• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Questions from : Have you received threatening demands for debts older than 6 years?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2794 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i hope i am wrong but i think my point might be worth noting on this thread

although there are clearly more than 12 years since you last had any contact with the mortgagor, i presume the mortgage was in joint names

now if your EX has had dealings with the bank within the last 12 years

she may have "dropped you in it"

i say this because you are both jointly and severally liable for the debt and i have this feeling that if ONE OF YOU admits or makes payments to the debt then it probably will be a joint and several liability

perhaps might be worth getting legal advice on this point unless someone has a definative answer from a legal background

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just received a letter from buchanan clark +wells re an alleged debt dating some 12 yrs ago. A ccj was obtained but defaulted on after only a few payments were made and certainly nothing in the past 11yrs has either been paid, or any contact written or otherwise has been made.

Does this come within the statute barred regs, even after the ccj??

Advise would be gratefully received.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

ccj's last ad infinitum however if no action is taken for 6 years the creditor must apply for leave of the court to enforce .

it is worth checking the register yourself to see if it still exists because if it does not then the only record will be yours and the creditors copies of the judgement and after all this time it could be a bluff- someone could have bought a load of debts without the proper docs

diddydicky,

Thank you for your swift input, I think the prove it letter would be a good start.

Thinking back I seem to remember these are the fourth or fifth set of begging letters that I have received from dcas and sols.

I think it is passing down the gutter awaiting the desperate grasps of the dcas, I could just ignore what do you think??

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

not a good idea to ignore it if a ccj is in existence since it could lead to a charging order application

i think id be inclined to play dumb and write and say i don't know what your'e talking about, kindly send me a copy of this alleged ccj

Hi Odc A Bit Of Advise On This One Please Basically Had A Peronal Loan With Alliance And Leciester In 1999 Hit Hard Times In 2001 And I De Faulted On Payments In 2003 They Sold The Loan To Teressa Holdings Who Over The Last 6 Years Put The Debt Out To Various Debt Collecting Companys I Have Not Made A Payment Since 2001 In November 2007 Terssa Holdings Give The Debt To The Biggest Scumbags Of All Mackenzie Hall But Thanks To The Sound Advice Of The Consumer Forum They Have Now Threw The Towel In The Company Who Are Dealing With It Now Is Rockwell Debt Collectors Who Go Down The Same Lines As Muppet Hall Court Action Balliffs Etc But Ive Just Found Out Rockwell Are Part Of The Teressa Holdings Group What Is Baffling Me As Teressa Holdings Have Held This Debt For 6 Years Why Haven T They Just Took Me To County Court And Got A County Court Judgement Against Me ???

probably becuase they know its statute barred

you need to check carefully your last payment and/or written communication with them and if there is more than 6 years unbroken you can tell them in polite terms of course to take a long walk off a short peir!

also if its over 6 years and details have fell off your credit file,

and been removed from central court records,the dca needs original court details to apply.

and they will only be given permission within 6 calendar months of the date that they purchased the debt.

SAM:pLOWELL DETESTER

and. if i have been reading correctly on this forum- if the ccj is assigned to someone else you should have been given the opportunity to challenge it and i think i am right in saying that this also gives you another opportunity to challenge the original debt(might need to check that out with some of the mods)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I think it is.

Basically they have told me, via a doorstep caller, that they do not believe that previous tenant has moved out. Bearing in mind they are accusing me of be a 50 year old male when i am clearly female and 28 years old.

I keep sending letter back and they ignore them. ometimes they are without envelopes and other times open when they come threw the door.

you need to change your name to the God Daughter!!

• 1 month later...
I have just received a letter from a firm called activ kapital, they say they have been trying to contact me at a previous address and have been told i no longer live there and have found my present address via public info, they quote an agreement number which means nothing to me and no other info at all, i rang the number on the letter and had to leave a msg on answerphone as nobody was available, i have said that i got the letter and gave the ref number and asked what address they had been trying to contact me at, and that i had no knowledge of any such agreement, i am waiting to hear back from them, i have lived at my present home for 7 and a half years and this is the first i have heard from them, i really dont know of any such agreement, has anybody else had this happen? i find it worrying, i have just found out that i am bipolar and am feeling quite ill with stress due to other issues and i dont need this adding to them. Any advice would be very welcome.

quite often a fishing trip- just confirm that you are not who they seek and refuse to give any other information as to who you are

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just thought I'd post an update on the problem my daughter had with Roxburghe. They sent her two threatening letters before she decided to write to them. She sent her first reply by email and followed it up with a recorded delivery letter.

She modified the template letter from this site, including some of her questions and details, pointing out the Limitations Act 1980 (the alleged debt was from eight years ago) and informing them she had been in contact with United Utilities. She received a letter back from them which said:

"Thank you for your communication and we have noted your comments upon your account.

We confirm that all further collection activity has been suspended whilst we take our client's further instructions.

We shall write again as soon as possible."

I'm quietly confident that we probably won't hear anything more from them. But if we do I know I can come here for sympathy.

Thanks to all who gave advice and thanks for the template letter. :)

it's a load of B***s**t to make it LOOK LIKE they have investigated- they will come back

• 2 months later...

if you made this arrangement with CCCS the first port of call is to contact CCCS and ask for evidence and an explanation if you can get their support for your proposition that it was understood that interest was being frozen you will be in a good place to start with

acknowledging that there is "a claim" is irrelevant provided that the communication says that "the claim" referred to is denied

it would be unusual indeed if someone received notice of a "claim" , of which he knew nothing and did not seek to find out or clarify what this "claim" was in respect of

therefore an acknowledgment of a "claim" in itself- if that acknowledgement is a query about, or denial of any liability would not be an admission of the indebtedness.

i think you are taking the letter of the law too literally

if no payment has been made and the debtor has not ADMITTED that the debt (whether he states the amount ) is owed then that is sufficient IMO

• 2 weeks later...

hiding your present address is neither a good move or necessary, indeed it could present a problem as they may (or may already have) obtain a ccj against you at one of the previous addresses.

You need to "come out" as you put it and face this head on and you will find that it is easy with the help of folk on here

the creditors and their lacky's stock in trade is "fear" - you can eliminate this weapon by facing up to the situation.

i would work on May 2004 to be on the safe side in respect of SB t

However, given that you are so close to where you want to be I would suggest letting sleeping dogs lie until JUNE this year and then a snail mail request to all three CRA's disclosing your new address and find out what is on your files .

• 2 weeks later...

CCCS being funded by the credit card companies- now why is that a surprise?

the real lowdown is that IF you have not made a payment to the account NOR admitted responsibility for the debt for 6 years then it will be SB

it makes not a jot of difference how many letters the creditor sends to you or if they tried to find you

the ONLY action the creditor can take to stop the clock is to issue a court claim against you

as soon as this is filed the clock will stop

it is your responsibility to keep your creditors informed of your whereabouts, so if you have not informed them of any change of address they are entitled to use your last known address

if however you have proof that they were advised of your new address (i guess that would only be acceptable to a court in writing- or perhaps letters from them to you at your new address) then any service to a previous address would clearly not be acceptable and any ccj so obtained could be set aside.

in short- moonlight flits can do more harm than good

i'm sorry but the responsibility is yours!

if you entered into a contract or agreement with someone and you then move or become of no fixed abode, the responsibility for providing a contact address is yours and an e mail address is not acceptable.

indeed you are probably in breach of most agreements by not doing so.

the other party to the contract, in the absence of a proper address by which they can contact you (your responsibility to provide) is entitled to regard your last known address as sufficient for service

the forum is really about giving advice to deal with debt problems- not, with respect, to finding ways to avoid your responsibilites

i'm sorry but the responsibility is yours!

if you entered into a contract or agreement with someone and you then move or become of no fixed abode, the responsibility for providing a contact address is yours and an e mail address is not acceptable.

indeed you are probably in breach of most agreements by not doing so.

the other party to the contract, in the absence of a proper address by which they can contact you (your responsibility to provide) is entitled to regard your last known address as sufficient for service

the forum is really about giving advice to deal with debt problems- not, with respect, to finding ways to avoid your responsibilities

so they just have to file a claim to stop the clock?

Don't they have to get judgement?

In that case they could file a claim and not bother with the process , forcing you to pay and file for a Strike out?

you would not have to pay for a strike out- if they fail to answer your defence within 28 days their claimed would be stayed by the court

just think yourself lucky that they have less brain cells than you do!:D

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2794 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks