• Tweets

• Appreciate your response BankFodder. I am aware that the Consumer Rights Act does not apply in my case as I operate a business and, instead, should rely on the Supply of Goods and Services Act and Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977. I was a little unsure as, when I read the judgement of Hashim Farooq v EVRi Parcelnet, July 2023 I presumed that,  as Farooq had supplied laptops through Amazon,  the Consumer Rights Act would not apply but the judge refers to it in Section 22 as to why the claimant should be given judgment. Have I read this correctly? The reason for not offering full reimbursement was because I did not take out insurance for the full value.  In regards to correspondence from my customer,  I have emails from her in my timeline stating that she was waiting all week and that no one attempted delivery.  I have no doubt that she will be willing to corroborate the events with a written statement.
    • When you post information here you will have to post it in single file multipage PDF format. Follow the upload link. However, it would be more helpful if you could simply answer the questions that we have put to you and we can deal with paperwork afterwards if we think we need it.  
    • I was trying to post all the paperwork that I have, namely facebook ad, messages between the seller and my son etc . But I'm getting the message that the files are to large. 
    • First of all please can you tell us the name of the seller, something about the van – age/year, mileage, price paid. How far away is the seller from where your son lives? Who do you take it to for this inspection? Are they prepared to give you a written list of the things that they found? This is very important and you may well have to get an independent inspection from somebody such as the AA. This will cost you some kind of feedback we expect that we will be able to help you get it back. I would say that if you have to bring a court claim – which is likely – then your chances of success are better than 95% but the difficulty might be enforcing the judgement against the seller. We will have to no more in order to give you better advice. Does it have an MOT? What is the date of it and who gave it the MOT? I suggest that you start taking pictures of all of the defects that you can find.   Also I am going to say that I believe that you came over from Facebook where you were already informed that we would need at least all of the information which I have requested above. It will save a lot of time and effort for everybody if you can simply come up with the things that we ask without too much delay
    • My autistic son brought a van from a private seller. ( there was 5 other cars on his drive and another van, plus loads of machanic tools in his hallway,  so he probably is a unofficial dealer).  He gave the van a once over, he checked for any warning lights that might be on, there was none. He checked underneath for any rust etc, it all looked fine. The body was rough, but you'd expect that for the age of the van.  He got his brothers machanic to give it a pre mot check, as the van was old so he expected it to have a few problems. The van is a deathtrap, the seller had blacked out all the warning lights that were on the dash,  and I mean all.  He had also painted some kind of black stuff on the underside, to hide all the damage there.   My son drove it for over 2 hours to get it home. The machanic said he's surprised my son is still alive, and an untrained eye would not of seen what the seller had done.  Iv asked the seller for a refund and for him to have the van back, but he is refusing. Is there anything we can do.   
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

help please? reposession order for the 18th Feb 2009

dehowletts
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4232 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have to be honest with you - the fact that you haven't had answers to your questions etc isn't going to stop you being evicted. It's the fact that you haven't paid what you said you would at the hearing.

I know that's probably not what you want to hear but I'm afraid the judge can only take into account whether you can pay or not:(

Were you unable to borrow the money from your mother?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, now you've got your head round the seriousness of the situation :)

Can I suggest that you don't send a letter offering to pay - but that you make the payment and then send the letter telling them that it's been done.

Then tell the mortgage counsellor to take a hike!! No doubt the lender will be adding the costs for him to your account, so once you've brought the account up to date you can write to them telling them you're not paying for a service you didn't ask for!

Any questions you want answered should be put to them once you are not under threat of being evicted - the priority is to keep the roof over your head while you argue the issues you've got.

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Don't hang about Claire, if you've got the money - make the payment. We can deal with the other stuff when your house is safe.

Apologies if I was a bit blunt - but I just needed you to know the reality of the situation:)

You weren't being dull! you just misunderstood the terms of the court order - easily done when you're not used to the terminology, coupled with the stress of the hearing and possible eviction. Don't be too hard on yourself, at least you're in a position to rectify the situation.:)

Thank you for your kind words, it's much appreciated:)

Ellx

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, how much did you actually pay? and when?

was it all the monthly payments due since you submitted your N244?

But did you make the normal monthly payments as well ??

OK, you're going to have to enter another N244 at court to defend this eviction notice. They have obviously taken the action due to the monthly payment not being met. I think the best thing you can do on Monday morning is to phone Shelter and see if they can get anywhere with the DSS (as they seem to be giving you the runaround)and the payments to the mortgage

Shelter England - The housing and homelessness charity

Their advisors are marvellous at that sort of thing.

Obviously I can help you with the N244 but we're going to need a good story to put in it. It seems the mortgage company don't want to change the account to interest only, and we'll need to stress this point to the court.

One you have been in touch with Shelter post back on here and we'll see what plan of action we can come up with.

Who is your lender?

Has your husband started his new job yet? or are you both still unemployed?

Ell

Hi, my day job is HR Manager for a large manufacturing company so from time to time when we have a vacancy a couple of the agencies we use are engaged to select candidates (usually a technically specific role).

Quite often I get fantastic CV's (and wish I could give those people a job!) but the specific skill set or experience isn't quite right. I know you say you have been with the agency for a long time - but are you sure they are matching you with the right role?

Ellx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, crikey - that sounds a very stressful situation for you :( were you able to offer anything in your N244 application? Do you need any help with anything?

Ellx

Hi, for tomorrow's hearing you need to be VERY clear on all the issues ME have have failed to respond to, you will need documentary proof of :

the letters you sent

SAR request etc (these two should have proof of receipt if sent by recorded delivery)

Details of the mortgage rescue scheme and your qualification for the scheme

Evidence of your husband's job offer

In other words you need to provide as much evidence of the "positives" so the judge can see there are more of them than the "negatives".

If things don't go your way (God Forbid), then you need to ask the judge for leave to appeal. If there is a chance your mum may need to pay the arrears, then she should take some evidence of having the funds with her to court.

Please let me know if there's anything you need help with.

Ellx

Hi, can you post what you put in Q.10 of the N244?

Hi there, firstly - under no circumstances should you say that the money your mum can give you is a loan! the judge would see that as placing you into further debt - it must be stated as a gift.

You need to take an up to date statement to court with you - do you still have any of the ones I drafted for you?

If so, keep the same format but the first sentence should say " We respectfully request the court to consider the following information when hearing our application. This information is supplementary to that which is contained within Q.10 of our N244."

As Jansus says, can your mum get a fax from her solicitor sent to the court confirming she has access to the funds ? To be honest I think that will be your best (and probably only) chance.

You should also make a point of stating that the £10k arrears is unconfirmed as it contains arrears monthly charges and you have been unable, despite several requests, to obtain a detailed statement.

Why did the solicitor not quote the Norgan case and the Administration of Justice Act in your N244?

Ell

OK, is this solicitor going to court with you tomorrow?

yes

Well kick her ass before you go in just to sharpen her up a bit !

If it helps, statement affixed:

De Howletts 20th July.doc

Did you provide any evidence to contradict the ME rep that you had paid more than £68?

You can prepare a statement and get it to court before next monday ! What proof do you have of what you have paid (and the DWP have paid) in the last 12 months. Get on to the DWP and tell them the urgency and that you need confirmation of payments.

Next send a letter by "special" delivery - tonight if possible - to ME telling them you need a complete breakdown of arrears and payments to reach you before Friday or you will report to the court that they are frustrating your attempts to form a defence as you have asked for the information repeatedly. Copy the letter to Richard Banks CEO at Bradford & Bingley, Croft Road Crossflatts Bingley, West Yorkshire BD16 2UA (FAX it to 01274 551022 - marked urgent for his attention) and also post it marked private and confidential. At the bottom of the letter to ME put cc. Richard Banks CEO by special delivery and fax.

If you need help with the letter just shout.

You then need to get as much written evidence of your qualification for the mortgage rescue scheme as possible.

In the meantime your mum needs to get some sort of proof of her ability to pay the arrears, just in case she needs to .......

Ell

when you copy the letter to the CEO make sure you put copies of the previous requests with it so he can see that they haven't complied with any of them.

Just a suggestion for the letter to ME:

Dear Sirs,

Re:XXXXXXX

We write with reference to the above account which has regrettably become subject to possession proceedings.

Despite keeping you updated of our situation at all times and requesting both a breakdown of the arrears you claim are owed and a subject access request in order for us to collate a proper defence, you have failed to comply with any request.

As you are no doubt aware, at the hearing on 20th July the court gave us 7 days to gather further information to stop eviction. Your non compliance with our requests leads us to believe that you are intent on withholding the information in order to repossess our property

We now require you to furnish us with the information by Friday 24th July. Should you fail to comply a copy of this letter and the proof of your receipt will be presented to the court. Also, a copy of this letter together with copies of our previous requests have been sent to your Chief Executive Richard Banks, by special delivery and also by fax.

I trust you will now be able to comply with our request.

Yours faithfully,

XXXX

And for the CEO

Dear Sir,

RE XXXX

I am writing to ask for your assistance regarding the above account with Mortgage Express and their failure to provide any information which we have requested on several occasions and despite a formal complaint to the FOS.

The situation is now critical as their failure to comply is frustrating our attempts to structure a proper defence which we believe will save our home from being repossessed.

Please find affixed copies of letters sent to Mortgage Express regarding the above account.

I trust you will be able to offer us your assistance in this matter.

Yours faithfully,

XXXXXX

Encs.

Jansus, you have to ask for a transcript of the hearing - this can take several weeks and there is a hefty fee for it.

:)

When dealing with these people your letters should always be concise and to the point - just give them the facts, they're not interested in anything else and long letters never get read to the end :rolleyes:

What did they send you ?

Have you sent the letter posted above?

I'm afraid I have to be brutally honest with you here hun - I think you're only hope of saving the situation is for your mum to pay the arrears - I can't see how a judge would suspend eviction on the evidence you have, it's just not strong enough. Judges have to take into consideration how the arrears are to be paid and the likelihood of your being able to make the monthly payments going forward.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I feel you need to pull something out of the bag here.

Please do PM :)

Good result!:) Looking forward to hearing the full story......