• Tweets

• TBH gotta be quite frank here as much as we hate BM world. why didn't you not simply change the battery? or come here FIRST before launch a court claim? or let them do it.? a flat battery is gonna be a hard case to win +£500 on     
    • Hi all, thanks for the feedback. I have now made the final amends and included the supporting evidence in this final version of the WS / court bundle. Attached is the redacted version of this final WS / court bundle. If there is any further feedback, please do let me know. If not, I will get 2 copies printed for posting - 1 to the court and the other to Evri. Final Draft - Witness Statement and Court Bundle redacted.pdf
    • We dispute the claim on the basis the claimant has made not efforts to mitigate their losses, nor did they obtain any prior authorisation. The claimant purchased a used Mini Cooper Convertible from our dealership on or around 21st April 2023. On or around 23rd April 2023 the claimant notified ourselves that the vehicle had failed to start, the claimant had since had this diagnosed as a battery. The Claimant proceeded to book their vehicle with Stephen James (BMW/Mini Main Agent) and authorised a battery replacement and paid a total sum of £597.42, the claimant obtained no authorisation for this cost beforehand, and has since tried reclaiming the full amount. We have advised the claimant we would not consider the cost of the unauthorised repair he has had completed. Had the claimant returned the vehicle to the selling dealer, it is likely we would have offered to replace the battery at no further cost to themselves, we have therefore agreed to offer a contribution of £165 towards the repair. This cost is in line with the cost of a replacement battery had the vehicle been returned to ourselves.    
    • You can only get a CCJ if you lose the case and then stick two fingers up to the court and refuse to pay. Even in the very, very unlikely event of you losing, as long as you paid within the 30 days ordered by the court you wouldn't get a CCJ. But you've come here very late and we need the sticky filling in please.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

george mcm vs Clydesdale bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5546 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is up to you George. In my opinion, there is very little point. There is a very small chance that they initially send you a settlement offer if you give them a schedule with the £3k+ charges on it, but any settlement offer like that is unlikely to be for the full amount anyway.

Their current strategy is to leave it until the last minute to settle for the full amount. During my recent small claim, I received 2 offers before the hearing date: first offering the amount without interest, and then an offer including the interest but without the costs. They only forked out the full amount including cost until after the prelim hearing.

Any settlement offers were related to the court case and the court case number. Sending all the charges in the hope they will pay out the full shilling might be worth a long shot, but you are unlikely to see your full amount without court involvement.

I would be quite happy to be proven wrong though - it would save you a few trips to court:)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About the contractual interest, I wouldn't worry about that. I included 8% contractual interest in my claim, and got the full amount. I didn't word it like it was contractual interest as such, but just that I claimed 8% interest on the charges. My next claim will likely be a more realistically interest percentage, like 10%.

Just claim it the way you want to. The bank doesn't go to court to clarify the matter of contractual interest, because it would mean that the bank would have to actually defend itself during a proof hearing. Y will end up getting the money anyway.

8% is the statutory interest rate normally awarded by the court, but contractual interest is the rate that the bank would charge you, not just a random figure that you think is fair. There are quite a few threads about contractual interest if you are interested Piggy Bank.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I know the difference between statutory and contractual interest Caro. In my first claim I just claimed 8% without stating that this would not be the usual statutory interest, so that it would be less noticeable that I actually claimed this as well, regardless of what interest the sheriff would be awarding me :)

Like I said, I will be claiming the contractual rate charged to me by the bank, which is in effect inbetween 10 and 25% - it's just kinda tricky to calculate precisely.

Either way, if the bank has any issues with how these rates has been calculated in the claim, as far as I'm concerned they can state so during the hearing, and provide the breakdown of the actual percentages charged by themselves.

Thx

Fair enough Piggy, although that wasn't clear to me from your earlier post. I personally did not distinguish between a claim for 8% interest and S69 interest which is currently 8%. If you're planning on claiming contractual interest I would have thought that the current rates published on the banks website would be appropriate, because as you say it would be difficult to calculate otherwise. Obviously you must do what is right for you.

Sorry for the hijack George.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks Caro and piggy bank, thats whats great about this site, everyones opinions helps make your decision easier, SOMETIMES,lol. I get what you were saying Piggy bank caimed 8% interest (contractual) just hid the contractual bit within the POC so as they think its the sec.69 interest and pay up, very cunning move that one lol, just a thought surely they would have a schedule of charges from you and see the amount of interest on that. Will wait for a responce from bank as not due up till end jan anyway.

What i done with my claim was include contractual interest at 29.25% as i have letters from them saying they were charging me that but applied it to the most recent charges i had, (last year) making the interest look a little less, then if they pay hit them with the first charges on the account which has the highest amount of interest on them, in for the long haul so lets see what they do. Will prob send them an updated schedule dated for that day of court and advising them if they pay early they will save some dosh, AND let me start claim no2 quicker,lol. Thanks again for advise.

George. My schedule of charges did include the interest on it, but it didn't actually specifically state the interest rate used... Very cunning;)

I think there is nothing wrong with your approach regarding the contractual interest. The clydesdale for example has, as far as I can see, charged me interest rates between 10% (authorised overdraft rate) and 25ish% (for unauthoriased overdrafts), so if these are the rates quoted by the bank, you are fully within your rights.

Like I said, I doubt that this is a point they want to argue in court anyway, because the only way they can actually argue this would be in a proof hearing, where they would also have to argue they main point of the (un)lawfulness of their charges.

I hope your strategy pays off in terms of speeding up the process. Either way, you will get your money. I just doubt that, due to the processes that seem in place at the banks, they exercise this much judgment in individual cases. They pretty much seem to process them in the same standard manner.

Fingers crossed though, and if you need a hand for court (I forgot where in scotland you were) feel free to give me a shout.

Thx Piggy bank feel at a loss now, lol, all this time to pass before court, maybe i will go pester the halifax for now, to be honest probably go and get my court bundle ready early so i can be well prepaired for them, makes you wonder though how the banks can spin it out for so long yet when we owe them we have 3 days to pay or you are hit with another charge.

All is well as ive now got a fight with Halifax as they will pay charges for last six years but not any longer back as they have written "Legislation states that you are only entitled to re-claim charges you have incurred over the last six years" however they have invited me to phone them and discuss the matter, mmmmmmm.

Total charges from 7 and a half years till now £1700

offer of £434 which is the last 6 years

cant get why they want me to phone them, suppose theres only one way to find out.

I see that YB paid Mollyhannah back over 6 years without too much trouble, although she accepted it without interest.

Hi George, Im new to the forum, I have read through your posts and this has given me some insight on the Clydesdale bank.

I too have received the initial letter from them Quoting "they dont have to provide proof of manual intervention under the DPA but will provide all statements required".

I wish you all the best and will watch forum for your progress.

Hi Shauna and good luck to you, be patient, read up, follow the proven routes and you will get there in the end. got a settlement offer today including the contractual interest at 29.25% but not the court costs, how their minds work puzzles me. £39 court costs arent much in relation to the claim but its the principle aint it?

That's a first result george! I take it this was just for the money claimed in the case and not the full amount of the £3k+?

They offered the same to me as well: claim plus interest but without the costs. I rejected the offer, after which I was offered the full amount including costs, following the prelim hearing. Up to you whether you want to leave it at that really.

Good offer George but I don't understand how their minds work either. They'll pay my court costs but not the interest. Although that is Yorkshire, not strictly Clydesdale, but Clydesdale legal bods. You can never predict what they'll do.:confused:

And yes George it is the principle. I understand why people are settling for less than full claims, but it doesn't help the rest of us who hold out, and those claiming in the future. I find it quite frustrating.

Yes Piggy bank it was for that claim only, but if they pay once would they have to pay the rest of my claim the same, with cont int, just a thought. Yes Caro it only gives them the encouragement to continue down this road, the thing is if no one accepted without costs they would never offer it, thats never going to happen. But as Piggy bank already said you could wait till after the prelim hearing and if you have multiple claims it could take a hell of a time to get it all back. Deep thoughts required here due to the contractual interest being included in my offer, think i will accept the first one without the costs so as i have a settlement with the contractual interest for future claims, hate losing the £39 but will after settling this one settle for no less than the full claim plus costs.

For 39.00 when you are getting contractual interest I think that's reasonable. I was forgetting the costs are lower but the interest rate more than makes up for it. How many times are you going to have to do this George?

Only another 5 years and you've cracked it then! PMSL

But hold on, by then it will be so much more interest it will probably be another 5 years.

:D

I know pmsl always said this looked like a good retirement fund even though ive got 30 yrs to go, was wondering IF u sent another prelim and lba to them would they have the cheek to reply in the same manner as they did the first time knowing that you have already had a settlement.

I'm sure they would. I think Robertxc has said you don't need to send another prelim, just an LBA. Presumably it's because you already told them the total amount you will be claiming so can go straight to LBA. That saves a bit of time.

UNBELIEVABLE, this shower are so incompetant, today i received a letter from them and inside it was someone elses BANKBOOK with sort code, name, account no, etc etc and £34 thousand pounds, IDENTITY THEFT is on the increase and this mob dont help, phoned them at 11am they took my number and said they would phone back, at 3pm i phoned the scottish Sun who took the details and phoned them for any comments, after that converstaion the Clydesdale Bank did phone me and asked if i could send it to them via mail. Shocking the actions that this bank take.