style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've had a hand delivered letter from a chap from Chandlers. The case dates back to last year's Council Tax. They called and left a standard letter. I paid the amount outstanding directly to the council who obviously have not told chandlers.

I did not pay the fee for the visit. I spoke to the bailiff this morning and he phoned the council who said it had been paid. He is still asking for some £85 including £24.50 admin fee(!?) plus some other costs. My question is what can he legally ask for? What powers does he have to enforce it. He has listed my car for removal with a "Notice of distress & Inventory" - can this be enforced for Chandlers charges?

He said he will call later today.

I've had a hand delivered letter from a chap from Chandlers. The case dates back to last year's Council Tax. They called and left a standard letter. I paid the amount outstanding directly to the council who obviously have not told chandlers.

I did not pay the fee for the visit. I spoke to the bailiff this morning and he phoned the council who said it had been paid. He is still asking for some £85 including £24.50 admin fee(!?) plus some other costs. My question is what can he legally ask for? What powers does he have to enforce it. He has listed my car for removal with a "Notice of distress & Inventory" - can this be enforced for Chandlers charges?

He said he will call later today. I have spoken to the council who seem to think it's all above board!

Two threads merged.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Two threads merged.

Please keep to one thread per claim

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Once a Council has been granted a Liability Order, this then enables the council to PASS the debt to a bailiff to enforce. The bailiff is then entitled to charge his fees ON TOP of the debt owed. If however you then decide to pay the council direct......many councils then credit the payment TO THE CURRENT YEAR'S ACCOUNT. There is nothing to stop them doing this.....and we have seen this happens SO MANY TIMES. Therefore if you, or anyone else for that matter recommonds paying the council online INSTEAD of the bailiffs you should insist that they first get the agreement of the council to do this or at least to get a receipt that shows clearly that the payment has been correctly credited to the right year.

A way to avoid this is to send the payment instead to the bailiff company with a letter to say that you are enclosing the payment in Full & Final Settlement of the Liability Order and their fees and include with the payment either an amount of £24.50 plus vat for a first visit or an additional amount of £18.00 plus vat if they have visited twice.

Enclose with your payment a letter to say why you are paying the sum enclosed and copy it to the council.

Um -- I'm slightly worried now, as I've been paying the council direct. I asked the council in a letter for any sums surplus to this year's CTax bill to be credited to last year's account (the one in arrears), and I informed the bliff co. of what was happening. The council have said in a letter that they've credited my first payment to last year's account, but then they've gone onto tell me that I've got to pay the bailiffs direct. Just before I got that letter I paid the council 200 more squid, and although it's gonna make me quite skint I'm going to pay 200 more tomorrow. Then I'll only owe the minimal amount of around 100.

I don't know if it's the case yet, but if they HAVE credited it to the wrong account (ie this year's instead of last) then SURELY if the account for this year is 400 in credit it would look rather churlish of them to refuse to transfer it to the account in arrears ?? Can they legally refuse to transfer it?