• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

VG - Vs Northen Rock - Charging Order

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3160 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I heard nothing since then until today when I received further court papers saying "Judgement For The Claimant" I was not given an option to attend court and explain my reasons for a DMP, I have another 6 creditors who all seem OK with my DMP arrangement, apart from this one.

Did you/CCCS apply for a time order?

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time orders under section 129 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 can be used for 'regulated agreement' debts. CCCS may not be aware that they could have applied for this.

What type of debt is this? When was it taken out?

Here's some info on time orders Debt Factsheets - Time Orders

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Okay, I think it would be a good idea to give National Debtline a phone for some further support (Tel: 0808 808 4000).

Have NR applied for an interim charging order yet?

If you wish to defend the interim charging order being made final, objections must be made to the claimant no less than seven days before the hearing. The letter with your arguments must be sent recorded delivery to both creditor and court.

A time order is only a valid option if your agreement is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act (which yours is).

You can ask the court to consider a time order on its own initiative before making a charging order final. The court will usually look into the position of the creditor as well as your situation when deciding whether a time order is ‘just’. This means the court will look at the reasons you took out the loan, consider how long and how much you have repaid to date, look at how you have attempted to resolve the issue to date and the creditor’s actions.

Does anyone else have a beneficial interest in your property?

• Haha 1

I don't know, some months ago I had a court paper come through from the court which I sent off to CCCS, they completed it and sent it back to the court.

I think you need to get in touch with CCCS over this and find out exactly what is going on. You need to know exactly what they have done.

Here is some useful information on the process of charging orders and what they mean Debt Factsheets - Charging orders in the county court

• 2 weeks later...

As you say in all likelyhood there will be a valid copy of the agreement somewhere but there's certainly no harm in asking for it.

I spoke with CCCS and I'm informed because I've admitted the debt by offering a monthly payment, the CCJ is automatic.

I'm afraid so, yes.

Have you applied for a time order?

Just a thought, did you admit the debt in the claim papers e.g. making an offer of payments? Or did you state that you would defend?

I’ve never been so scared as what I am at the moment in case I lose my home,

Try not to worry about this (I know that's impossible to do at the moment but do try). Sale orders after a charging order are very rare and judges will only grant them in exceptional circumstances. Judges really don't like granting them and if you are making an offer to pay the charge then that strengthens your case.

Can I ask, do you have children and if so how old are they?

How is the property owned e.g. are you joint tenants or are you tenants in common?

Joint tenants is where the property is owned by you both but neither of you own a particular share in the property. In this situation it is just normally assumed that each person owns half the property.

Tenants in common is where the property is still owned by both of you but the share in the property is defined. For example it could be a 50/50 split or one of you could own 10% of the property and the other one 90%. So to put it another way tenants in common is where you both have a predetermined share in the property.

These companies are offering "Financial Advice" I'm registered with MPS (Mail preference service) to stop junk mail, are these companies allowed to send me mail?

Not really. I would make a complaint to MPS. Here's how to complain MPS Online Registration

These sort of companies are nothing better than ambulance chasers in the main who will search the register for people with CCJ's and "help" you for a fee. Many of them are just cowboys out for a quick buck preying on people in vunerable situations.

• 2 weeks later...

The link doesn't work.

This really is the same info as creditcardmug has posted but may be a little easier for you to follow.

A default notice must contain all of the necessary information. This includes

• a statement saying the notice is a default notice served under section 87(1) of the 1974 Act
  • a description of the agreement
  • the name and address of both the debtor and the creditor
  • details of the breach (i.e. late payment) and, if the breach can be remedied, the date by which it must be remedied or, if the breach is not capable of remedy, the amount required to be paid after the expiry of the specified date;
  • a statement saying: if the action required by this notice is taken before the date shown no further enforcement action will be taken in respect of that breach
  • a statement saying: if you do not take the action required by this notice before the date shown then the further action set out below may be taken against you
  • a clear and unambiguous statement saying that if the action is not taken by the date specified, what it will do (for example, if will it terminate the agreement)
  • if the agreement is one of hire purchase or conditional sale, a statement saying: but if you have paid at least one third of the total amount payable under the agreement set out below (or any installation charge plus one third of the rest of the amount payable). The creditor may not take back the goods against your wishes unless he gets a court order. (In Scotland, he may need to get a court order at any time.) If he does take them back without your consent or a court order, you have the right to get back all of the money you have paid under the agreement set out below
  • if an amount of money is required to be paid, the amount before deducting any rebate on early settlement
  • statements saying:
    if you have difficulty in paying any sum owing under the agreement or taking any other action required by this notice, you can apply to the court which may make an order allowing you more time
    if you are not sure what to do, you should get help as soon as possible. For example you should contact a solicitor, your local trading standards department or your nearest citizens' advice bureau

Also as of 1st October 2006 the period of notice to remedy the breach was increased from 7 days to 14 days from the date of service of the default notice. The CCA quite clearly states that the creditor shall not take action such as mentioned in s87(1) before the date so specified or before those 14 days have elapsed.