First time Motability

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5789 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I have been recieving the higher end of DLA for many years but only recieved money for this as I had nobody in the family who could drive, until now. My 17 year old grandson has now completed his test and I have agreed to let him drive my car on motability however there are a few things I am unsure about. It says in the car hire scheme that insurance and tax is fully paid for, but tells you to consider the car size as insuarance prices will rise as the car size does, if this is fully paid why do they warn you about this? Also it says my grandson would be limited to cars in groupd 8 or below of the ABI table which I think is a very good idea but I am not sure what these cars would be when I actually went to a showroom. It also says that you have to arrange insurance with your dealer but I was udner the impression that motability sorted all your insurance and tax out for you. I was just wondering what exactly happens due with sinurance when you apply for a car using motability, I know excess will rise but does my grandson have to actually pay insurance due to his young age? Thanks in advance.

Your grandson will be restricted in the grouping of cars he is covered to drive. The cost is born by the motorbility people but only upto the level of your entitilement. Insurance on ANY 17 year name is expensive and all new drivers have to pay very high premiums. The other thing is I believe, (you would need to check this out) that the whole motorbility package is set up for you and may not include provision for the personal use of a third party, only for errands/transport for yourself. your grandson may need to be insured in his own right for his own use. If you go and have a chat to a motorbility car dealer, they should be able to put you straight.