3 months to have a turbo fitted & now they've broken my bmw!!!

trunk69
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5902 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

3 months ago i took my bmw into a garage to have a new turbo fitted. They had the car for a few weeks and kept saying it would be ready soon. Then before xmas i was told that the engine had been damaged (something to do with the timing chain), there was valve damage etc and it would need the cylinder head removing to check the damage. At 1st they said it was their fault but then changed it to it wasn't actually their fault but as it had been in their possession at the time they would repair the damage at their expense.

3 weeks later i finally got informed it would need a new cylinder head which they were organising. Every week since i have been told it would be ready, then each week there is a new problem (computer management system, injectors, high pressure........).

This week i have now been told that they didn't actually change the head (even tough he told me face to face several weeks ago that the new reconditioned head was arriving that afternoon) but instead have replaced the whole engine.

The car is still not working and quite frankly i do not want it back as it is a different car now! My service history means nothing and i don't have the confidence after so long in the garage that it won't break down in the very near future.

Does anybody know if i have a case to take the garage to court?

Yes and with a hugh chance of success as well.

The old engine, if it has indeed been changed, (check the number), is your property so ask for it back. Any bits that are changed (even down to the old oil filter and dirty oil) always remain your property and you are entitled to have them returned to you.

Before embarking on the court route, write to them (recorded delivery) and tell them you will be collecting the car in 7 days, complete with the original engine.

You will need the car so that you can compile documentation with exactly what they have or haven't done and how much it will cost to put right, you will need these figures for your court claim.

Tell them that if the car is not running that you will take it to another garage to be fixed and will be sending them the bill.

Do you have a garage or driveway where you can park it?

Three months is a stupid amount of time, so take no nonsense from them and no more excuses, on the seventh day have a tow truck go and collect the car, you will be reclaiming the cost from them later.

Hi

I am new to this so here goes.

I have a 318d on a 04 plate that has engine problems, I thought the big end were rattling due to the oil going missing over night so I purchased a new engine and fitted it but the new one is worse than the old one and also smokes badly. I have checked and there is oil coming out of the turbo but when I disconnected the turbo from the inlet manifold and ran the engine it still smoked and rattled:evil:. I am at my witts end.

I am being told that no one recognises a 318d so am strugling to get a quote for a turbo.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks Phil.