• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Off sick long term due to depression

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice on my situation. I have worked in my organisation for 4 years now. I am a well respected and valued member of staff (or least I thought I was!). For the first two years everything was fine, but for the last two years things have gone wrong. I developed Severe Depression and had to have time off (35 days in total) betwen December 2007 - March 2008. My organisation was fine with that and when I came back I did not have to go to occupational health, I was not asked to speak to any members of staff or anything. Unfortuanately I suffered deaths of two members of my family who raised me in the latter part of 2008. I was still working through this grave time. I tried my best to remain professional and upbeat as anyone who suffers or have suffered from Depression would know it is not an easy thing to do. During this time one of my team members who had supported me in the first instance began treating me differently. If first started with a meeting being conducted in regards to work with myself and my senior Administrator at the time and 2 other team members. In this meeting instead of discussing work they started talking about my Depression. The team member afor mentioned stated that everybody was sick and tired of me coming in looking tired all the time! I understand that everyone is entiltled to their views but for it to come out this way I feel is unproffessional. From that point 2 of my team members began to talk about me in negative ways, I would walk in on them having bitchy conversations about me and I was being left out of vital things that were to do with work going on in my department. Through the whole thing because I was severly depressed I did not tell any member of staff about what my other team members were doing to me ( I look back in hind site and regret that). This carried on for 7 months until I could no longer take it and went of work sick even worse than before with Depression. I have been off work since the end of January this year to present. Once I got myself together a bit, I began considering that maybe I should leave because I could not see the situation getting any better. So I applied for a job and was suprised to find that they gave me a conditional offer subject to satisfactory refrences. Before doing this I informed my workplace that I would be looking for a job and finally told them what had happened. They seemed very sympathetic to me and expressed that they would be sad to see me go. Once however the refrences went through to the new employer they stated that they were withdrawing my offer due to my lengthy time off and unsatisfactory refrences, even though their occupational health cleared me. This put me in a dilemma because I am desperate to work. I called up my employer to ask if things could be sorted out and that if I could come back to work, she told me that they had been managing fine without me and that I am unreliable to them. If I were to come back there would be serious reprecussions in regards to my attendance off work. I was going to also ask her if she could put me in a different department and she shut me down by saying that she hoped I was not trying to move departments because where I am working now is where I am staying and she has no intention of moving me to help my situation.

My dilemma is now that I am still off sick with no work to go to and knowing that my current workplace does not want me back either. My doctor is prepared to sign me back on as I have been cleared to work. I feel now that I have no choice but to hand in my resignation as the whole situation is now open and I feel I would face some kind of reprimand for raising a complaint. It seems already that my boss has cast a view on my situation. I fully understand and am aware that I have had lengthy time off, but I have always been a good employer in the first to years of me commencing work where I hardly had any time off and did not even take holidays. Still while I was going through my bad times I was the only member of non-teaching staff to come in to work on Saturday's and I would be the first one in at 6.30 in the mornings even though I did not start until 8.45. Does that not account for anything? As I said at the start, I had never had any run ins or disaplinery's or warnings of any sort. Is my employer right to be treating me this way?

Edited by Trixibell

Sorry for all the problems you are having, but I think you have answered your own question. Reliability, the number one thing any employer wants from an employee, and also from workmates who can only cover for so long before they start getting angry that they are doing someone elses job as well as their own.

I am not a member of any Union at all. I tried to call Unison several times in the begining and each time they said they would send me a membership pack and they never did.

As I said before, I totally understand that I have had lengthly time off but it has not been without very good reason. It would have been worse if the situation carried on and I kept taking time off all the time. I had to take it off so that I could sort it out once and for all.

Thank you for the link to the website, I will look into it straight away. As I have said, I have followed up with Unison and called them up to 13 times since this all started. Everytime I had to give a brief encounter of what happened. They took my name and address each time and never got back to me in regards to the matter. They said that they would send me membership packs and never did. I also asked colleagues at work for advice on the situation and they did not want to get involved in the matter and did not give me any advice at all.