• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Reclaiming money piad in error

DarkPony

Hi,

I recently moved to a different part of the NHS, meaning I had to fill in my pay details again. Unfortunately I put the wrong sort code down and my months salary has gone into somebody else's account.

I've tried everything I can to sort this but am gettnig nowhere. My payroll department has been less than helpful basically saying that it's not their responsibility once the money leaves them and goes to the bank. My bank, HSBC has written to the person the money was paid to. Unfortunately the person is claiming they were owed that money and are refusing to pay it back. Obviosly the person it was paid to is lying and trying to take money whcih is not rightfully theirs.

With all parties being uncooperative, could somebody explain what are the next steps I need to take to claim this money back? This is incredibly stressful and I've had to use my savings just to pay the rent.

Any help or advice woudl be very much appreciated.

Pony

Hi,

I recently moved to a different part of the NHS, meaning I had to fill in my pay details again. Unfortunately I put the wrong sort code down and my months salary has gone into somebody else's account.

I've tried everything I can to sort this but am gettnig nowhere. My payroll department has been less than helpful basically saying that it's not their responsibility once the money leaves them and goes to the bank. My bank, HSBC has written to the person the money was paid to. Unfortunately the person is claiming they were owed that money and are refusing to pay it back. Obviosly the person it was paid to is lying and trying to take money whcih is not rightfully theirs.

With all parties being uncooperative, could somebody explain what are the next steps I need to take to claim this money back? This is incredibly stressful and I've had to use my savings just to pay the rent.

Any help or advice woudl be very much appreciated.

Pony

Its the hospitals money so technically there is either (a) another employee who believes the money is theirs or (b) fraud. Might be worth asking the hospital to investigate it with their bank.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Its the hospitals money so technically there is either (a) another employee who believes the money is theirs or (b) fraud.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility there is somebody with the same account number but slightly different sort code working in the same hospital and on the same salary but even then they would realise they have been paid twice. I'm in no doubt it's b) fraud. So what now? Do I go to the police or is this a civil matter? Any practical advice on the steps I need to follow to claim the money back would be much appreciated.

Edited by DarkPony

What does the other person mean by being owed the money?

Well he or she is claiming that they are owed the money as a salary. That's what they told HSBC when they tried to take the money back off him/ her. The fact is they are not owed anything, the payment was made in error and they are attempting to keep the money by deception.

Having made HSBC head office aware of the problem, they were very keen to point out it was not their fault and clearly explained everything they COULD NOT do. I got the impression they just wanted me to shut up and go away and accept I'd lost a month's wages.

However, there was a helpful conversation today with an HSBC deputy manager at my local branch who basically said HSBC head office are "talking rubbish". He said they (head office) should have intervened earlier and taken the erroneous payment back as soon as they were aware of the error. Thankfully the deputy branch manager has taken the case on as a priority. He's taken all the details and liaised with the hospital payroll department to get confirmation of the facts. He's also put the HSBC fraud investigation team on it and promised that I will definitely get the money back. He said that it was ridiculous that it had gone this far as this is an easy problem to address as this sort of thing happens all the time.

We shall see what happens but I'm feeling reassured that'll be getting the money back now. With a bit of luck the little scrote that is trying to steal the money will get a wrap around the knuckles or better. Apparently the person who receives money in error has a duty to tell the bank and pay it back as soon as they notice the error. If they have reasonable grounds why they should keep the money, a civil court case can ultimately be brought against them. If however they are trying to keep the money by deception (ie lying about it when they are asked to pay it back), then it becomes fraud. That is a criminal matter which is an entirely different ball game.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Pony

• 5 months later...

The outcome:

Eventually a deputy branch manager got hold of his regional manager and they went through the banking code together. They found that money can indeed be reclaimed by the bank and given to the right person in a situation like this.

I got my money back. However this took an insane amount of effort and only came about because the deputy manager was a nice guy and prepared to chase this. It's sick that the majority of people in the bank were just prepared to let me swing for nearly £2K. Something should be done about this. The message is be persistent.