• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Egg card question

e_inspired
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5309 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Got a case currently in Court with egg. Can anybody confirm if the number at the bottom of their egg agreement matches with their egg card number/ account number? e.g looks like 1 123456 100.

Also I believe egg will only let a customer have one egg card at a time? I have two agreements one signed by me on 30/10/2002 and another signed on 26/11/2002.

The application review page for the one signed on 30/10/2002 has PPI as none, the 26/11/2002 one has PPI as sickness etc.

I don't understand why I would apply twice and believe the second agreement was sent to cover mistakes in the first agreement and the PPI was added at that time.

Its all confusing and odd at the moment :confused:

Hi,

Don't know if it's any help but if it was an Egg card no. it would start with 4672.

Regards...

Please note: I have no formal qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith. :)

Thanks Bosund, I am trying to link the agreements I signed to the account/card no. actually opened.

On the agreements there are some numbers just under the egg signature section. I have worked out that if the number is for example 1 123456 100, then the account/card would be for example 462784 100 123456 1.

I have found the above to be true for both agreements but would like confirmation.

Also has anybody been able to apply for two egg cards in a space of a month?

Thanks.

I had 2 Egg cards...a green mastercard and a blue visa.

Not sure about the numbers though...sorry!!

EDIT...applied for several years apart!!

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Hi e inspired,

Had a look and do not think the numbers relate to any card/account no. on the first one at least. It would be unlikely that a card/account no. would have been pre-printed on the agreement form before you had signed it.

Mine was printed by hand at the top of the page which I only saw when I applied for a copy.

Also if it did relate to a card/account no. I would have expected it to be either 16 or 12 characters not 10 as in your first example. 16 characters would be the full card/account no and 12 as some companies only use the last 12 as a reference as the first 4 are unique to the card issuer.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful but am sure there is someone on here who does have the definitive answer.

Regards...

Please note: I have no formal qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith. :)

Hi e inspired,

Had a look and do not think the numbers relate to any card/account no. on the first one at least. It would be unlikely that a card/account no. would have been pre-printed on the agreement form before you had signed it.

Mine was printed by hand at the top of the page which I only saw when I applied for a copy.

Also if it did relate to a card/account no. I would have expected it to be either 16 or 12 characters not 10 as in your first example. 16 characters would be the full card/account no and 12 as some companies only use the last 12 as a reference as the first 4 are unique to the card issuer.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful but am sure there is someone on here who does have the definitive answer.

Regards...

Thanks. I don't think I am explaining myself properly. As part of my SAR I got what egg calls application review (AR) pages as well as the egg credit card CCA's, I need to tie the agreement to the AR pages received.

In the images I have linked to I have removed the 6 digits in the middle, so the reference number (REF) would be 10 digits.

When egg opens the account, it seems to me that the account number is made up of 6 digits and then the 10 digit REF used in sort of a reverse order i.e if card/account no. is 123456 100 123456 3 then the REF on the agreement would be 3 123456 100.

I hope that makes sense.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I am still working on my case going through everything was a fine tooth comb, I feel like a CSI agent and what do I find.... first let’s look at the facts according to the evidence so far provided:

1. I apparently applied for 2 egg cards in a space of a ~month

2. Signed 2 agreements 1 in October 2002 ("A1") the other in November 2002 ("A2")

3. The agreements had interest free periods of 1 April and 2 May respectively.

4. In there defence egg aver that the agreement is "A1" i.e. signed in October 2002.

4. I found an old credit report that records the date the account was opened as sometime in November which ties in with "A2"

5. From my statements it would appear that they started charging interest from 1 April which ties in with "A1"

Are you lost yet? no, good lets continue..

6. "A1" has the old s59 chestnut i.e. "... only binding on us when we have completed and are satisfied with our final checks and other searches and you have..."

7. "A2" has different wording "...only binding on us when we have completed our final checks and you have..." so escapes s59 in my view.

8. I have documentation from egg showing that "A1" did not have PPI on the application.

9. I have documentation that shows that "A2" does have PPI on the application.

The thing to keep in mind is that these agreements where supposedly made about a month apart (somehow I went back online after the first successful application and applied for another egg card and their online process allowed me to do this?) problem is I only ever had one egg card during this period and my statements back that up.

So the 100 million euro question is which agreement is the valid agreement? "A1" or "A2"?

If is "A1" then:

10. s59 comes into play as the agreement did not become binding on my signature, as can be seen from my credit report and statements it took a whole month to open the account (a whole month for them to complete their checks and be satisfied with them).

If this is the case then the next problem here may be the statue of limitations, but I think because the agreement would be void according to s59, they would have to pay all the money I paid under the mistaken belief that there was a contract. The other problem may be latches but correct me if I am wrong but that defence wouldn't even come into the picture?

This point is a very serious one and could have huge implications for egg if it was found to be the case as the egg card was turned into an egg loan.

11. I have documentation from egg that show PPI was not requested for "A1".

If is "A2" then:

12. The interest free period was wrong as they started charging in April instead of May as per the terms of "A2".

I don't really know the implications of this one yet, it’s clearly a serious breach of contract, but the problem is the contract was converted into a loan i.e. completed. If they knew about it, and didn't correct it, could it be fraud?

Limitations and latches also apply but if they didn't spot it how the hell was I supposed to?

13. I am almost 100% sure that the PPI was pre-selected, anyway why would I change my mind about PPI from "A1" to the time when "A2" was made, don't think so.

If you read through my brain dump thanks. If you have any views or questions on this I would like to hear it. I would rather sound stupid here than in front of a judge.

Thanks again.

B e_inspired.

I'm not sure I'm following your argument...

s.59 I would stay away from, unless you can repay everything that has ever been borrowed under the agreement, as that would void the contract and the Court would return the parties to the position they were in prior to entering in to it - including returning all interest/charges applied to you and forcing you to repay everything borrowed under it. No mean feat if the figures go against you. :eek:

I'm not sure I'm following your argument...

s.59 I would stay away from, unless you can repay everything that has ever been borrowed under the agreement, as that would void the contract and the Court would return the parties to the position they were in prior to entering in to it - including returning all interest/charges applied to you and forcing you to repay everything borrowed under it. No mean feat if the figures go against you. :eek:

Thanks.

The egg card has already been paid off :). It was converted into an egg loan (we recently reached a settlement agreement on the egg loan on day of hearing :)). So s59 would be v. good for me I think?

£14,950 - Card Limit (Cleared by loan)

£8,559.26 - Amount I have paid

I know its a bit complex, but if you could let me know what I didn't explain properly I will give it another go.