• Tweets

• Even a Piers Morgan is an improvement and a gutless Farage Piers Morgan calls for second Brexit referendum WWW.THELONDONECONOMIC.COM Piers Morgan and Nigel Farage have faced off over Brexit and a second referendum in a heated reunion on BBC Question Time.   “Why don’t we have another referendum about Brexit?” he questioned. “I seem to remember when 2016 came around we were told there was going to be control of our borders and it was going to be economically beneficial to this country. And eight years later we have lost complete control of our borders… and economically it seems to have been a wilful act of self-harm.”   ... Piers missed off : after all somebody said a 48/52 decision would be "unfinished business" by a long way - was that person just bul lying (again)  
    • when did they (who) inform you there was a 'police case' and when was this attained? i will guess the debt is now SB'd as it's UAE 15yrs. have you informed the bsnk ever by email/letter of your correct and current address? you can always ignore anyone else accept the bank,  Block and bounce back all emails. Block any text messages  Ignore any letters unless it's: - a Statutory Demand - a Letter Of Claim - a Court Claimform via Northants bulk.  
    • I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
    • The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HSBC rip off charges Help Please !!

MIKEY DABODEE
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5017 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya Mikey, and welcome to the HSBC forum :).

you need to start a claim to recover your bank charges and I suggest you go for everything they have charged you in the last six years while your at it :).

Read the frequently asked questions and the step by step guide at the top of the site and start to write the letters to recover your charges.

If you have any problems or queries just post it here and one of us will be along to give you a hand.

Good luck

pete

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya mike, its really up to you how you handle your overdraft. If you can afford to pay the charges then you wont get any more charges on top in a snowball effect :rolleyes: and it will keep the bank happy and their phone puppies off your back :rolleyes: but whether you clear your account down or not you should get everything back when this mess is all over.

pete

Many people have tried to work out a reasonable solution with not just HSBC and failed. I think its because there is no longer any real bank managers at branch level, there is no one who you can talk to who can agree anything :rolleyes:

pete

Hiya Mike, if you look in the templates library there are two spreadsheets, the simple and the advanced, as the names suggest one is simple (ish) and the other needs a bit more time to check its right but we can help there :rolleyes:

The simple spreadsheet just calculates the charges the bank has taken from you and adds them all up, the third page adds the 8% County Courts Act section 69 interest which you don't need to worry about until if/when you send your claim off to the court :)

The advanced spreadsheet calculates the charges deducted and adds a proportion of the interest you have been charged against those charges... again page 3 deals with the S69CCA interest :)

you choice which one you use, do you just want your money back or do you want to make them bleed a little too? :grin:

pete

Hiya Mike, if your first claim has been submitted to the court and been stayed then start a new claim from the end of the one you have already done.

If you have not sent your claim to the county court yet just update your figures to include the new charges and send it to HSBC again :).

You can change your figures, add new charges, correct errors etc etc to the point you send it to the court, once you have done that its "cast in stone" and will cost you more court fees to alter it.

pete

• 2 weeks later...
what I am trying to do is get account frozen to stop even more OD charges been shoved on, and pay bit off each month to clear it

original OD was £500 most of that charges I owe about £250 of that, now over £800 with all charges/interest etc

and cant afford to clear it all

think was told Customer Credit team to contact

Hiya Mike, I doubt very much if HSBC will agree to anything along these lines, they are more likely to offer you a managed loan WHICH YOU SHOULD REFUSE because it will be horrendously expensive and mean you will be in debt for a long time.

I think most people end up opening a new account with another bank to handle their day to day finances and once your claim is underway your account will be in dispute and HSBC can do very little legally to recover anything until your dispute is sorted and you get your charges back. while this is happening you can pay what you can afford into the account to reduce the debt you actually owe them.

pete

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Once you have disputed your account and that includes asking for your penalty charges back they should not pass your account to a collection agent without first sorting out your complaint.

They may try passing you to their in house collection puppy, Metropolitan, who do use their own letter head to fool everyone but to all intents and purposes are just a division of HSBC, they are located in the same building as DG Solicitors and going by their email addresses ([email protected]) they even have exactly the same computer set up as your branch does :rolleyes:. Once you tell Metro the account is in dispute they normally leave you alone again :)

Do you know how long it takes to read a 119 page legal document properly? :D heres a post I made earlier

I've only scan read the judgment so far but from what I saw the banks have until the 22nd May to decide what they are going to do next, the overall judgment is what we wanted but there is a lot in the detail the banks could use in the next round of the court case.

The stays will defiantly stay in place during this period, after that I think it really depends on the banks decision.

My own personal opinion is sooner or later all the banks will have to adopt a European style charging system of a few pence per transaction for everyone and the "free banking" marketing myth will be killed once and for all.

How and when the banks decide to come clean and pay up is up to them but they will be looking for the cheapest way out, from their actions to date they arn't worried about moral issues or their public image :-|.

pete

Hiya Mike, they are bound by the banking code which states they cannot pass a debt in dispute to a collection agent until they have resolved your dispute. Even so they might try but it will get passed back to them when you tell the DCA the accounts in dispute :).

A managed loan basically means you pay a small amount to them every month for many years and the amount you pay back in total doubles... in other words its a life sentence to debt :eek: DO NOT TOUCH ONE WITH A BARGE POLE

pete

Hiya Mike, well at least the second letter confirms your account is in dispute :) and yes your new schedule will be the one that counts.

yes the new templates have been posted

Subject to that verification, we will explore with you what we may be able to do to assist. This will include considering whether all or any current debt be rescheduled or whether alternative borrowing arrangements could be put in place. The fact that you have incurred overdraft charges and claiming a refund of these charges will form part of our overall assessment {as will other relevant factors} but our focus will be on considering we may be able to do to assist, not solly considering refunding charges as you have requested

This is the standard wording they send to you before they offer a managed loan :rolleyes: is the sum of your charges more than the total debt?

I would complete the review sheet but also include a copy of your schedule of charges with a balance figure of what you owe less the charges and confirm the payment offer you have already made to them.

Regarding the phone calls, when you get fed up with having fun with them :D there is a harassment template letter which you can send that should stop them phoning you :).

Thats the one RDM :D

pete

• 2 weeks later...

It means no change for us for the time being :| however this is obviously concerning HH Justice Smith and therefor probably a good many judges will have the same opinion that this could take longer than necessary.

I think this is an indication that the high court is starting to realise there is a danger that they are just being used by the banks to delay things, a very similar point of view many county court judges have in our own claims.

pete

Edited by Castlebest