• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Link Financial have done a mass mailing of Default Notices re: assigned accounts.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm posting on behalf of a friend who unfortunately doesn't hav e computer access.

Like me he lives abroad and Link did instruct a local Solicitor to act on their behalf although this was long before they sent out the DNs. He is also with a DMP in the UK who are now submitting the monthly payments to the Solicitor in question (exactly the same as me). He hasn't heard anything from said Solicitor since about 3 weeks prior to the DNs being sent out.

He is in the same position as all of us here and has asked if I would ask the following questions:

1. The date for the agreement to be terminated has now passed and he, like the rest of us, has heard nothing - yet - can he still request a CCA and should he send this to BOTH Link and MBNA.

2. Can he still send an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to MBNA.

I can do the letters and send them on to him to deal with as necessary.

Anything I can pass on to him would be appreciated.

Thanks

Send the CCA request, including the £1.00 fee, in the first instance to the DCA who now has the account. They will either ask the OC for a copy of the document or reply to your friend saying for them to do it.

SAR - This needs to be sent to MBNA dont forget the £10.00 postal order :D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just an update;

I sent a letter yesterday by SPECIAL DELIVERY to Link Financial at;

89 Albert Embankment

SE1 7TP

I have just checked on the Royal Mail website; track & trace, which confirms that the letter has been delivered, but there is no signed receipt...yet.

Will check again tomorrow!

AC

AC, it can take up to 10 days for a signed receipt to show up. I print off the page that says it has been delivered, just in case I need to show in court in a hurry and just keep going back every now and again to see if a signature has been added. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the only way you are going to make Lambeth TS sit up and acknowledge there are more complaints than they are letting on is to do a group complaint.

I think RMW and Cornucopia have organised group complaints before. :)

BCOBS

I've made a small donation to this wonderful organisation, as per request above. Its not much, I could only afford 20 squid. Do you think that's OK

Mummybird

More than ok. :)

BCOBS

• 4 weeks later...

I guess you could ask Mr Gardner why the inconsistency ? :D

BCOBS

• 1 month later...
Happy New Year to everyone as well. I had a message on my answering machine over Xmas stating that my local TS (Caerphilly had washed their hands of the matter previously and said the harassment issue needed to be dealt with locally) stating that my complaint had been passed on direct to the OFT and the file has been closed, as my complaint is the only one they have received locally. I rang today and asked, why, when complaints have been received by Caerphilly and Lambeth, they do not liaise with these authorities and collate the number of reported complaints and act on them, which after all, is TS job. I was told there is nothing they can do other than report it to OFT. The TS officer did mention that Link's licence is up for renewal (which of course we know) and they will be looking at the complaints, so I just hope these have been passed on to OFT by Caerphilly and Lambeth also, as they seem to be constantly stating that they are not aware of any other complaints, which is a blatant lie. It would be great news wouldn't it if Link didn't get their licence renewed, I would absolutely love that. The five year olds will all be out of a job if that does happen! Magda

This is absolutely ridiculous, surely when a complaint is made locally, it is then passed on to the TS branch dealing with that company .. isnt it ??.

BCOBS

• 2 months later...
Approximately 18 months ago on a winters evening, one of my neighbours knocked on my door with a note in his hand.

He said somebody is trying to contact you, a friend, they have lost your telephone number, my neighbour then passed me the note:

"Angry Cat to call Alan on 020 7793 2683" (I kept the note for evidence)

Of course, I felt extremely embarassed as I knew who the caller was and I had only just moved in to my home!

Some time has passed since this event, but the feeling of embarassment and stress still haunts me...

There has been much correspondence between myself and Link Financial and recently I have been able to obtain copies of their

Activity and Memos Report;

Telephone Operators Notes;

Lo & Behold, the call made to my neighbour is clearly shown, correct date, operators ID number and a notation: result, neighbour.

So, now I have the note and the log to show the call was made.

I will be starting my own thread shortly.

AC

Hi AC, I have had several of these notes from Link, and I know exactly how you feel. I reported it to TS and they said it isn't harassment as they don't actually tell the person who they really are. I disagreed and said that they shouldn't be doing this at all and have absolutely no right to contact third parties to leave messages. The most annoying part of this is, that the first time it happened, I rang Link and they didn't even know why I had been asked to call! As usual though, TS are not even remotely interested. Will look out for your thread, Magda

So, what are TS saying here.. it is ok for Link to tell an outright lie by claiming to be a friend ??

BCOBS

So, what are TS saying here.. it is ok for Link to tell an outright lie by claiming to be a friend ??

Yes, apparently so, as long as they don't mention outright the name of their company and the real purpose of the call, it's absolutely fine!! beyond belief isn't it. Magda

Sheesh, as you say.. beyond belief.

BCOBS

Does anyone know if link can put the following on their website

If you are a new customer of Link and would like to settle your balance please call us on our freephone number 0800 064 44 99. We accept payment by credit card, debit card, cheque or bank transfer. Alternatively, you may wish to discuss secured loan or remortgage options with us.

As i didnt think they could offer additional borrowing/remortgage (advising to extend borrowing)

OFT guidelines say that you are not to be encouraged to take out further borrowing to pay off debt. Not in those words however. I will try and find the exact quote.

BCOBS

I['m waiting for them to post me a cd with all the names and addresses of all the debtors in the UK on it....;)

ALternatively you can probably find that in a coffee bar near to their office:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

BCOBS

• 3 weeks later...
Link have bought my car loan from GEMoney/CarCraft rip-off merchants so subbing with interest 8-)

ps. anybody know how long it normally takes to renew a licence? would have thought it was just a matter of a stamp on a certificate :)

AA, sorry I dont know the answer to this question. Or is there something I am missing :confused:

BCOBS

• 2 weeks later...

Dont you just love that statement at the bottom

"If you have a problem with your agreement, please try and resolve it with us in the first instance" :confused::D

BCOBS

as long as you change the date phatram :lol::lol:

BCOBS

and the fee is only £1.00

I think there are 2 different accounts, wouldnt the fee be applicable for each one ?

BCOBS

• 4 weeks later...

AHMTHSSN, I am assuming that as it says "moisten here to seal" then this was a mailer application form. In which case, I would think there would be little other than a return address and advertising on the back. So it doesnt look as though there are prescribed terms on your form.

BCOBS

Just thought I'd c&p that to fill you guys in on where I am.

Basically from that thread I was pointed over here and I've read this thread from beginning to end. A couple of things have flagged up though, I've received nothing from either Link or GE to tell me that the debt has been passed on. The first I knew of it was a phone call from Link.

Up until this saga I'd been quite co-operative with Link as the gentlemen who was dealing with my 'account' seemed to be quite sympathetic to my position, I'm not actually sure when the first phonecall was but it must have been sometime before Christmas and the bloke had managed to stall management on demanding some kind of payment till the last few weeks.

Now since the original post above on a different forum I've had the paperwork through from Barclays about the unauthorised payment, I'm now of the opinion though to claim for the £40 too since they didn't confirm they were taking either of them never mind both! :mad:

I've sent off a CCA request and from reading this thread I'm fully expecting the £1 to be added to my payments rather than used for its intended purpose. I'd just like to add aswell that the only mail I have had from Link is an I&E form in the 6 months or so that they've been calling me, which due to the gentleman dealing with my account has only been every 2 weeks or so.

So yeah, theres my story so far ladies and gentlemen.

Any advice?

If you start your own thread, then you will get plenty of advice specific to your own circumstances.:)

BCOBS

• 2 weeks later...

Off topic posts moved to the following thread as requested AC :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/200106-k-fraser-assoc-pj.html

If I missed any, please let me know.

BCOBS

Wouldn't worry about that, if you have proof of postage, I believe it would stand up in a court. Keep all these things to hand, including their envelopes...:)

I think so long as it hasnt been returned to the sender then it is assumed it has been delivered. A lot of these companies either dont sign or sign a block receipt, especially where PO boxes are concerend. It is very annoying when Royal Mail specifically suggest on their Recorded Delivery slips "Ideal for items that you might need to prove were received , like job applications or legal documents"

If they are not able to provide this service for PO boxes, then they should tell you at the PO counter IMHO.

I still have items showing on Track n Trace as not delivered when I have in fact had replies from companies :confused:

BCOBS

I have not been able to obtain electronic proof of deleivery for several of my Link RD letters?

I have complained to Royal Mail, all they say it that I must fill up a form, P98 I think.

What is the point of having RD, if delivery to 89 Albert Embankment is not recorded?

Special Delivery however is recorded.

AC

Sometimes AC. I get messages such as "We can confirm your item was delivered (Whenever)" but no signature available or " Your item was accepted at (name of post office) so according to that I can assume it is still waiting to be delivered ?

I have one SD addressed to a PO box for HSBC in September 2008.. that is, according to Royal Mail, still awaiting collection ?? what's that all about ??

BCOBS

It certainly doesn't make it any easier for us does it, if we are sending letters RD and still cannot be certain they have arrived. My RD letter (now 13 days since I sent it) is still showing on Royal Mail's website as "progressing through their Network" and according to Asset Link, they haven't received it. The replacement letter that I sent yesterday by SD (to the same address) had arrived though when I checked today, though signature is not available yet. All very strange.....

At least they have received the one you sent yesterday.

IMHO, I would complete the form for missing/lost mail and make a claim on it. It is relatively easy to do and whilst you might only get a book of stamps in compensation.. It is better than a kick in the teeth.:D

BCOBS

I think you can do it online, Magda

here

BCOBS

Recorded Delivery letters at £1.14 each, hardly fair that the consumer has to keep spending these amounts when sending letters to Link et al.

What can one do though, when it is likely that the DCA is question will most likely deny receipt of letters send by regular mail.

I personally, like many others have sent so many letters, the postal bill is astounding!

AC

Yes, I think we should take shares in the Post Office :D

Inputing 141 before the fax number should block them from finding your number and most fax machines can be adjusted so your number is not displayed on the fax sent.

Or you could put a message on the top or bottom (or both so they dont miss it) to imply that the fax machine is a public fax machine and as such no replies can be accepted.

BCOBS

Perhaps the greedy little turkeys only recognise cheques/postal orders by sight and can't read the accompanying letters....

Absolutely no offence was intended towards turkeys by this post:p

I am sure they wont take offence, as long as you vote to ban christmas;)

BCOBS

• 2 months later...

So, they cant ask a neighbour to pass on a message but they can ask a neighbour if they know where the alleged debtor is ?..

Scenario, Agent arrives at my door asking about a neighbour.

How are they going to approach this. In what capacity is the Agent going to represent themselves in order to obtain that information ?

Are they going to fib and say they are a friend / relative who has lost touch ?. My instict would be, if the neighbour had wanted to keep in touch they would have done so. So no information would be given.

They are not permitted to represent themselves in a legal capacity and even so, I would probably tell the agent to get lost.

BCOBS

by CitizenB:

Are they going to fib and say they are a friend / relative who has lost touch ?"

Well, this is exactly what Link Financial did in my case!

A Link Financial rep. by the name of Alan phoned one of my neigbours, pretending to be a friend who had lost contact and asked my neigbour to ask me to give Alan a ring. My neighbour came to my house one dark winters evening with a note in his hand, upon which was written; Please call Alan, the telephone number was Link Financial.

In fact, I had only just moved into my house and was extremely embarassed/concerned about this incident.

The ridiculous thing was that MBNA had sold my account to Link, whilst 'In Dispute';

MBNA knew of my whereabouts but clearly had not informed Link and;

all my mail was being re-directed to my new address.

This was not a case of an alleged debtor being traced, it was pure and simple intimidation and harassment.

How did I stop Link?

I instructed a solicitor and asserted my 'Rights';

TS did nothing to assist!

The moral of the story;

Link were flagrantly breaching the OFT guidleines and breaching legislation

AC

There isnt much one can say to that, is there ?

Presumably there is a reason for the existence of TS :confused:

BCOBS