX.

Your sincerely,

XXXX (a different staff member from the first).

They enclosed a form for me to fill in if I wanted to accept the £165 in full and final settlement of the account [not likely], a pre-paid envelope and alist of all the charges along with the date they had been made. Unfortunately there was no description for what each one was for. They ranged from £2.50 to £30 and totalled a whopping £1531.50 - money I could really do with.

Obviously, I am not going to accept the pittance they are offering in leiu of the money they pilfered from me. But I'm unsure of whether I need to send the court warning letter, the letter before it or just submit my online application already. I'd rather do the latter and get things rolling. Are there any good reasons not to?

Write back to the bank telling them you are accepting their offer as partial payment of your claim, and give them a further 7 days to remit you the full amount, advise them that you will be seeking to retrieve the full amount through the courts

The terms they have offered it on are as full and final settlement, though. Are you saying I can change the terms? If so, do I need to create a new form for them to sign?

Hi Gruffle Gaw

Your "sort of" at the prelim letter stage I think! You need to write back to them accepting £165 as a partial settlement, but telling them that you will be persuing a claim for a refund of the full amount - see prelim letter in library section. You might be best including some of the wording from the template, particularly the bits about "what you require" and "targets to resolve the matter". I think it's quite important to be able to show that you've given the bank sufficient notice and time to resolve this if it gets to the court stage.

You'll also need to send a schedule of the charges you're claiming (see spreadsheet also in Library section).

Good luck (though you won't need it!) and keep us posted!

MrsR

Us & Halifax

07.07.06 - Prelim ltr sent claiming £2364; 10.07.06 - Acknowledgement; 15.07.06 - Offer of £310 (don't think so!); 21.07.06 - LBA sent claiming £2481; 12.08.06 - Increased offer of £926 (still don't think so!); 31.08.06 - Lodged Claim at local court £2598 + interest + costs; 07.09.06 - Notice of Issue deemed served 09.09.06;

Husband & Halifax Visa

20.07.06 - Prelim ltr sent claiming £650; 11.08.06 - Reply refusing to refund any charges; 15.08.06 - LBA sent; 26.08.06 - Reply saying dealing with complaint!; 31.08.06 - Lodged Claim at local court £650 + interest + costs; 06.09.06 - Offer of £250 (bit late!); 07.09.06 - Notice of Issue deemed served 09.09.06;

Mum & HSBC

31.08.06 - Data Protection Act letter hand delivered to branch;

Amex & GE Capital - we're gonna getcha :D

Thanks guys. I'll send it off tonight. Do you think I need to get a copy of all the statements pertaining to my account (could be costly, but then I'd know what all the charges were for)?

Hi regardinging the statements the halifax do not list them seperatly only as charges as notified. If you request under the DPA it should only cost you between £5and £10 but you have already passed this stage. On the breakdown of chatges all I wrote was charges as notified and the court has accepted it hope this helps

OK, prelim letter sent by first class recorded delivery today, just to make sure they don't 'lose' it. I've made some alterations to it, putting in the bit about the fact I'm prepared to accept the partial refund they've offered without prejudice to my claim for the full amount.

• 2 weeks later...

The bank still hasn't replied and with my 14-day deadline ending on Tuesday, I'm getting ready to send the letter before action. Do I include the interest calculations at this stage?

Not 8% interest no - that's added/included when you fill in your claim for court

MrsR

Us & Halifax

07.07.06 - Prelim ltr sent claiming £2364; 10.07.06 - Acknowledgement; 15.07.06 - Offer of £310 (don't think so!); 21.07.06 - LBA sent claiming £2481; 12.08.06 - Increased offer of £926 (still don't think so!); 31.08.06 - Lodged Claim at local court £2598 + interest + costs; 07.09.06 - Notice of Issue deemed served 09.09.06;

Husband & Halifax Visa

20.07.06 - Prelim ltr sent claiming £650; 11.08.06 - Reply refusing to refund any charges; 15.08.06 - LBA sent; 26.08.06 - Reply saying dealing with complaint!; 31.08.06 - Lodged Claim at local court £650 + interest + costs; 06.09.06 - Offer of £250 (bit late!); 07.09.06 - Notice of Issue deemed served 09.09.06;

Mum & HSBC

31.08.06 - Data Protection Act letter hand delivered to branch;

Amex & GE Capital - we're gonna getcha :D

Still no reply. Letter Before Action posted today, proof of postage obtained.

Just wondering, how far do they usually take this before they pay up? Is the light at the end of the tunnel in sight yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. From what I've read in these threads, they seem to allow the papers to be served in the vast majority of cases. They still haven't bothered to respond to my preliminary letter or my LBA, so I've resigned myself to going down that route. I understand there's some information available somewhere on this site about how to fill in the court forms and prepare - can anyone provide a link, please?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/ If you go here and see all the library templates you'll be looking at N1 form if you are taking it to court yourself or MCOL to do it on line you will also see particulars of claim help inthere too copy and paste it when your ready.at this point and only at this point that you add 8% s69 County Court Acts 1984.USE the spread sheet for calculations (In the Library)and it also adds the 8% inthe next page where it says 8% automatically.Hope this helps Read read and read as much as possible in the threads regards Nigel

HALIFAX CURRENT ACCOUNT SETTLED IN FULL 9/9/06.

N1 form completed 05-06-07,LBA sent 14-05-07,2nd go!Prelim sent 24/04/07

Halifax Visa 1.Paid in full

Halifax Classic.Paid in full.

LBA sent 14-05-07,GMAC prelim sent 24/04/07

Data Protection Act for halifax mortgage 16/09/06.

Thanks guys.

Curiously the Halifax have now responded to my LBA, just before the court action deadline of the 13th. They've increased their offer to just over £450. I'm not going to take this unless it is offered as partial payment rather than as full and final settlement, so I'm about to send them the letter from the templates library politely rejecting their offer.

However, even if I send it today it seems unlikely they'll get it before my deadline for filling in the court papers. I'm wondering whether I should give them a few extra days to allow for this or proceed precisely in accordance with my timetable. Does anyone have views or similar experiences to share?

Anyone?

I think general consensus would be to send another 'partial payment only' letter, but stick to your timetable.

On the other hand, if you're feeling especially generous, you could give them a couple of extra days to reply - I'm sure they afforded you the same consideration when they were applying charges...;O)

All the best with your claim,

Lucy.

Lucycat vs. Halifax 13/9 - £4496.99 - WON!

Lucycat vs. MBNA (Alliance & Leicester) - 16/11 - Offer of £295 received - pursuing £575.

Lucycat vs. HSBC - 15/11 - MCOL filed - £1438 (& interest at 8% - another £392.49)

Lucycat vs. Capital One 15/11 - Offer of £136 received - pursuing £340.

Lucycat vs. Halifax - Mortgage ERC - 18/10 - LBA sent - £466.32.

Lucycat vs. Halifax - Mortgage Charges - 9/11 - D.P.A. Non-Compliance letter delivered.

Lucycat vs. LloydsTSB - Loan PPI - 5/10 - Statement received.

Lucycat vs. LloydsTSB - 20/10 - Prelim sent for £45 - returned undelivered, recipient has 'gone away'...! :o

* Lucycat vs. Carphone Warehouse - 13/11 - S.A.R. delivered. * Lucycat vs. Volkswagen Finance - 9/11 - S.A.R. delivered. * Lucycat vs. Barclaycard - 15/11 - S.A.R. sent out.

Thanks.

The deadline's up and I'm going to fill out the court forms today. However, I can't open the any of the spreadsheet that calculate the 8% interest. I'm working on a Mac and the Google one won't open for some reason and I don't have Excel so the Excel one won't open either. I can probably work it out myself given the basic formula - do you have to go through each charge individually and calculate *% APR from the date of the charge to the date of the claim? Mine are spread between 2002 and 2004 so this could involve some work. Is there an easier way to work it out that I'll be able to access?

Just submitted my Moneyclaim. I'm feeling a bit apprehensive but I suppose everyone goes through this. I find the site very frustrating and totally un-user-friendly. I did forget to stipulate on the form that I want to be paid by cheque, though - is there any way to add this or make it happen by some other means?