• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Equita Bailiff/kb ba1 - further help wanted.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5501 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Would echo that last advice completely. Equita are renowned for trying it on and frequently overcharge relying on the fact that many people don't know their rights. I would also issue a form 4 complaint against the bailiff concerned in the court issuing his licence which means that a judge will look at your evidence to see if the bailiff has been up to no good. If the judge is satisfied the bailiff has been taking liberties he can remove his bailiff licence and award you damages out of the bailiffs bond money. Equita as a company are in the courts regularly for various breaches.

The sooner more people get together and fight these people the better it will be for us all. It is not illegal to be in debt but the way these people operate would make you think otherwise. If you have the evidence against the bailiff then investigate the matter further, you'd be surprised how quickly individuals fold when they are the ones being pursued by the authorities. Best of luck.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on that, we'll be following you in a few weeks time once we've given a Mr Deakin enough time to dig his hole deeper. Equita normally fall apart quite quickly from my own understanding and research and although they'll normally back a bailiff up with lies right o the end they won't risk their own neck when the crunch comes. No honour amongst thieves eh? :lol:

Good luck and make sure you get damages for the hassle and trauma you'e been subjected to.

To be honest any letter you send to Equita will have very limited benefit, they simply do not engage with complaints as you have probably already found. I'd send the letter to them purely to show that you've been through the motions of contacting them as you need to show you've attempted to settle the issues before you take Equita or an individual bailiff to court.

They'll probably send you a letter pretending to be concerned etc if you're lucky. I'm no expert but I would wait for a response from Equita and once you've 'done that bit' and got nowhere continue to pursue the bailiff with the form 4 as he is responsible for his actions. I take it you have proof of his wrongdoings and that these conflict with bailiff practice or you wouldn't have issued the form 4 complaint already? When your evidence and case is heard and hopefully upheld you can apply for costs/reasonable damages from his bond.

If Equita themselves are responsible also in some way as an employer - for example contributing to the failure of the bailiff, obstructing you in obtaining information, sending deceitful letters, misrepresenting their powers, the list goes on, you could then take Equita to court for these breaches and ask for damages also using the bailiff case as further weight to your argument. Frequently they lie about attending a property and add costs and a good one to pursue is proof they have actually attended for the times you've been billed for. A subject access request would get you that information. If they then cannot provide GPS evidence of those apparant visits to tie up with the listed visits that could be one way to go but they really do make it easy in general to get them for something as their practices really are very poor. If they don't reply in time to the SAR complain to the data commissioners office in London. I did and Equita got in trouble for it. If they do that too many times they'll drop themselves right in it ;)

Also ensure the instructing party (a council perhaps) are involved as they are legally responsible too. There's a lot of leverage if you can play the waiting game and it can be very easy in time to turn the two against each other as neither party when it comes to the crunch wish to be seen in their true light and there are serious implications for them. I'm drilling northampton council at the moment for a series of huge failures and they're getting themselves deeper in it by the week. I will be pursuing damages action soon as we're ten months in and still a huge number of problems exist all built on lies and deceit which they can't wriggle out of anymore.

As for mental turmoil and other things you could claim for that but you'd need to show evidence for this. A visit to the GP to log your specific problems relating to the bailiff/Equita would be helpful. Any losses you claim for need to be reasonable and you have to show evidence for them. Unlike Equita you can't just make a sum of money up and claim for it but if you can show how it's a loss to you or how you've been affected you can claim for it. Would your employer write you a testimony and show how your performance has been compromised for example? Did this result in a lost performance bonus for example? You get the idea.

Evidence = loss = award. Whatever you claim for obtain reasonable evidence and you'll be fine.

Ultimately if you put a concise claim together Equita would be stupid to let it get to court but accepting an offer or waiting for court intervention is a whole new ball game in terms of recovering costs/damages. Keep us all posted as Equita are in many peoples bad books and the day will come when they won't get away with thier current practices.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jewel,

Glad you've got in touch with the forum here. Unfortunately you appear to be at the hands of a particularly sad individual who has definitely overstepped the mark. Follow the advice on here and between us all you'll get through it. The council appear to have adopted a shocking approach by ignoring you, I believed they had a legal responsibility to control any agent they instruct and it appears they're trying to ignore you.

As well as the MP I'd also consider a complaint to the local government ombudsman about maladministration of your council. Equita are well known for breaking all of the rules and they do this because not enough people complain/know their rights. It's vital these companies are brought to account and the charging is ridiculous. It has to reflect their actual costs and usually they have little in the way of those, it's pretty much made up.

Follow it through, don't feel victimised as you're simply another one of the many thousand in the same position. Once you have evidence of what the bailiff has been up to submit a form 4 complaint against him in the court that issued his licence. If the proof is good he'll lose it and you'd have done the world a great service. Picking on kids is just not on, hope your daughter is ok :). Keep us all posted.