• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Halifax keep on withdrawing from my bank account?

mak71
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5696 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks, will get onto the authorities today

which authority is most likely to have most clout on this matter?

is there any one authority i should be approaching first and being persistent with?

Mak

Trading standards would be the best bet (yours and the area where they are based)

You can't complain to the Financial Ombudsman until you have made a formal complaint to the Halifax & had their final response - so it's a good idea to make that complaint now as well

• 2 weeks later...

Well bit of an update

Trading standards eventually advised me to speak to the financial ombudsman,

i did and he said i should contact halifax and tell them ive never agreed to the £700 overdraft and see how i got on direct with them and any proiblems to get back in touch.

Now halifax have added charges for the priviledge of being overdrawn too:mad:

I rang halifax, spoke to a woman who wasnt very understanding,said ide taken out the loans and had to pay them:eek: , i asked if that meant them drawing the money from my account on an unauthorised overdraft which ive never agreed to and which was now iincurring charges and was that acceptable or not? she tried to side track the issue, i explained one of the direct debits in question for a loan which they hadnt supplied me a cca for, at this point she was in cloud cookoo land, didnt have a clue, and said i had to pay so thats why they were taking the money,

I told her ide cancelled the direct debits/standing orders and had documented proof re screenshots, and my account stating no direct debits or standing orders were active.she said according to her system they were still active,to which i suggested they must have re instated them internally and i considered that appaling behaviour from a financial institution

Eventually she got bored of my no cca rambling and put me through to a bloke in loan accounts, he was much more understanding and clued up, explained the cca situation and he said he could see my letters on file etc, and a cca has apparently been sent a few days ago, (only a week late but better late than never hey) await its arrival with great anticipation.

Anyway he agreed amounts over my agreed overdraft shouldnt really have been processed, and has now cancelled the direct debits/standing orders, and i have him on record stating this,so will just play this one by ear now, but how do i go about getting my charges back? are all bank charge claims suspended now pending high court ruling or can i still apply for any charges to be refunded?

Mak

Edited by mak71

Although my case wasn't as deep as yours, I had a similar issue with the Halifax. I had a current account, I also had a Halifax CC.

I lost my job, was unable to pay the CC payments as I didn't even qualify for benefits. They still took money out, without my knowing, to pay the CC. That caused DD's for my regular bills to fail, for which I was charged of course. I cancelled all the DD's to stop that happening again.

As far as I'm aware, they are supposed to inform you they've taken money, but they didn't. It wasn't until I got a statement, a couple of months later, that I found out.

That had made me go overdrawn, I got slapped with charges galore which eventually went up to £170. They then closed the current account and threatened all sorts if I didn't pay the balance off.

I pointed out they were the ones who had authorised the payments, not me, so the terms they used were invalid. My agreement was that I would not make payments that would cause my account to become overdrawn - and I hadn't. If they caused the overdraft by their own actions, and then added further charges, it was not of my doing...

In the meantime I had discovered the CAG and started action to reclaim bank charged they had made. The full story is at http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-if-successes/39442-old-dj-halifax.html

The outcome was that not only did they repay the charges, but part of the deal was they they would drop any recovery action for the unauthorised overdraft. I would have stuck to my guns on insisting it was not my actions which caused that.

When I added everything up, and them wiping out the old overdraft, I actually gained on the deal... ;-) In retrospect, let them close your Hx account, then they can't take any more from it. Tell them you're not paying anything into it so it's up to them what the next move is...

It's a slog, but hopefully worth it in the long run.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Thanks, going to pop into the branch over the weekend,see how i get on,

Are all bank account claims now on hold pending high court ruling,?

is it only credit card companies now that the account holder can claim charges back from?

Mak