ABBEY REFUSES TO 'WAIVE' CHARGES

janna
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

First of all I sincerely apologise if this query has been answered already - have read through forum and not seen anything !( Please don't have a go at me!)

Just to fill you in - I wrote to abbey mid feb to request a refund of all bank charges and also requested statement/list of charges under DPA.( template has since changed) Did receive a letter a week or so later saying they were looking into it - and this (summarised) is what Igot.....

Just recieved a letter today-basically saying that I should have contested any charges at the time they occured - and that as the 'charges were prompted by payment requests against insufficient available funds.' and went on to state that after reviewing my account this is not the first time I have incurred charges ( never said it was!)

Finally it said ' if I took them to court, that each case would be reviewed individually, and if they feel that the relationship between me and them has broken down - they may give notice to close my account' and this was their final resoulution!

They also enclosed a form on which to request my bank charges, and said if I did not reply within 14 days the papers would be filed accordingly?

Okay - I am aware that they will try to frighten me off :o ( it's worked a liitle) but i still plan to go ahead - but I just want to know - is this the kind of standard reply they send out?. as I have read through the posts and have n't seen a reply like this. They are trying to turn the tables on me.

Any advice would be appreciated

Sounds like a new approach. Could you let us have a scan of the charges form which they sent you. This is new.

I gather that they haven't complied with your DPA request. I expect that their threat to close your account is actually their counter to your DPA request. They obviously think that there is a chance that you will back off in the face of their more aggressive approach.

Well don't worry. And don't worry about their charges form. We have a charges form of our own, don't we boys and girls? It is called an N1 and there is a template in the library. :twisted:

Send them an abrupt reminder of their duty under the DPA. Did you send then a £10? Send it now with the DPA reminder. Make sure that you have a parachute account and progress your claim in the normal way.

Sounds rather like the attitude the black donkey is taking with me. Relationship? What relationship - slave to master?

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Thanks for replying so quickly!

I thought it was a new approach too! Wonder why they picked me?

Anyway -the form they sent was a Subject Access Request Form - on which I can request my bank charges under the DPA for the standard £10.

I will fill it in and send it out on Monday. I don't have a scanner so cannot send it straight away - but will try to get a copy sent to you asap

Don't forget to ask for records of all manual interventions in these charges.

Could come in handy later.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

That's OK. I thought that it was a form for you to claim your charges back with. Not necessary to scan it to us now.

You also don't need to use the form. If you have sent the letter, then ther is no need for a form and they are already violating the DPA.

Send them the money and tell them to get a hurry on. Don't play their game.

I thought it was a new approach too! Wonder why they picked me?

They didn't. Another poster (thanks, Seminole) sent me an identical one, word for word, this morning. New approach maybe, but it's not just you, don't worry! :)

On the bright side, you'll notice they have kindly admitted they ARE penalty charges (paragraph before the threat of closing you down if you have the cheek to take them to court), ain't that just peachy? :lol:

Okay! Glad Abbey are not just after me.

So now I won't bother filling in the form, and will just remind them of my original request for list of charges.

I will regain control of the situation.

Will keep you posted!

Thanks again

Janna

Keep it going Janna!!

i'm in the same boat as you, i'm just awaitng my statements, they also sent me that form but not that letter as i orginally sent my DPA request straight to the data protection team, they just forwarded my request onto customer complaints.

Best wishes and keep us updated

Natasha

Abbey-received DPA letter on 13/03, received some breakdown till 2004 waiting for the more recent ones(where most charges occurred)

sent reminder email on 17/4/06

called abbey on 19/04/06 to remind them:rolleyes:

sent another email on 26/04/06:mad:

Approx charges £2500

received £500 refund in dec 06

sent LBA

Capital one- sent DPA letter 17/03

Sent prim letter for charges of £260 14/04

Received a refund £109 awaiting further refund of £151

Settled IN FULL

Barclay card- Sent DPA letter 17/03 sent reminder 14/04

received info claiming £120

settled in FULL

Yes sure i will do!

Natasha

Abbey-received DPA letter on 13/03, received some breakdown till 2004 waiting for the more recent ones(where most charges occurred)

sent reminder email on 17/4/06

called abbey on 19/04/06 to remind them:rolleyes:

sent another email on 26/04/06:mad:

Approx charges £2500

received £500 refund in dec 06

sent LBA

Capital one- sent DPA letter 17/03

Sent prim letter for charges of £260 14/04

Received a refund £109 awaiting further refund of £151

Settled IN FULL

Barclay card- Sent DPA letter 17/03 sent reminder 14/04

received info claiming £120

settled in FULL

This seems to be a very new approach from Abbey. I'm a bit further down the road with my claim against them - but not much, and I haven't had any of these nonsense letters. I've kept things extremely curt with them and left as little opportunity as possible for them to enter into a debate about it. Also, Janna, DO NOT let them make you feel threatened or intimidated. There are many many people on this forum who can give you all the moral support and assistance you need! Keep a steady nerve and you WILL prevail.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Robert,

thanx so much for your support! I do feel really supported by everyone on the forum - just people taking the time out to leave a message for me really makes such a difference! :D

And no, I will not let the Abbey get the better of me - I intend to fight them all the way......watch this space.(.. and the Halifax board!) :wink:

Janna

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks