• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Natwest taking me to court ***All 3 Claims Discontinued***

texanbar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4329 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tex

Just means the dj has ensured your application gets a full hearing. The other side now have the opportunity to object, app to set-aside or vary order [within 7 days of service].

If they don't make application I'd be inclined to invite them to discontinue, give it a few days and check with the court to see if anythings been filed.

Gez

• 2 weeks later...

Tex

Would love to offer some advice on this but I'm struggling for caselaw at the mo........ in the back of my mind I remember this contradicts parts 19 & 20 [representatives and counters] but I'm buggered if I can find the source of what I'm looking for. Hoping the mere mention of it will point someone else in the right direction to assist.

Gez

Hi Tex

Pretty sure Andy is off looking for the same info, in essence its the same claim, same defendant [joint and several], same particulars........... usually see these issued at the same time and joined, but with yours they seem to have set a precendent and delayed service on 2nd defendant.

Have you applied for costs from previous yet?

Gez

Hi tex

In all honesty I think you need to get the costs application in sooner rather than later so it can be used as a part 20 counter should this proceed beyond December allocation. God knows how this will play out as essentially you would be asking the court to be joined and also requesting NW be joined as co-defendant/claimant............ thats why the buggers don't usually try it on.... may be enough to go down the consent/Tomlin route and put this to bed once and for all though.

As for NW and their intransigence........ if you need a WS let me know

Gez

Hi tex

In all honesty I think you need to get the costs application in sooner rather than later so it can be used as a part 20 counter should this proceed beyond December allocation. God knows how this will play out as essentially you would be asking the court to be joined and also requesting NW be joined as co-defendant/claimant............ thats why the buggers don't usually try it on.... may be enough to go down the consent/Tomlin route and put this to bed once and for all though.

As for NW and their intransigence........ if you need a WS let me know

Check your e-mail for the link, couldnt leave it up for too long :-)

Gez

Tex

Do you have the original poc still posted on here [joint o/d + loan] from initial claim?........ keep trying to check but Cag keeps logging me off arghhhhh, if its on here can you let me know the post # please.

Gez

Cheers Andy

Any mention of the individual account numbers at any time during case? Sorry, I know I'm being a pain in the butt, lol......... I'm sure you can see where this is going with a NW/RBS split claim and additional points to rebuttal WS :-)

Gez

Hi Tex

In my mind you can add the split claim aspect to the rebuttal. Assume hubbys defence was slightly acock with reference to the loan rather than the joint o/d

, not a problem to fix within w/s.......... if they can get away with a 2 year slip in dates then I'm sure you can adjust w/s to suit ;-)

Think my broadband connections giving me grief today and keeps throwing me off the site so if I don't appear to be responding you'll know why.

Gez

Tex

I'll have a read tomorrow......... when I'm sober, lol

We'll get something put together in good time, not so sure you'll be able to get your hands on the transcripts before the 13th though so it may be prudent to start writing down as much as you can remember from the last hearing. If you're not sure of what was said or the intent of the dj prob best not to include [for now].

If you get time tomorrow, have a squint at their WS again and start pencilling some notes next to each paragraph saying [in your own words] how and why you dispute their statement of events....... if you bring one or 2 paragraphs into question from the onset the rest will gradually fail and lose any weight if this goes before the dj........... accuracy is not their strong point, they can't seem to remember the effective year of cause.

Gez

Tex

Sorry, thought of something else......... have they issued you or your o/h with any statements of account between initial claim date and filing of this one?

Have they given any indication of how the value has risen? If this has been via CMS the value will include legal fees for their previous failed attempts

Gez

Hi Gez,

Many thanks for your assistance with our claim. Okay, they have issued both myself and OH with bank statements which are dated from 03/08/2004-19/10/2010. The last amount on the statement is £6237.92 which is the exact figure NW/IM are claiming on Mr Tex's claim (exc. their costs).

However, the £6237.92 has at least £2000 worth of charges/interest on there.

I'm working on the WC now, so this will follow shortly

Tex

Hi Tex

Have the statements been issued in the normal course of business [monthly etc], or have they only been sighted in litigation?

What year was o/h details attached to account?

Thanks

Gez

Tex

This is the sticking point......... Andy's far better versed in CPR than I but............. I have a feeling you'd need to be joined to lay claim to costs in the 3rd. Not a huge problem as 99% of costs are effective in cases 1 & 2 - this is leverage after all :-)

Last case [2nd] should be the effective claim number as it encompasses all litigation to date [with the exception of o/h]

I may be well off the mark with this so hold fire for Andys comments

Gez

Hi Tex

Are you both named as witnesses in current app to strike?

If so, prepare two statements, 1 for hubby......... gear his toward Henderson + abuse and intransigence of claimant, don't make it overtly obvious though its a statement no need for legalese....... and 1 for you - you get away with being far more aggressive in stance, not as in raaaaaa give me my money you muppets ;-) Temper it but make sure the dj is aware of your feelings by the time he/she has finished reading it. You can include reference to costs within yours. Hubby can alude to it but can't really associate one with the other until sj is heard and disposed of [catch 22].

As for statements of account, Natwest have a habit of hiding behind telford......... bet they'll swear blind you were sent them every month though

Gez

Tex

Okey dokey, what about at aq stage of current claim? Need to get you both in there one way or another...... were mr and mrs tex named or included as witnesses 1 and 2 within N150?

Try searching on here [and google] for Henderson v henderson, it effectively set the standard for Joint and several claims - as for the abuse and intransigence angle, thats where semantics of WS will have greatest effect.......,Andy referred to it earlier with reference to dj's comments at previous hearing, dj's are a clicky bunch and if a claimant disregards a colleagues directions [whether implied or ordered] woe betide them if they try it on at a later date.

Gez

Hi Tex

Their reference to you should be enough to swing it with the dj, prepare 2 W/S for the hearing

N252 to court for sealing, usual protocol would be to serve costs on other side first and give them the opportunity to setlle...... but in this instance file and serve the N252, saves copying the same info again.

Everything should be heard at the same time or adjourned to a later date when more time can be allocated. Hearing would normally follow logic, if part can be disposed of it moves on to the next, if the first part wins at the first hurdle its concluded save costs. Hearing should go as follows:

1. SJ and witness statements for both sides

2. If SJ fails, strike out app is the next logical step

3. Assessment for costs in cases 1 & 2

4. Application for costs in 3

Gez

• Haha 1

Sorry, I meant, will the DJ choose to proceed with the SJ hearing first before the Strike Out hearing?

x

Hi Tex

Yep, sorry but the natural course would be to dispose of the SJ first........ if it fails it moves on to the Strike out appy.

You can't strike out an undecided validity to claim hence the order of hearing.

WS's are vital to your case, costs are secondary [for the first 15 minutes at least] but will be come into their own and be equally as vital in leverage pre-hearing and post SJ decision

Gez

Not so sure, defence was filed v pl not od [admittedly in error and partly due to the claimants conduct]........ I have a feeling the WS's would need to be heard in abeyance of a valid defence before the case can be progressed.

Gez

Tex

I won't be about tomorrow....... day surgery for my knee [again], depending on how groggy I feel I may not be able to look in again until Tuesday evening.

Start stringing a few paragraphs together when you can for the WS's, you've got a few days yet so plenty of time....... post them as attachments, not directly on your thread. The other side will probably be viewing this and won't be able to access the details unless they're logged in as forum members.

Gez

Sorry ... I'm now worried,

Is it not prudent to submit an amended defence to prop up the Strike out application, because at the moment we don't have a right defence in. I agree the WS's will be extra ammunition against the SJ and understand the deterrent the WC's application may provide.

Tex

Tex

No need to worry...... honestly, the position remains the same its just a matter of the order in which the dj deals with it that may be a bit arse about face.

You can't amend your defence as such until directed to, unless the claim is amended theres no protocol for amending defence. The WS are in essence now your defence to the case for SJ

Gez

Tex

Assume the statements of account recently issued are in the name of both Mr & Mrs Tex? Identical [barring interest encumbrance] breach and remedy sought within their WS and application

Catch up with you this evening

Gez

Hi Tex

No worries, I'll be about every evening this week so shout when your ready.

Knee's good thanks, working from home for a day or 2 myself.......... I've rediscovered daytime tv all over again, lol

Gez

Hi Tex

Sorry, just got in......... will have a look through the details again tomorrow/today :-) evening and see if we can bulk out the w/s to cover any/all counter positions from the other side.

Andy has come up with some excellent pointers [as always], I think you'd be well served to include a nod toward the above noted case

Catch up with you later, should be on here from 19.00 [ish], if you're about for the evening we'll try to get both w/s completed.

Not sure on protocol re: CPR12.3, but I'm sure Andy will walk you through that one if you decide it's a route you want to test.

Best wishes

Gez