• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

A&l

carolbl
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6138 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sent off initial letter and have received the many bank statements. They only had the nerve to charge me £5 for the statements even though I sent a cheque for £10 for them. After a telephone call they refunded the £5.

Having gone through the many statements what I need to know is do I add interest to these charges now or do I wait to add the interest if I issue Court papers.

I am really getting into this now. I have sent off letters to HSB even though the accounts are being paid off by us at £5 per month. Most of the debt was through their charges.

Credit cards and catalogues will all be getting their letters by now

Carol

A&L debt due £873.36

Studio Cards £851.54

Shoe Tailor £1137.96 and rising monthly

Capital One ?

Hi carolbl

Don't add the 8% interest unless it goes to court, (or when you apply to MCOL). The FAQ have a step by step guide which is really helpfull.

Good luck!!

:cool: Lily :cool:

Alliance & Leicester;

LBA 22nd July 2006

Reply 31st July

MCOL 6/8/06

PAID IN FULL 25th August 2006.....

DONATION HAPPILY GIVEN.......

If you are happy with my help please click on the scales at the side of this message

Ok thanks for that. Will read and digest the FAQ fully and will let you know how I get on with the A&L

Carol

A&L debt due £873.36

Studio Cards £851.54

Capital One ?

I noticed yesterday that a DD was due out which would have put me overdrawn. I therefore went to the bank to pay in sufficient funds to cover the DD. The bank have charged me £25 to pay the DD. When I phoned the bank today I was told that as there was insufficient funds at the close of business the day before this DD was due it is therefore right to charge me. I was offered half the cost back and I said no I wanted it all as it was an unfair charge.

Another £25 to add to my list.

It amazes me that Banks think it right to debit at the beginning of the day but only credit at the end of the day. Whatever suits them I suppose.

Carol

A&L debt due £873.36

Studio Cards £851.54

Capital One ?

My letter was sent on the 10th August requesting repayment. Now counting down the days.

Carol

A&L debt due £873.36

Studio Cards £851.54

Capital One ?

• 2 weeks later...

Recieved a reply from my second letter stating "as previously mentioned on other threads" The OFT has commented that they cosnider the level of late payments ........ they were referring to....... credit card payments. They cannot accept..... unable to agree repayment.

I take it next step Court action.

Also read my statement throught internet banking. Future charges state £25 unauthorised overdraft Day 1. They have therefore charged me £25 for paying a DD even though I paid in sufficient funds and £25 for them to put me overdrawn by charging me that £25. All to pay a £10 DD.

A&L debt due £873.36

Studio Cards £851.54

Capital One ?

If you have sent prelim and LBA then the next stage is court action as you rightly say. It seems to be moving a bit quickly. Can you just confirm that you are talking about the Letter Before Action when you say second letter, or was the SAR the first letter you mentioned, and the prelim your second. It is not very clear from your thread.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Yes sorry. I sent the SAR then the prelim now the next step is the Letter before Action. Received forms from NatWest to open another bank account and once that has been done will send of the LBA.

Also sorting out the accounts for Studio Cards, Capital One and Shoe Tailor. Then I will start on the others.

Its all getting a bit confusing

Carol

A&L debt due £873.36

Studio Cards £851.54

Capital One ?

Why don't you try just claiming off one or two to begin with so you get a feel for how it all works, and then take on others as these get settled and you gain more confidence. I know it is tempting to rush into it all at once, but I think it is better to take your time and make sure that you can cope with what you are dealing with. Also it can get expensive if you have lots of court claims to do at once, although you obviously get that back in time as well.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Sending of LBA letter tomorrow. Just have to hope I can open an account somewhere else if the A&L close this one.

My problem is I have two accounts with A&L. Can I combine the two into one claim.

Total claim is £681 plus interest.

I appreciate your comments caro, but the other institutions are threatening court action unless I pay them, so cannot hold out much longer.

I wonder if they take me to court can I then put in a defence for the unfair charges.

Carol

A&L debt due £873.36

Studio Cards £851.54

Capital One ?

1. Yes you can combine the 2 accounts into one claim.

2. With banks if you place the account in dispute they cannot take any action until the dispute is resolved. Assuming you are in arrears on the other accounts, are the charges more than the amount of the arrears? If they take you to court you can certainly claim your charges back.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally managed to open my new NatWest step account.

I now intend taking further action against A&L.

Carol

Total debt due from A&L is £873.36

A&L debt due £873.36

Studio Cards £851.54

Capital One ?

sent first letter and recieved one back from a/l stating that the OFT states that the charges are for credit cards and not bank charges. does anyone know if this is correct or are they stalling and do i need to send second letter (lba)

The investigation was into credit cards, but they commented on bank charges. You do need to send an LBA, and also start your own thread. Keep reading round the forums, FAQ's etc as there is a lot to take in, but most claims and responses from the banks are fairly standard, like yours.

Click on this link and you will fine a blue button that says "New Thread"

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester/

Sent off initial letter and have received the many bank statements. They only had the nerve to charge me £5 for the statements even though I sent a cheque for £10 for them. After a telephone call they refunded the £5.

Apparently its humna error to charge you for them. As long as they refunded it, I wouldnt be too worried

B x

Just had a letter from A&L after my LBA letter.

Still say they are not paying me my money back saying that the OFT report touched briefly on current account and did not give specific recommendations regarding the level of charges.

Looks like I am going to have to issue now.

I need to do some reading on how to do it.

Sorry two questions

What Court do I issue in - will it be my local Court

Where do I find out how much the issue fee is

Sorry

Carol

A&L debt due £873.36

Studio Cards £851.54

Capital One ?

If you use MCOL it automatically goes to Northampton and then gets transferred to your local court. If you file at the court, just take the N1 form in. Prices vary according to the size of claim. Keep reading FAQs etc, as all these questions are answered numerous times on the forum.

• 4 weeks later...

How's this going Carol?

I haven't issued yet, need to work out what I am doing first. Will I have to re-do the spreadsheet up to the date that I issue. Cannot get my head around it at the moment. I also need to find £80 to issue.

A&L debt due £873.36

Studio Cards £851.54

Capital One ?

• 4 weeks later...

Now have sufficient funds to issue against A&L. Need to finalise the claim and interest and off we go.

A&L debt due £873.36

Studio Cards £851.54

Capital One ?

Great. If you get your skates on you should have your money in time for Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to put this on hold until after christmas. Bearing in mind the A&L may close my account I dont want to take that chance just before christmas.

A&L debt due £873.36

Studio Cards £851.54

Capital One ?