Moving out of a property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

We have decided to move out of our rented property because the landlord is trying to sell it and we would like a little more security.

Our 6 month tenancy ends on the 17th of April and I told our agents today that we would not be renewing. The agent told me that I needed a months notice even though our tenancy comes to an end on the 17th. Surely this is nonsense? Once the 6 months is up, it's up, no? Can anyone confirm I'm free to do as I choose on the 17th, or if I really do need to pay up for a month?

It does depend on the terms of your tenancy agreement, but it is usual for you to give notice, even though the tenancy agreement term has passed.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

It does depend on the terms of your tenancy agreement, but it is usual for you to give notice, even though the tenancy agreement term has passed.

Really? Even if I haven't signed an extension? I assumed that if an end date was specified in a contract then once the term had run that's it. Certainly in my job, I'm contracted for 6 months at a time, and if that runs out the company doesn't give me notice, I'm just without a job.

It is usual for an end date to be included in the contract, but this is normally subject to the provision of a notice period to end it.

The specific mechanism to end it will be governed by the terms of the tenancy agreement - you need to read it to find out the definitive answer.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

Hi all,

We have decided to move out of our rented property because the landlord is trying to sell it and we would like a little more security.

Our 6 month tenancy ends on the 17th of April and I told our agents today that we would not be renewing. The agent told me that I needed a months notice even though our tenancy comes to an end on the 17th. Surely this is nonsense? Once the 6 months is up, it's up, no? Can anyone confirm I'm free to do as I choose on the 17th, or if I really do need to pay up for a month?

Contrary to what you have been told above, this is nonsense. If you leave the property and return the keys on or before 17th April, no notice is required.