• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Writing off unsecured debt due to mental illness?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5359 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Meerkatsmimm,

So sorry to hear about your Mum's problems. Good job she has you to help her :)

Please be assured they wouldn't "lock her up" for having suicidal thoughts in the past. They will only "section" anyone if they are considered to be a current danger to themselves or others.

These firms are despicable. You might have a good case for irresponsible lending here. Your Mum can't be held responsible for her actions if she had mental illness, so don't worry about fraud.

Take a look here: May be worth reporting her case to The Guardian Money people...

Keep your chin up

Hugs

Elsa xxxx

Meerkatsmimm,

Hi Honey

I'm stepping up my own research on irresponsible lending, I'll pass on anything that might be useful to you. If we start looking at all the different aspects and tick as many of the IL boxes as possible,in a structured way, it will help to present your mum's case, be it to the bank, the OFT, FOS, MP Guardian or whomever.

Lets get a strong argument together for you in a word file then you can fire it off to anyone who might help.

In respect of proof of illness, initially you can simply state what you feel is enough info, cite the benefits and assert that should proof be required this will happily be provided to a Judge in Court, but that you are not prepared to demean your mother by discussing her private health matters with anyone who cares to read it in their office.

Speak later,

Elsa xxxx

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sweetie,

Just a quickie to say I haven't deserted you.. been on my hols and getting through a pile of office work for my OH..but have been researching Irresponsible lending and Unfair relationshps whenever possible. I'm putting together a file with notes and relevant links which I'll pass on to you.

I'll pm you with my CAG email when I'm done then we can figure which parts apply to your mum.

Take care,

Elsa xx

Hi MMM :)

I've finally had chance to go over the OFT Guidelines on Irresponsible lending (due for completion October 09), plus Unfair Relationships etc, with a nit comb.

I append a word file with notes and relevant links..some of which you probably already have . I've transcribed the main parts of the OFT Guidelines into word and highlighted the most likely relevant sections.

For the benefit of others who don't have time to peruse the massive word file in depth, here are the main points relevant to unfair/irresponsible lending generally, and specifically in mental health problems:

Irresponsible Lending

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/consultations/oft1107con.pdf

4.1 Before granting credit or increasing the amount of credit, creditors should assess a prospective borrower's ability to meet repayments over the life of a loan in a sustainable manner. All such assessments of affordability should involve a consideration of the impact of the loan on the borrower's overall financial well-being. It is not sufficient to solely assess the likelihood of the borrower being to repay the loan in question – which would only constitute one aspect of such an assessment.

4.2 The OFT would regard 'in a sustainable manner' in this context as constituting:

• without undue difficulty

• within a reasonable period of time

• out of income and/or available savings, without having to realise security or assets30

• without incurring any/additional problem indebtedness

4.5 Where the assessment indicates that a borrower would not be able to meet repayments in a sustainable manner over the life of the loan being sought, it should not be made available for that amount and duration and with those terms and conditions. However, a smaller loan, over a shorter period, may be sustainable (in line with the assessment of affordability) and/or an alternative credit product might be more suitable – for example, a credit product that does not involve significant default charges.

4.7 The extent and scope of any assessment of affordability, in any particular circumstance, should be dependent upon – and proportionate to – a number of factors, including, but not necessarily limited to the following:

• The nature of the credit product.

• The amount of credit to be provided and the associated cost to the borrower.

• The borrower's financial situation

The borrower's credit history including any indications of the borrower having experienced existing or previous financial difficulty.

• The borrower's existing- and predictable future- financial commitments including any repayments due in respect of other credit products and the borrower's principal non-credit commitments.

• The impact of any reasonably foreseeable change in relevant circumstances on the borrower. This would include both changes to the borrower's own personal circumstances and, where appropriate, wider economic changes. A change in circumstances is unlikely to be considered to be 'reasonably foreseeable' unless it was known to be happening, or reasonably should have been anticipated, at the time that the assessment of affordability was undertaken. Relevant changes of circumstance would include a predictable end point of current employment due to circumstances such as retirement or the conclusion of a current employment contract with a specified finite time – either of which may lead to a fall in the borrower's disposable income.

• The vulnerability of the borrower. For example, whether the borrower has, or appears as if he may have, mental health problems which could impact on his capacity to be able to understand information and explanations and make informed decisions based on his understanding of such information and explanations.

• The borrower's actual or apparent financial capability.

4.13 Whilst the OFT would generally expect the level of scrutiny required for small sum and/or short-term loans might be somewhat less than for large sum and/or long-term loans, account should be taken of the fact that the likely impact of the loan on the borrower's overall financial well-being would be directly related to his personal financial circumstances as well as the size and nature of the loan.

Specific irresponsible lending practices

Unsatisfactory business practices and procedures

4.16 Failing to establish and implement clear and effective policies and procedures for the reasonable assessment of affordability.

4.17 Failing to undertake a reasonable assessment of affordability in individual cases.

4.18 Failing to consider sufficient appropriate information relating to the borrower's circumstances to be able to reasonably assess affordability, prior to granting credit or increasing the total amount of credit provided.

· Where applicable, failing to verify details of current income and/or expenditure by, for example, checking hard copies of payslip/contract of employment (when a borrower is in employment), accountant's letters (when a borrower is self-employed) or benefit statements (when a borrower is not in employment).

4.19 Restricting the assessment of affordability solely to an assessment of the borrower's ability to repay a single loan under circumstances in which he has other credit commitments.

(The OFT considers that such an assessment would not constitute a proper consideration of the impact of the loan on the borrower's overall financial well-being.)

4.23 Granting an application for credit when, on the basis of an affordability assessment, it is suspected or known, or reasonably ought to be suspected or known, that the credit is, or is likely to be, unaffordable.

4.25 Failing to take adequate steps, so far as is reasonable and practicable, to ensure that all information on a loan application relevant to an assessment of affordability is complete and correct.

!!!4.26 Providing credit to a borrower prior to having received from him, or in the absence of ever having received from him, a completed application for credit.

The OFT would not consider an application to be complete if the creditor had not received a copy of the credit agreement that had been signed by the borrower.!!!

5.4 Failing to act in the best interests of a borrower by promoting the sale of a particular credit product under circumstances in which the creditor suspects, or ought to suspect, that the product is clearly inappropriate given the borrower's needs and personal circumstances.

5.5 Providing credit to a borrower in the absence of having appropriately assessed the mental capacity of the borrower, under circumstances in which the creditor suspects, or reasonably ought to suspect, that the borrower lacks the mental capacity to comprehend the information and/or explanations provided by the creditor to inform the borrower's decision.

5.6 Giving effect to a lending decision by a borrower which is clearly not in the borrower's best interests, particularly under circumstances in which the creditor suspects, or reasonably ought to suspect, that the borrower lacks the mental capacity to comprehend the information and/or explanations provided by the creditor to inform the borrower's decision.

(a person must have some form of impairment of – or disturbance in – the functioning of the mind or the brain which results in an inability to make the specific decision at that time. Capacity should be judged in relation to a specific decision. In order to demonstrate decision making capacity, a borrower should be able to understand the information relevant to the decision, including the purpose of any proposed course of action, the main benefits, risks and alternatives. In law, a person is assumed to have capacity unless/until it is established that he lacks capacity.)

www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2005/ukpga_20050009_en_1

www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2005/en/ukpgaen_20050009_en_1.htm

5.15 Failing to act in the best interests of a borrower by promoting the sale of a particular product, for business and/or personal gain, under circumstances in which the product is clearly inappropriate given the borrower's needs and personal circumstances.

The OFT considers that creditors should take appropriate action, including alerting the borrower to the risk of an escalating debt, when/if there are signs of apparent repayment difficulties.

This is particularly important in the case of borrowers with mental health problems, especially under circumstances in which they or their representatives have specifically requested that this should be done. A symptom of some mental health problems, like bipolar disorder for example, may be that the borrower may engage in unusual spending patterns.

7.2 Failing to treat borrowers in default or arrears difficulties with understanding and due consideration.

For example, mental health problems may impair a borrower's ability to maintain repayment schedules. Borrowers with mental health problems may be unable to engage with debt repayment and should not be regarded as – or treated as – 'uncooperative' or 'won't pays'. 'Reasonable adjustments' should be made to policies and procedures for recovering debts, to the extent that it is appropriate or necessary to do so, under circumstances in which borrowers are known to be – or reasonably ought to be suspected to be – experiencing mental health problems.

The OFT would expect creditors' policies and procedures for the appropriate treatment of borrowers with mental health problems, who are experiencing problem over-indebtedness, to reflect the principles outlined in the Money Advice Liaison Group (MALG) Guidelines 'Debt Management and Debt Collection in Relation to People with Mental Health Problems'.www.moneyadvicetrust.org/download.asp

That's enough to be going on with or the page will break :)

Elsa x

iresplendingnotes.doc