• Tweets

• Hi. I am reading through the full thread and will continue to research. I have come across a reference to a form called N180 DQ in the thread, but I cannot see any reference to this form in my case nor can I see it on the MoneyClaim website. Should I have been sent this form? Thanks 
    • 12mph (beyond any UK limit) will certainly qualify for a Fixed Penalty. So you should received an offer of a FP for each of the remaining two offences. Be sure to submit your licence details as instructed when you accept the offer. If you don't your £100 will be returned to you and the police will prosecute you in court.
    • and it will be also now written off under age related criteria anyway.
    • @dx100ukThanks for this! I'm still not clear if I'm facing more than 6 points on my license though. Can you explain any further please? When I accept the 2nd speeding ticket, will they just charge me £100 and 3 points, or will they be more severe consequences since that offense took place the following day of the 1st offense? Similarly, when I accept the 3rd offense, will they look at my record or just charge me with the £100 fine and 3 points? @Man in the middleI've been searching the forum and you seem very knowledgeable. Would you mind giving a look at my query please? Thanks in advance!!
    • Yes of course. That's why it says cc:: BIg Motoring World at the bottom. Don't imagine that this solves the issue. It doesn't. He not have to force the finance company and big motoring world to accept the rejection to give your money back. I suggest that you get the letter off tomorrow. And let us know what you hear but on Friday you should then send a threat to the finance company.   Have a look what I have said here about your options and read the whole thread as well.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5800 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have recently received a court summons for unpaid council tax arrears, and immediately contacted the council to negotiate a monthly payment scheme as the amount they were asking for is too high to pay in one go.

They have said that they will send out a budget planning form, fair enough. But then they went on to mention court costs. Would these be recoverable under the same principle as bank charges?

Also, we live in 91a of a split house. i.e. we live in the top half, someone else lives in the bottom. Does anyone know if we should be receiving a discount because our property is split?

Thanks,

Jase.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Not sure if I'm posting in the correct section but I couldn't find one for council tax.....

My flatmate and myself have today received a letter through the post after a knock at the door from a firm called CCS Enforcement Services Ltd, threatening to take our possessions away until we pay the outstanding arrears on the council tax...we obviously didn't answer the door as it was early in the morning.

The letter says that he will keep calling early morning, night and on a Saturday.

I'd really love some advice on what to do? There is a number, which I intend on ringing, but I need to know what my rights are regarding my possessions.....surely he'd need a court order prior to seizing of our property? and we haven't been to court or anything, and this is the first time I've heard from this firm.

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to move you to the Bailiffs Forum where you should receive advice on your situation.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thread moved :)

surely he'd need a court order prior to seizing of our property?

Of course he would. Can you give us some more background on how this has ended up with bailiffs please?

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi,

Your guess is as good as mine????

One minute we're discussing our situation with the Council and the next we receive a "visit"...

The situation is that I moved in around 3 months after my flatmate had been living there. He'd broken up with his girlfriend, so I moved in to help pay with the rent, but the council tax had obviously fallen in arrears during the interim period.

I would have thought there should be a need for a court order or something, or even a court date....?

JASE 1982

In the first instance could you send me by private message ONLY the name of the bailiff that left the letter. He should have left his name on the letter. If not, you need to telephone CCS to ask the name of the baiiff who has been given your account.

They need a liability order before they can enforce council tax, i guarantee they will have one, whether you were aware of it or not. Their computer system wouldnt allow them to issue the charge to the bailiff without one apart from anything else.

First off forget the bailiff, get on the phone to the Council, unlike the bailiff they will discuss the case with you and if they can offer any assistance they probably will.

If they are of no help phone your local CAB.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Firstly I'm sure the advice required here will be very familiar to many....

I've had a letter through from CCS Enforcement Services Ltd today with regards to unpaid council tax....we have fallen behind slightly, mainly due to loss of employment and change of circumstance...

The letter, which I believe is scaremongering, goes along the lines of, they will be attending our property on or before the 4th March....That confuses me because underneath it says that they are entitled to remove goods in our absence, and that they would prefer us to be present so that we can personally agree the inventory of chattels seized...The part that confuses me is how do I know when they will be attending so that I can be present?

Could I please have some advice on what to do with this?

The letter states that the liability order was issued 9th July 2007, yet this letter is only dated 27th February 2008....How has it taken a year for them to contact us? and I have no recollection of attending court or recieving a court summonce...surely I would remember??!

Any advice would be greately appreciated.

Guest Screw The Bailiff
Hi all,

Firstly I'm sure the advice required here will be very familiar to many....

I've had a letter through from CCS Enforcement Services Ltd today with regards to unpaid council tax....we have fallen behind slightly, mainly due to loss of employment and change of circumstance....

Make a claim for council tax benefit, that'll stop the debt mounting.

The letter, which I believe is scaremongering, goes along the lines of, they will be attending our property on or before the 4th March....That confuses me because underneath it says that they are entitled to remove goods in our absence,

Technically they can remove goods in your absence, they can take a car they think belongs to you provided they leave a receipt and copy of the warrant. They cannot clamp your car on a public road - Statute of Marlborough.

and that they would prefer us to be present so that we can personally agree the inventory of chattels seized...The part that confuses me is how do I know when they will be attending so that I can be present?

You are right, its scaremongering, they won't break & enter otherwise they'll be criminally liable, but DO NOT open the door to them - ALWAYS speak to them through the letter box or through a window. If the bailiff places his foot into your door then you cannot close it on him. Keep windows and doors secure until this matter is resolved. More

Could I please have some advice on what to do with this?

If you know the bailiffs name, then check his credentials - report back if you find an irregularity & we'll advise on further options.

The letter states that the liability order was issued 9th July 2007, yet this letter is only dated 27th February 2008....How has it taken a year for them to contact us? and I have no recollection of attending court or recieving a court summonce...surely I would remember??!

Any advice would be greately appreciated.

The rules a council must follow when enforcing payment of council tax is legislated in the The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 and the schedule of bailiffs fees can be found in Regulation 45(2)(b). From memory I dont know what time limits apply between LO being granted and date of enforcement, I'm told it might be 120 days, have a look through the regs.

If you weren't summonsed to appear before the court for the application of the liability order, then phone the council and tell them to revoke it because they failed to adhere to Section 34 of the Regulations. If you are fobbed off with excuses then file a complaint of misfeasance with the LGO.

The good news is we don't own anything of actual value....Our TV is currently suffering from 'sound' problems, so I would class as being faulty, the 2nd TV is about 5 years old, and we don't anything else in the flat.....although they could take the stero I suppose, they might get a fiver for it.

Guest Screw The Bailiff

The perception of bailiffs as men in suits clearing out the house of all your gear is urban myth. That may have happened in the 1950's when chattels had monetary value. Todays flat-pack furniture and cheap consumer electronics are worthless on the 2nd hand market. Bailiffs will try and gain entry but only to come into physical contact with an item of you furniture inside - this lets them add the walking possessions fee to the bill.

A bailiff will want you to pay as much as you can and get as much fees possible. If you have no money then he'll look for a car, they are saleable and bailiffs can bump up the fees with transport costs. No money, no car and no goods and the debt is returned nulla bona.

• 5 months later...

No you can't recover the costs and they are taken before any ct arrears are taken.

If it is two seperate addresses and shown at the Post Office and on the electoral roll as such then no, but you could be in the wrong banding.

Only because I saw it in the Bear Garden saying you had unanswered posts.

I would have answered last year if I had seen it then.

How did it go by the way?

That just made my day. I did wonder, when I saw a response after a year.

We ended up asking for a longer time to repay the money in at a more affordable rate. However, we moved out recently, so still owe the council a sum of money. They will have to get in the que. I was made redundant 6 months ago, and I've only just found work.

Thanks again for the response!