• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

SB100 v HFC - is this default compliant? Court/Restons ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll need to amend as necessary, then;

Form N244

Yes, N244;

Part A - 3;

The Claimants claim is insufficiently stated under CPR Part 16.2(1)(a) and CPR Part 16.4(1)(a). The Defendant applies to the Court to strike out the Claim, awarding Summary Judgment to the Defendant (CPR Part 24.2(a)(i)), as CPR Part 24.2(b) applies to these proceedings.

Relevant links to the CPR Part I'm referring to are;

PART 16 - STATEMENTS OF CASE

PART 24 - SUMMARY JUDGMENT

Part C;

The Defendant argues that the Claimants Particulars of Claim is insufficiently stated, as it does not refer to the terms under which the claim is brought concisely and causes issues for the Defendant in he is unsure as to what the case to answer is - therefore the Defendant is unable to Defend the claim properly.

Despite these concerns, and the Defendant having previously corresponded up on with the Claimant and their representatives, the Claimant has failed to clarify this issue and has also failed to provide such information under a CPR Part 18 request for more information from the Defendant, dated ****, giving 14 days in which to comply with that request.

The Defendant argues that the Claimants claim is insufficiently stated under CPR Part 16.2(1)(a) and CPR Part 16.4(1)(a) and respectfully asks the Court to take action under its powers in relation to this Part to strike out the Claimants Claim due to this failure. The Defendant respectfully applies to the Court to award Summary Judgment to the Defendant, under CPR 24.2(a)(i), in the current proceedings, in that the Claimant has no real prospect of succeeding on the claim, due to these insufficiently stated particulars of claim.

Further, the Defendant also argues that CPR Part 24.2(b) applies to the current proceedings, for the reasons already outlined, and that there is no compelling reason as to why the case should be disposed of at trial. The Claimant is unable to show that it can successfully succeed with this claim, as it has failed to comply with the pre-action protocols outlined in s.87/s.88 Consumer Credit Act 1974. Unless the Claimant is able to demonstrate that a fully enforceable credit agreement is in existance, pursuant to s.60/s.61 and s.65, the Court is unable to enforce the agreement against the Defendant as outlined in s.127(1) and s.127(3). For all these reasons, the Claimants claim must fail, in either case.

In the alternative, where this honourable Court decides not to strike out the Claimants Claim, the Defendant seeks an order from the Court that the proceedings be generally stayed for a period of 28 days to allow the Claimant to further particularise its Claim and clarify the terms under which it claims against the Defendant in such detail as required by CPR Part 16, and that the relevant documents previously requested by the Defendant are disclosed prior to the Defendant being expected to submit a Defence, and ordering that the Claim be struck out without further notice if the Claimant does not take such action.

TAKE NOTICE THAT IF THE RESPONDENT TO THIS APPLICATION FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT WISHES TO RELY ON WRITTEN EVIDENCE AT THE HEARING, IT MUST FILE A WITNESS STATEMENT AND SERVE COPIES ON THE CLAIMANT AT LEAST SEVEN DAYS BEFORE THE DATE SET FOR THE SUMMARY JUDGMENT HEARING

• Haha 1

I have - that's s.87/s.88.

You wouldn't say it's defective, as it's for them to prove it isn't defective, not for you to prove that it is - you can't prove a negative, but you can enter a response to their reply to your Application, should they be silly enough to raise that as an issue. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Court the claim is at the Court you've sent the Application to?

Ring the Court, (where the AQ is to go back to) and check they've received the Application. They should set a hearing date, which will over ride the AQ submissions, but you may want to complete it anyway - one of the questions asked relates to Applications already submitted or that will be submitted in the future, so you can state that you've already submitted a SJ application.

Its been listed for hearing in October. I'm guessing I should do the AQ though just to be 'belt and braces' certain? Need to find the link to filling them in now :)

What's been listed? SJ/SO application or final determination hearing?

Nothing wrong with submitting the AQ - helpful links already provided :D

This is what I'm using, unless I need to use the same as i used for the SO/SJ application. It has to be in tomorrow, so if someone could give me a quick yes / no I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

Yup ;)

Ok, its done and gone. My concern was that they consider what they've sent me complies- but I don't, so to ask for it again might seem, to some, as being deliberately awkward.

Cheers :)

I can't see how - you're asking them to disclose the documents required to prove their claim against you? How is that being awkward, exactly? They've been awkward in not giving you want you want - you're only taking the game to the next level.

Yes, but we're asking the Court to order them to disclose documentation that means they can bring the claim - if they can't, that's where your SJ application comes in. This is just covering all bases ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I recall they need to file their response to my application seven days before the SO/SJ hearing- is this correct?

Thanks

If that is what you put in your Application, which the Court seals and lists for hearing, then yup, that's right. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

You should get a sealed copy of their Application by the Court - I think they've sent it to you, so you have notice, in which case they can ask the Court to waive the need for disclosure of it again and ask them to deal with it all in the one hearing, instead of adjourning.

What's their basis for asking for SJ?

When, when, when will they stop blaming the Production Centre for filling inappropriate claims? I can show you threads going back years - some of which are mine! - where they've been told it's not acceptable to file a claim without the documentation :mad:

They seem to have ignored all the issues surrounding enforceability and the unlawful Default/Termination of the account, which is nice for them, isn't it.

Lets hope you get a stringent DJ who will give them what for.

Which Court is this and will you be booking a mini bus for the CAGgers that are interested in coming? I hear we get discounted rates if we call it an official CAG meet! ;););););)

Hey! If you have some of those commisseratry (spealling? :lol:) drinks beforehand you should be ok.

Well, you never know, if you offer the "Solicitor" that turns up to represent Restons (I'm assuming Jeremy won't be available ;)) more money than they are paying and he might put your side forward at the same time? Can you imagine!

Seriously, though, in my experience, paying a Solicitor for this hearing will be a waste of time - you know more about this case than anyone, so you will present it better than anyone recommended. Just get those nerves under control ;)

The Judge will invite them to start, as they are legally trained and (apparently) know what they are talking about.

They will have to present your case, being serious for a second, to the best of their abilities. Solicitors are officers of the Court, not just your opponent, remember.

I suspect the Judge might give you a hand, so listen carefully to what he/she says. I've known Judges ask closed questions to give Litigants in Person a nudge in the right direction.

• 4 weeks later...

Only you can answer that question, SB.

Reston's wouldn't be offering a reduced settlement if they seriously thought they would win, but then you may decide to accept a (realistic ;)) offer in installments if it means that you can put an end to this tirade quickly.

I suspect such an offer will not be "realistic" in your terms, though, so I can't see how you can accept anything less than what you see as realistic.

You also need to consider that replying to this may give them the push needed to continue, as you wouldn't settle if you really thought you had a decent defence and could argue and win in Court? :)

Your call, fella...

• 3 weeks later...

Simply rebutting your defence isn't sufficient - they haven't stated on what grounds each reason of your defence should fail.

This amounts to a he-said, so we-said, situation, which the Court just can't accept.

They are hoping to win the "Judge Lottery" with that conclusion, effectively saying the Court should ignore all the rules of the Court, the legislation and the rules of evidence "because you've borrowed the money".

Personally, I would be putting a response to their SA forward, (which isn't required, but would be fun to construct) pointing all this out - then let the Court decide.

A word of warning, though, as usual. The Court may well decide this in their favour - highly improbable, but not impossible. You may want to consider if you want to push on, but I would if it were me... ;)

Is this a new claim? If so, and they haven't sought permission to bring it, (regardless of whether they think they can win or not) then you should seek a SO on that basis.