Car failed MOT at one garage, but passed at another! Advice?

lgch25
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5600 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry Riget I think you are mistaken - They dont even take the wheel off for MOT so how are they going to know that the brake pads are less than 1.5mm thick.

They only test braking efficiency and balance, look for corrosion on pipes and leaks and fraying on flexible hoses and signs of leakage on calipers and from drums.

the 1.5mm you quote seems to me to be suspiciously close to the 1.6mm minimum depth of tread on a tyre - although I am just speculating here.

Oh, dear. Please check out the MoT Testers Manual:

MOT UK car and vehicle MOT information equipment car servicing parts and spares - brake components

Inspection f, g and h

• Haha 1

I have to fail it on the pads, what about the calipers? The car passes the roller brake test but I know the calipers are sticking.

When the car is jacked up over the pit on the crossmember so that the suspension hangs to check balljoints, all MoT testers at this point spin each wheel to specifically check that no brakes are binding, if any are it's a fail.