• Tweets

• Is the letter headed Letter of Claim/before Claim or similar? If not, it sounds like more of the threatogram chain. If you're not sure, post up an anonymised copy of the letter and we'll check. HB
    • So guess what, we have received a final demand letter for £100. It states if payment is not made by 11/06 they will have no option but to forward the case to their litigation dept with a view to commence County Court Proceedings. So just wondering if anyone has any advice. Do we ignore this? or do we need to take action? Thanks 
    • hi dx, thanks for helping just re-reading everything this morning and I must have missed this one from uncle in his thread "What you should not do, is not contact the Banks and simply default on payments. "  are you in disagreement with this based on your last sentence?
    • Thanks for the reply and clarification, that might just explain why in my case contact has pretty much ceased. Though with such companies it doesn't mean they won't ever threaten to return to court as a tool to force one's hand if they feel they are not self informed on their chances etc.  But concerning how last year they tried to use the CCJ to get a charging order and the court granted an intirum order on our mortgage using the CCJ that would have been a good 2-3 months beyond the 6 years, should the court not have checked the age of the CCJ in the first case or would they always grant an interim order simply off the back of a CCJ being produced without even checking the age of it?.  Had I not defended that action at the time they may well have got a default using a CCJ older than 6 years which could be a concern going forwards. At the time when I contacted the court to question the paperwork for a final order application the clerk suggested people don't get informed when companies apply for interim charging orders, they are automatic if a claimant has a CCJ and people only get contacted once a date for a final order application goes through. kind of begs the question if such companies can continue a seemingly backdoor method to attempt default action if un-defended if the initial application doesn't need to check the age of a CCJ?.
    • Hello!  Wondering if someone can help with this.  I suspect not but worth a go.  I appreciate the "contract is with the seller" line, which is what Evri has fed me but wanted to see if someone with experience in these things could suggest anything else I could do here.  I appreciate there are many topics about lost parcels - My parcels weren't lost, until the driver walked up to my door with them and then decided to make them lost/stolen... I'll summarise what has happened.  Wednesday of last week - Evri delivery driver stole / walked off with 3 of my parcels.  -  Arrived outside my properly, took photos (3 separate photos as its 3 separate deliveries) of the tops of the parcels (pointlessly zoomed in on just the labels, couldn't see anything else, other than a small piece of the pavement and a little weed, which doubly confirms it was outside my door as I can see the same plant), marked the order as delivered and walked off with them.  He's marked on the Evri GPS marked that he was outside.   -  3 different deliveries, from the same company (same boxes etc.), but 3 separate tracking numbers. -  Went through the Evri bot which opened a case on each tracking number.  I then phoned them and left a voicemail explaining what had happened. -  24 hours later had a canned response asking me if the packages had turned up and to check around etc..  I responded explaining again what happened and that they've definitely been taken. -  4 days later,  this morning, I get a response telling me to ask the merchant to refund me. I've responded to this message with a long email, repeating what I said, that I believe the driver has stolen these packages and that he took those suspicious top down shots of the packages, marked them as delivered without ringing or knocking etc.  I've said that I expect them to investigate further, but I gather they won't. In my several messages to them initially and later, I told them I don't care about a refund and wanted the parcels.  They contain some sentimental stuff, nothing of high monetary value, hence me going to this trouble.  I only paid £25 for the contents. I did contact the merchant when this first happened and they asked me to wait a few days.  They ended up refunding me despite me asking them not to and that I wanted them to escalate it with Evri because this appears to be a case of theft.  They didn't seem bothered - Refunded me and told me to go back to Evri and escalate it with them? So - Is there any way to compel Evri to conduct a proper investigation with this driver?  Search for my parcels? I have quite a lot of deliveries handled by Evri (not out of choice) - They used to have a fantastic chap and I rarely had any issues.  He has been replaced by a new guy and I believe the route is handled by this same guy who I believe has taken my packages.  Naturally, I fear this is going to happen again in the future if no investigation occurs. Appreciate any assistance - Thanks for reading. Al.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Marlin/Mortimer CCJ HFC Marbles Card - Set Aside Help **WON plus Costs**

Spamalot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5194 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If there is no agreement produced containing the prescribed terms the court is prevented from enforcing it - it's what you referred to in your defence. To get the court to declare it unenforceable in such circumstances comes under S142.

Thank you.. you really are a diamond.. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They say money talks......mine just keeps saying "Goodbye"

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And request Judgement in your favour (if we are not jumping ahead too far!!);)

Andy

Wouldn't that be nice... :D... another gem from Andy..:)

Keep 'em coming..

Spam.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well done Spam now work out your costs.Check with the Court to see if they have recieved it. Ok, will do..

Delighted for you;) Thank you..:)

Regards

Andy

:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

oh my Lord. now that's almost sexual.............

Methinks he's been at the wine gums or sniffing the barmaids apron..:rolleyes::p

Thank you Andy...I see what you mean now.

I'm going to give the court a ring in a mo to see if they've got anything yet and we'll go from there...

Spam.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well,

Apparently the court haven't received their copy yet so I'll give them a day or so to see if it turns up... Court suggested I ring Mort Clarke... but I'd rather not!!

Assuming that the court does get a copy.... what happens about the order for costs that I got awarded at the Set aside if I were to 'win the case'.

Will I lose them if I agree to the discontinuence? This may well be a deciding factor in what route I take from here..

Help please..

Thanks, Spam. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Andy...

One last question.. (Yeah right:rolleyes:)

If I agree to the discontinuence to this claim, could they then make another one at a later date and/ or still come after me for payments as the agreement hasn't yet been judged 'unenforceable'?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How do you want to play it?

Think I'm gonna have to sleep on this one..

I don't want it coming back and biting me on the bum at a later date and I know I have a very strong defence, so I would love to see Marlin squirm .... but it would also be nice to let it drop now...

Decisions decisions... not good at them.. :rolleyes:... I shall make a pros and cons list and then toss a coin ;) (if I can find one)

Thanks again Andy,

I'll let you know as soon as I do!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mynewt Update.. (for Robcag:rolleyes:)

Got an alert from Credit Expert today... CCJ has been removed from my file... Woo hoo.:D

Having slept on my dilemma... (not as good as a bed I admit. :p) I have decided to accept the discontinuence but with lots of stipulations and if they don't agree to them I'll let it run to trial.

As my defence is due in next wednesday I will continue to prepare it and submit as directed just in case. (Unless anyone with more experience advises me otherwise of course.)

Spam. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tis me again..:)

I rang the court today and they confirmed that they had received a notice of discontinuence from Mortimer Clarke... so there we have it, all over bar the shouting and my 'Costs'...

I can't believe how it was only their greed and them telling me they'd been awarded 8% interest after judgement that led me to this site which in turn led me to get the judgement set aside etc...

If they hadn't have done that I'd have still been paying them and accepting what they said like a good little uninformed Spam..:rolleyes:

MEGA THANKS to my constant companions...( in alphabetical order so there's no scrapping :p)

Andyorch, Foolishgirl, Jon888999, R&B and Robcag..

Your advice and guidance has been awesome...:D

Thank you for the Bouquet of Tomatoes FG... ;) & thank you for the rep from yesterday also Andy... This experience has taught me a lot and I hope I can pass on my knew found knowledge for the benefit of others..

I'm going to ask for my **stars** now as I've achieved the set aside and discontinuence... and I'll keep updating as far as the costs issue goes..

If it turns out they don't comply with my requests and I have to set aside the discontinuence then I'll start a new thread...

Just the all important letter now please FG.... :-D

Thanks again everyone...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Rob (and Tilly and Silly and Supa and Angel and Sequenci and Intree... ooh it's more like an Oscar speech..;))

Doesn't it pee you off that you have to go through everything that you've gone through just because the law allows these scumbags to get CCJs when they're not entitled to them

Yes... and until such times as the likes of Northampton CCBC insist on proper paperwork before issuing the blumming things I should think it will continue.

It's a total farce, the way it is at the moment, and the amount of time, energy and money that is wasted on these claims is ridiculous and it makes a total mockery of the court system..

But I have to Thank Marlin really... had it not been for their greed and underhanded tactics I would never have googled them and found CAG...

So my biggest thanks should go to Mark and Darren from Marlin Financial Services for forcing me to get my head out of the sand and tackle them.. ;)

Anyhoo, all in a day... and todays been a good one..

:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you again FG...

Looking out for me when you should have been making your mudpie.. ;)

I shall get that letter done and in the post tomorrow... I don't know what would be a reasonable claim for compensation though... any suggestions?

I agree they are a devious bunch so it would be best to nip this in the bud before they get any big ideas..

Ever grateful,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi FG,

This is what I got from MC on wednesday.

N.O.D. picture by Spamalot_bucket - Photobucket

As far as the compensation front is concerned.. It was 2 basic bank accounts I got declined and a Job interview.. It was a job I'd done for years before having my kids but being in the public sector I was not allowed to have 'financial difficulties' I had to admit to difficulties because of the CCJ and defaults and I was deemed not suitable for interview..:(

Annoying thing is that the job would have paid me enough to get me out of trouble... so they've actually cost me around £25,000 PA.. que sera and all that..:rolleyes:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Morning FG,:)

Unfortunately you can't claim £25000.00 - well I guess you could try but you'd prob. need a fresh claim & proof from potential employer etc. :rolleyes:... wouldn't dream of it :eek:... I did keep my letter saying I wasn't suitable for interview and I do have a copy of the application form with the 'financial difficulties' section on it, and my 'refusals from the banks which I was going to use it if need be at court when asking for compensation. :cool:

I don't want to be greedy... If I put a total of around £1000 would that be pushing it?... that would include, applications, postage, paper, printing etc LIP research and compensation...

It's tricky knowing just how far to push them... too little and they've got away with it and too much and I've shot myself in the foot...

I guess if I put an amount forward they could always refuse and make an offer???

I really have no idea in this area...:oops:

Thanks again,

Spam. :-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Righty ho..

It's really all guess work at this stage spam & a matter of who blinks first. See if andy or car have any ideas, they have experience & better several heads than one eh? :wink:

Point taken... I will investigate further.. When it comes to costs I was really unsure what they are liable for as it's a discontinuance and has not been allocated a track...I know it would be fastrack if it went to trial... but it hasn't yet... :rolleyes:

Probably just a coincidence (irrelevant, and of no help to you, sorry!), but that signature looks to be from the same person (C H-M) who signed my WS from MC, or perhaps they've only got 1 litigation Assistant :rolleyes:.CheersRob

I think it depends on who's in charge of the rubber stamp that day..:p

Thanks again,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, I agree FG..

I think I'll refer to that thread with regards to the costs I apply for in the letter, If they start to wriggle too much away from my requests I'll go straight for the set aside... I'm halfway there anyway as my defence is prepared so it shouldn't be too much extra work..I'd rather them dance to my tune than me to theirs at this stage.. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Okey Dokey,

Letter of consent prepared with costs and compensation request included. All ready to send 1st class recorded tomorrow. I have given them 'til Monday 21st to reply or a Set aside application will be submitted. They can take this as my LBA as I have given them exactly the same amount of notice as they gave me back in November last year... :rolleyes:

If they pay what I've asked, the drinks are on me at the Xmas CAG meet..(well the first round anyway..:eek:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing to report I'm afraid.. :(

No letter from MC in response to mine of last week, and I know they received it last tuesday as I sent it recorded delivery and I have the Sig for receipt..:cool:

I know they like to play close to the deadlines and there have been postal strikes but this is too close so I guess I need to prepare for my second set aside..:rolleyes:

Perhaps the A team could step in and advise how I go about this..

Thanks,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Andy,

I did consider emailing them as there's the postal issues, but when I've done that in the past they've never replied.. Also From past experience with phone calls to them , that is like pulling teeth... you just get told to ring back, person you wants not in the office, we'll call you back ,they never did..... You know the scenario :rolleyes:

I don't particularly want to drag this out for much longer, but I don't trust them as far as I could throw them... it's a dilemma and I don't want them mucking me about so I run out of time!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks FG, Andy.

I will await the post tomorrow, if still nothing I will email as suggested and see what happens..

You advice as always is much appreciated. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well,

There was nothing in the post from MC yesterday so I emailed as suggested with the above, attached a copy of the letter and gave them 'til 5pm today to respond . Surprise surprise, they did not respond and there was still nothing in the post.

Once again my correspondence has been ignored by this shower so it's time to take the gloves off. They didn't even have the common decency to acknowledge the letter or email and say thanks but no thanks..

Guess it's time to roll out the n244 .... again:rolleyes:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, I'm looking at an n244.... does the set aside of the discontinuance have to to be dealt at or without a hearing?

Also, do I have to pay for this application as I've only just recently flung my cheque book back at Lloyds :oops::rolleyes:

And... what information will I be relying on in support of my application?

Is that the copy of discontinuance and my corres with MC or do I have to state something else there?

Thanks again guys... sorry to be a pain. Gonna be a long time before the fat lady sings at this rate.8-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]