• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hi Action group people**won pre OFT**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My names Marcy

I heard about the consumer action group from the moneybox programme on BBC radio 4. Over the years I have been unimpressed by the huge charges my bank LloydsTSB has put to me. But I hope to change that. Thanks to CAG & your help.

Thanks

Hi Marcy

Welcome aboard and good luck - have a good read through the forum; there is a great FAQ's section and a step-by-step guide to claiming your bank charges back.

When you are ready, post in the Lloyds TSB section where you will get lots of help and support.

:)

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

• 2 months later...

July 2006

This is a warning to everyone. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!! Instead of a greedy rush to get my hands on my money back. (I've already spent the money in my mind) I read the CAG website properly, made notes & set up a new current account (this is what I am doing at the moment). When I have set up a new account will get all my bank statements from 1984.

After a drink with my sister, she pointed out that I would need to open an new account with a bank NOT connected with L-TSB & eventually the banks will close ranks & LOWER their charges to stop "all this carry on". Always the voice of reason my sister!

• 1 month later...

August 2006

Lloyds TSB reported half-year pre-tax profits of £1.78billion yesterday. The bank said the four per cent gain was in line with expectations. It came after a cost-cutting exercise that helped the group overcome a 20 per cent rise in provisions to cover bad debts. Chief executive Eric Daniels said: "We have made a good start to 2006".

03/08/06 - Metro newspaper.

I set up a new current account with Nationwide. I had to find another one & because of my bad debts Halifax rejected my application. Nationwide were the only ones to offer an account with a basic plastic card NOT visa. Got all my direct debits & pay moved. I wrote to LTSB for my bank statements to the London address registered post. P Berryman – Snr Mgr, Data Protection Dept, LloydsTSB, The Pentagon, 48 Chiswell St, London on 07/08/06 by registered post.

September 2006

Waiting, waiting, waited. In less than the forty days statements turned up on 05/09/06, but not all of them. Only up to 2000, I opened the account in 1984. I know The Data Protection Act was in 1998, but I wanted them all! It's disconcerting to look at your life through four years of statements. Spent some time with a highlighter on my statements. The total came to £1,096.01. I posted the prelim letter on 14/09/06.

Received letter dated 20 Sep from Sian Scrase – Customer services Officer

"Thank you for getting in touch with us. I am Sorry you are unhappy over your account charges. Like any busineess we do make a charge for some extra services… then she went on to say "We don't agree with OFT" Office of Fair Trading…. then they just enclosed a How to voice your concerns booklet.

October 2006

I posted Letter Before Action letter on 02/10/06.

Received letter dated 06 Oct from Sian Scrase – Customer services Officer

"Thank you for your letter dated 02 Oct. I have noted your comments, but unfortunaltely I cannot add any further info to my previous letters or agree to your request. Since the bank's final response has been issued, I must advise you that we will not be entering into any further correspondence regarding the points you have raised".

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

November 2006 cont.

Did some homework on starting a small claims case. Read up on the books in the local library. Had no spare cash for the Court fees, and a lot of personal problems, so it’s on hold.

December 2006

Still on hold, due to the expense of Christmas

January 2007

Still on hold, due to the expense of Christmas

February 2007

Still on hold, due to personal problems, and no money

March 2007

Sent another letter before action dated 05/03/07 to Lloyds TSB. Issued court papers, used a N1 form and used a Lloyds TSB cheque to pay the court fee £120.00. Courts wrote to me on 23/03/07 informing me that Lloyds TSB had filed a Defence.

April 2007

05/04/07 filled in an Allocation Questionnaire (paid £100) N149. S, C&M (Lloyds TSB’s solicitors) wrote to me on 05/04/07. The main point of their letter was that they would put the amount requested into my account; just sign & the form & it will all go away. Is it a trick? Didn’t sign & return the form.

May 2007

12/05/07 S, C& M wrote to me again. They said they hadn’t heard from me & took the step of putting it into my account anyway!!! Total claim: £1485.60 got £1485.60. will be giving CAG £74.28, 5% of the money.

******* I’VE WON ******

Wrote to S,C&M, again the letter was marked “strictly without prejudice, confidential and Privileged” saying that if they hadn’t received my letter before heres a copy. Also, I am advising the County Court that my claim has been settled. However I will be submitting an order for wasted costs against Lloyds TSB Bank plc.

Sent An Order for Costs against Lloyds TSB on 16/05/07. Total of £150 for all the letters; the fee for the Allocation Questionnaire and my time.

List of stuff used/my time:

Data protection letter posted £0.34 first class stamp £10.00 charge for data request. Preliminary letter posted £0.34 first class stamp

Letter before action letter posted £0.34 first class stamp

Court form posted £0.34 first class stamp

Allocation Questionnaire posted £0.34 first class stamp £100 fee

Letter to Lloyds TSB solicitors posted £0.34 first class stamp

Letter to Lloyds TSB solicitors again posted £0.34 first class stamp

Time spent on preparing case 3 hours at £10.00 an hour total £30.00

Grand total £142.38

Lloyds TSB wrote to me to inform me that they had “resolved the complaint”.

June 2007

Got a letter from the Judge saying NO to the Order for Costs. His tone was you got what you asked for.

THE END