HSBC Unfair Charges - Which way to go?

alanalana
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Lex,

Hi Alan,

I have looked into this a bit further, Johnny is right, the services have no interest unless you daughter is having criminal or bankruptcy action taken against her. (If this was the case it would be me taking the action:eek:) As the bank appear to have accepted that you are handling your daughters affairs in her absence, I feel a court will accept this as long as you have informed them !! I will contact the County Court to point out the issues and see what happens, That is assuming it gets that far, very, very few of the 10,000 people that this site has helped reclaim their charges have ever been near the courtroom steps. Yes and that is a victory for CAG in itself. It is just a shame that there are so few on here. There are others getting help on other forums like MSE but there must be many many more getting no help. Advertising campaign needed me thinks:)

Your doing fine Alan :-) Thank you for the research time and the support it is appreciated.

Lex

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Thanks for the confirmation , Mr Lex , :)

I think you can probably see your way clearer now aa, keep us posted on how it goes , if you would be so kind.... :cool:. Your experience could obviously help others, but as an old PPI veteran , you know that anyway ;):D.

It is a pity that not more people are around to help , but I don't think anyone goes unanswered on HSBC .........

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

• 5 years later...

Hi there

I know this is some time after the original post. I wonder if anyone can help. I have got a list of my bank charges from HSBC and in total this amounts to just over £2000 over an 8 year period mostly for unauthorised overdraft fees and a few unpaid direct debits. Some of the charges for the overdraft fees amount to £150 a time. I was not aware at the time that I could reclaim these and I am currently in a DMP and have been out of work and working on a contract basis on a lot less money than I was on - I wrote to HSBC and asked for the fees to be repaid, they said they would not repay these and sent me information about managing debt. They referred me to the recent court case in 2007 about the legality of the charges and the subsequent outcome in the banks favour. They state that their charges are fair and within their Fair Fees Policy. They state "we do not charge if the increase in borrowing is £10.00 or less. We never charge customers more than the level of the highest excess overdraft during the relevant charging period, rounded down to the nearest £1.00. Only one fee will be applied per day up to a maximum of £150.00 in any one monthly charging period".

However, if they are putting charges of up to £150 each month, how is anyone supposed to get out of the mess they are in, these fees, in my case snowballed and added to my financial difficulties.

I going to send a complaint form to the FOS and have stated I am willing to file a claim in the court to retrieve this. I have stated my financial hardship and that the fees were the catalyst of the problem as they kept racking up each month, making the situation worse. Is this the right thing to do or should I go straight down the court route? Also, how much will it cost going via the court?

Thanks in advance.