• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

My Claim Against Yorkshire Bank **SETTLED IN FULL**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi again, here's what a few of the other Mods reckoned:

Hope this helps! - It would appear that Robertcx & SpiceSkull are your best bets for any further help on this!

Well, I was in a good mood this morning until I read this, now I'm in a very good mood!

I find this sort of thing very uplifting.

Before I came here, I used to find banks intimidating, now I question everything they do.

And with good reason because they are at best incompetent. At worst, maliciously devious.

Talk about feeling empowered! :D

19/6/06 Data Protection Act letter sent recorded delivery.

27/6/06 Confirmation of receipt from Clydesdale Bank. Awaiting statements.

7/7/06 Statements arrived in the post - all 3 accounts as requested. (This took 18 days in total).

10/07/06 3 accounts - £898.00 excluding interest of £216.61 - Prelim letter posted by recorded delivery.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You think that any claims put in the future we, we should add account holders, just to be sure ?

Spanish Holiday Rental - 10% off BAG and CAG Members

www.rent-in-spain.org.uk

Progress so far:

Yorkshire Bank - LBA 26/07/06 £1001.00 - £500.50 offered and rejected

RBS Credit Card - Settled £200.00

Sainsburys - Settled in full £100.00

JD WIlliams - Settled in full £50.00

Argos Card Services - £98 - offered £60 and rejected.

Abbey Mortgages - MCOL 2nd October - Deadline 21st

You think that any claims put in the future we, we should add account holders, just to be sure ?

Going by Trunny's experience, I would say it would be a good idea, just to cover all bases. It certainly can't hurt anything can it, and it will be one less reason for YB to slow things down.

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

Get a copy of YB's AQ. They've ticked "yes" to the question about postponing the case for 1 month to try & settle.

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

Oh & by the way. I'm not riting to give them permission to change their defence. If they want to mess about they can pay for the priveledge. I don't think any judge would hold that against me after all the going's on & stalling attempts I've had off them.

Well done trunny. What difference does their defence make if they've requested a month to settle?

Yorkshire Bank £4697 Settled in full:D

Bank of Ireland Mortgages £1055 + Interests + costs Settled in full

MSDW £495 Settled in full

Ok, here's the latest.

I have sent a letter to YB basically saying:

We did not respond to your recent letter regarding your change of defence as we do not want to be involved in your wasting the courts time because:

a. We cannot see the relevance of CPR 19.3 to this matter.

b. Yorkshire Bank are very aware the account was in joint names & would no doubt exercise the right to pursue either of us as individuals should the situation have ever arisen. Due to this we do not see the logic or justice in insisting any claim against yourselves be in joint names.

c. In any case, form N244 has been submitted to include Mr Hubby.

In your allocation questionnaire you have responded “Yes” to question A regarding a 1 month stay to attempt to settle the claim. Should the court grant this stay we shall be writing to object & request the stay be removed on the grounds you have had the opportunity to attempt to settle since the first request for refund dated 20 May. We have been fair, reasonable & open with you and have on numerous occasions invited dialog regarding settling this matter without the need for court action.

Once again, we are open to any attempt to resolve this dispute by other methods but be in no doubt that should needs be, we are very well prepared & more than willing to face you in court.

I have a problem though..... & it's a biggie......

I'm sat here in front of form N244 (to put hubby on the claim) & I don't have a blooming clue what to do. I can usually find my way around most things but this has me completely stumped :( If I can't get any advice on here I'm going to have to go to a solicitor & get them to help me with this as even though it's short, I honestly don't know where to start or what to do.

I have had a quick search for you hun as short on time at the moment. Take a look in the Abbey forum at Lostinparadise thread who has/had similar problems. Advice there might help you. If not put N244 in search and see what comes up.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks Caro but no-one has used an N244 to add a claimant yet (as far as I can see from searching).

Going to the CAB today with my N244. I'm sure it's easy when you know how but I just don't know which box to tick.

Hi,

If YB insist on you submitting an N244 to have your hubby included in the claim, make sure your application includes a request that the costs of making the application are borne by the defendant.

The bank may try and argue that by not including hubby in your original claim, it is your mistake.

I had a similar problem with YB around 3 years ago, the Bank claimed my husband should be named as a joint claimant(Unfortunately on this occasion they were right)The Judge gave me permission to make amendments to my original claim, but ordered that the costs in relation to the amendments were borne by the claimant (me)

Why not just go straight to the court for advice Trunny?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a court date!

Mon 4 Sep

this is good news for 3 reasons:

1. A court date at last!

2. YB asked for a 1 month stay on the AQ, the judge has refused them.

3. YB asked for the case to be struck off on their AQ due to it only being in my name & the account is in joint names with hubby - the judge hasn't struck it off.

I have to get all my paperwork into court for 21 Aug. Any help as to what I should be sending in would be appreciated.

Here we go!!!! :D

Hi Trundlecat !

Atlast there is some light at the end of the tunnel. I`ve been following your progress for a good while now. I really do believe that the pleasure would be so much more if you actually got to face them in court, even though we all know that is highly unlikely. Anyway best of luck and enjoy your day when it arrives, sooner the better. :D

YB Data Protection Act letter sent recorded post 14-7-06

statements recieved 8-08-06

prelim letter sent 9-08-06

LBA letter sent 26-08-06

MCOL filed 18-09-06

AQ Filed 6-11-06

Court date 22-2-07

Great stuff, looks like the first claim against YB is going to be settled imminently - or are they going to be arrogant enough to actually go to court and argue their case?

Reading their defences I somehow doubt that!

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

fantastic news, not long either

Halifax Credit Card - £408.16 - Settled in FULL 26/6/06

Halifax Loans - £397.97 - Settled in FULL 25/8/06

GE Money Topman £216.75 - SETTLED IN FULL

Marbles LBA - £475.00 - £250 Offered :rolleyes:

Halifax Current Account LBA - SETTLED IN FULL

Yorkshire Bank Current Accounts £2271.77 - Issued 30/6/06 - Default Judgement Issued - Warrant of Execution Requested

Capital One - LBA - £88 Knocked of Balance

Egg PPI - LBA

Hey Trunny

Great news!!!

Regarding collating your defence, from what I have gathered from other threads/other banks the following would be expected:

1. Copies of all correspondence between yourself and the bank in time order

2. Schedule of charges (the spreadsheet with interest basically)

3. Copies of legislation i.e. Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regs etc - see the Library

4. Copy of Terms & Conditions - so you can prove that you have broken your contract with the Bank and therefore the charges are a penalty for breaking said contract

5. Copy of the OFT report - downloadable off their website

6. Anything else you can think of that would help your case

Im just prepping my evidence for my Mum's case against LTSB - albeit not until 27th September, I am getting ready in advance so if you need any help give me a shout.

I have been involved with a number of Employment Tribunals through my job, and would suggest that the correct etiquette would be to gather all your information, and then numebr each piece of evidence i.e. initial letter - number 1, initial fob off letter - number 2 etc etc, and then create a cover sheet listing all documentation, this will also help you should this come to Court.

Also, for ease on your copy and also the copy submitted to the Court I would suggest highlighting the relevant paragraphs/points in the legislation/letters etc on which you will be relying.

Hope this helps

Rachel

Doing this on behalf of my lovely Mum!!

LTSB No1 - £200+£31.70+£30 = £261.70 COURT DATE SET 8TH NOVEMBER 2006

LTSB No2 - £423 +£124.16+£80 = £627.16 DEFAULT JUDGEMENT GRANTED DUE TO NO SHOW FROM LTSB

Yorkshire - £498+£102.64+£80 = £680.64 COURT DATE TO BE ADVISED - ALLOCATED TO SMALL CLAIMS TRACK

Citi - £1600+£361.46+£120 = £2081.46 CHEQUE RECEIVED F&F SETTLEMENT 07.06.06

Trundlecat,

Just two more things worth adding to your list.......

Don't forget the transcript of the Peter McNamara interview in 2004 and an audio copy of the interview on CD as well.(they're in the library somewhere I think)

You can then stick them up the YB's you know where!

Good Luck

Maroonfox5

Halifax Bank plc £1573 settled 19/6/ 06 :D

Abbey National PLC

Settled in full £1,754 15/9/06 :grin:

Halifax Credit Card £441.63 settled in full 27/10/06 :-)

Mortgage Express ERP

Pre letter 10/7/06

LBA 27/7/06

MCOL issued 6/9/06

Court Date Feb 06

Lost in court costs awarded £7,500PAYPAL [email protected]

Thanks Maroonfox5!

I knew there must have been some reason why I woke up at 5am this morning & it was obviously cos I had to download the McNamara stuff.

All done now. Just have to put them all in a folder after work & trott through to court with them.

Shouldn't that be 'Trundle' through to court :-)

All the best

MF5

Abbey National PLC

Mortgage Express ERP

Pre letter 10/7/06

LBA 27/7/06

MCOL issued 6/9/06

Court Date Feb 06

Nah, only cats are allowed to trundle ;)

Well, that's that. Delivered by hand this aft. They'd just closed for the day but it's still gone through their letterbox before the deadline. Thank god that's out of the way.

Trundlecat.....

EDITED

NUFF SAID

Abbey National PLC

Mortgage Express ERP

Pre letter 10/7/06

LBA 27/7/06

MCOL issued 6/9/06

Court Date Feb 06

Hi Trundlecat,Hi Maroonfox5......

I am in exactly the same situation one account in my name and one joint account.So far yb have offered me half of the 400 i am claiming for the joint account and sfa for my account.Have just completed an online moneyclaim for the joint account and was bout to submit it when i saw this post.Any help/advice would be appreciated(post double hijacked sorry:-| )

Julian + Lisa :):p

This is pretty much unknown ground at the moment. YB altered their defence to have the case struck off & they also requested it on their AQ. However, I sent a letter in to court which was put with my AQ & the letter I received from the court stated that the Judge had considered everything on the AQ’s & decided the case would go ahead. I know this is no guarantee that when in court (if it happens) YB won’t argue again but the worst that can happen is that the case is adjourned & I’ll have to enter the N244 form to have hubby put on their as a joint claimant.

YB are saying CPR 3.4(2) says claims must be in both names but CPR 3.4(2) is specifically to do with insurance claims & so has no real relevance to these cases so they’re clutching at straws. In addition to pointing this out, my letter argued that when joint accounts default YB reserves the right to pursue the account holders as individuals (in cases of divorce or separation) so them asking for any action that’s taken against them to be in joint names isn’t a fair term & appears no-where in their T&C’s. Having it both ways in their favour simply isn’t natural justice.

So, it’s really up to you. Maroonfox5, if you’ve already done your claim I’d be inclined to wait & see if I’m told by the Judge that my hubby has to be included & if he does amend your claim. Julian & Lisa, if you haven’t done MCOL yet then I’d be inclined to do it in joint names just to be on the safe side.

Hope that helps, sorry I don’t have a black & white answer,

TC

thanks for that trundlecat , i have not submitted the online moneyclaim as i went down to the local county court today , they were very helpful and i came away wit about 6 N1 forms and every pamphlet i could carry (they kept giving me them by the time i`ve read them all i will have a law degree lol)

N1 is completed (thanks for the help from jonni2bad too and bankfodder for the templates/hard copy) am submitting it with copies of summaries of charges etc friday AM . will keep everyone upto speed thanks again

Julian and Lisa

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks