• Tweets

• dunno you've not scanned up what you've had before how can we tell?  
    • Today , after a lotof years i recieved a letter from this lot. Very friendly, "Were writing to remind you that we havent had any contact from you in a while".  The velvet fist, followed by  a veiled threat to get their preferred debt collectors involved. Yep dead right. In 1992/3 I took out a Student load under duress from DHSS. uP TO 2000 I hadsucessfully gotten deferment on low income. But rarther thansign on as unemployed,I decided to be self employed. I applied and they asked for all sorts of documents. I obliged and then correspondance ceased from them, circa 2001. To date  I have had no correspondance from Student Loans. I was made  redundant in 2009 and  reached 65 in 2012 , at which age the loan should have been cancelled. Now ,today, 12 years on retirement and 11 ( at least years after last contact) I get a letter with veiled threats. Do I , as I smell a scam a) ignore it and hope that Erudio will think that this phishing attempt has failed or b) respond with a statute barred letter or c) remind them of legal terms that loan should be cancelled 12 years ago or d) combination of b) +c)      
    • But I'm not mixing and matching. Sure, when researching I do check multiple avenues, but when speaking, I will open a single post. The Fb post was made in March, it is now June, time has passed, and when the suggestion was made, no further information was given on how I should progress beyond "send a letter", which has meant that I've needed to start another stream - this one, but only after taking the time to research first.
    • hes not turning you away he is simply saying that you should stick to one channel of advice. he is perfectly happy with that channel being this forum, and he will help you   all he is saying, and I agree, is that you should stick to one help channel, not mix and match 3/4
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

serious breach of contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5738 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My employee has breached my contract and I need some advice please. I have received notice of a change of starting times, and have been given 4 weeks notice . My contract states that I must receive 13 weeks notice. The reason we have been giving for the short notice is that the buisness need to change it operating hours in order to satisfy customer demands, and considering the current climate worldwide we must accept the changes or we could go under. we have a union at work, but nobody is interested in the union specially considering the union rep has a cosy relationship with the Depot manager. The union rep says we have to accept the short amount of time given for the shift change. We think it is unfair that the union can make all the decision at are work, given that the union members only consist of about 10% of the workforce. Some of us are to start later on in the evening to early into the morning instead of a afternoon start.

Any advice would be gratefull I know I must put a greivance in against the breach of contract, but do not want to be seen as causing trouble, the D.M says if we are not happy we must not act as a group but go and see him 1 on 1. their is a lot of grumbling going on and nobody relish a meeting with the D.M. We are just over 2 weeks away from changing are start time and I know if I dont act soon it will be seen as an acceptance of the new terms of contract.

My employee has breached my contract and I need some advice please. I have received notice of a change of starting times, and have been given 4 weeks notice . My contract states that I must receive 13 weeks notice.

Hi Domyheadin

I presume you mean, "My employer....", a small but important distinction! You must have a dodgy keyboard like me!:wink:

In your case your employer has clearly breached their contract with you, as by having 13 weeks as an explicit written term of your CoE, to change this in 4, clearly breaches this. You now need to decide upon your response

The following is something I have posted previously regarding unilateral changes to employment contracts. This was never meant to be a precedent and I apologise, for errors, and to anyone who has already read this!

An employer should not 'all of a sudden ask employees to sign a new contract of employment and accept new terms and conditions'

An employment contract, is just like any other contract, not able to be changed unilaterally. Thus if one side, the employer, changes a fundamental term of the contract (e.g. hours per week), then this should only be done by mutual agreement with the other contracting party – the employee

Good practice is that the employee should have been consulted re the proposed changes, and in your case they have breached a explicit written term of your CoE by not doing this!

If a change is imposed,the employee has 3 options, to continue to work and say nothing, continue to work, but make it clear this was under protest, or resign and claim constructive dismissal, subject to the need to have first raised a grievance.

To reach a considered conclusion - employment contracts, length of service, staff handbook, custom & practice in the industry, the reason for the change, amount of consultation, minutes of consultation meetings - These would all be relevant in assessing chances of claiming constructive dismissal, and hence allowing you to evaluate your options - essentially - stay, go or raise a grievance.

If you are in a Union seek their advice or a CAB may help

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

tks elche , yes it was a keyboard error I dont want to resign and claim constructive dismissal I have bills to pay and as for the union lol what a joke they are, the union only makes up 10% of the workforce how can it be fair that they make and agree rules with the mangement.

what I am looking to do is put a greivance in and get all non union members to sign it just not sure as to what to write and legal implacations of what I am trying to do. Somebody said at work that if we can put a greivance in signed by everybody in the workplace then they cant make these changes

So let me get this right

You are prepared to see your bosses company fold (and put yourself out of a job) just because he has only given you 4 weeks notice instead of 13?

I think 13 is very generous and 4 more likely to be the norm

I know what i'd rather do, go to work at a different time!

I have to agree with CG to an extent here.

It is one thing sticking to the "letter of the law". However, if the employer is to be believed(which we will have to take what they say at face value here), then the company could go under if the changes are not adopted. If that is the case, pursuing this would be VERY silly.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

yeah tks all

Firstly there is no way the company is going under we make more money in 1 year than the rest of the chain put together ,, secondly the M.D. is being paid a huge bonus ...triple my salary to ensure this all goes smoothly and thirdly every time they have changed our contracts in the past (3 times now) we have been giving a cash incentive

So the story goes that the currernt M.D. reckons we are all **** in our department and he would happily replace us all but funny that every other department bar ours is getting a incentive to move times

No I dont want the company to go under but we all have rights in this country and I have worked hard for this company for a number of years

and surely it no concidence that in the last 3 yrs the M.D. has started to employ easter europeans only .

and here is a thought to chew over ,,, last year we broke all records in profit and the M.D. got bought a brand new Jaguar car , where as we got nothing not even a ty

I think you'll find this kind of thing happens in a lot of companies. The workers do the graft, and the management lick all the cream of the top and reap the rewards.

I can see both points of view, and i think to be fair, it would have been nicer of your bosses if they had called a meeting and explained first. But on the other hand, apart from the difference of nine weeks, will it make that much difference to you. By that i mean, will you have to sort childcare facilities etc out.

Is there only the one union you can join in your workplace.

Could you not call a meeting of all your fellow employees and see what the feeling is.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

yeah tks all

Firstly there is no way the company is going under we make more money in 1 year than the rest of the chain put together ,, secondly the M.D. is being paid a huge bonus ...triple my salary to ensure this all goes smoothly and thirdly every time they have changed our contracts in the past (3 times now) we have been giving a cash incentive

So the story goes that the currernt M.D. reckons we are all **** in our department and he would happily replace us all but funny that every other department bar ours is getting a incentive to move times

No I dont want the company to go under but we all have rights in this country and I have worked hard for this company for a number of years

and surely it no concidence that in the last 3 yrs the M.D. has started to employ easter europeans only .

and here is a thought to chew over ,,, last year we broke all records in profit and the M.D. got bought a brand new Jaguar car , where as we got nothing not even a ty

Have to say that making these sorts of comments wont help your case at all. What the MD earns or what car he drives is frankly irrelevant to your start and finish times.

Is there an actual reason why you dont want to change your shift pattern? From what you say, as per your contract, you'll have to change anyway, even if its in 13 weeks. It does come across unfortunately that youre bitter about some other factors and this has given you a reason to complain?