Andy Wade vs. Yorkshire Bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6519 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd update you all on what I'm doing.

Last Monday (19th June 2006) I sent off the Data Protection Act request letter to Yorkshire Bank, and enclosed a cheque payable to them for £10.00. I sent this by recorded delivery.

They haven't deducted the £10.00 from my account yet.

I'm going to write to them and ask what is happening if I haven't heard anything by the end of this week.

Andy.

19/6/06 Data Protection Act letter sent recorded delivery.

27/6/06 Confirmation of receipt from Clydesdale Bank. Awaiting statements.

7/7/06 Statements arrived in the post - all 3 accounts as requested. (This took 18 days in total).

10/07/06 3 accounts - £898.00 excluding interest of £216.61 - Prelim letter posted by recorded delivery.

Hi Andy thanks for the update. I shouldn't worry if you don't hear anything for a while as they are allowed 40 days, and some of them take it right to the wire. They are pretty busy at the moment you know.;)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Andy & welcome.

If you want to get hold of your statements that bit quicker phone your branch every morning & when they arrive go in & collect them rather than wait for them to be sent from branch to Network Support then sent to you ;-)

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

Hi Folks,

Got this letter back from the Clydesdale bank today.

Pretty much as expected. I'm glad to be getting this started. Can't wait to get the highlighter pens out. :D

Andy.

Clydesdale Bank

Network Support

Glasgow.

27th June 2006.

Dear Mr Wade,

We refer to your letter requesting information blah blah... DPA... blah blah... and note that you have paid the £10.00 fee.

We confirm that we shall be able to provide you with copies of your bank statements covering 6 years under the right of access under the DPA 1998.

Within the terms of the act we have 40 days... blah blah.

We also note your request for disclosure of data relating to manual intervention on your account. This is not data which you are entitled to under a data subject access request and accordingly no such disclosure will be made.

We will forward the information to you as soon as possible, should you require any further assistance please contact your branch.

Yours Sincerely

(Name withheld)

Network Support.

7/7/06 Statements arrived in the post - all 3 accounts as requested. (This took 18 days in total).

10/07/06 3 accounts - £898.00 excluding interest of £216.61 - Prelim letter posted by recorded delivery.

The cheque for the DPA request has finally been cashed today.

Andy.

The cheque for the Data Protection Act request has finally been cashed today.

Andy

I'd have been tempted to cancel it as soon as the statements arrived.! :p

Good luck Andy - keep us posted

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

The cheque for the Data Protection Act request has finally been cashed today.

Andy.

They acknowledged your letter on 27th though, so they clearly had your cheque then. 40 days from 27th June.:wink:

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

They acknowledged your letter on 27th though, so they clearly had your cheque then. 40 days from 27th June.:wink:

Thanks for your replies guys.

I've been wondering about this one actually. I did send the DPA letter by Recorded delivery, so I know they had it one day after I posted it on the 19th June.

Technically the 40 days should start on the 20th June, but I'm not sure about it.

Just because they took one week to reply doesn't mean that it starts on the 27th does it?

I mean they don't run things now do they? They have to comply with the law don't they?

This is unusual for me, bl**dy banks having to do as they are told, it's a great (but very new) feeling! :D

I'm going to write to them over this weekend and request information as to where the statements will be delivered, I'm assuming it will be my Shipley branch. I'm avoiding phoning them as I haven't any way to record the conversation.

When I get the YB statements, I'm going after my Lloyds TSB Mastercard charges....

In fact I'd better be looking into a parachute account (or three) soon. I'm may be going to sack YB when I get my money back.

What I can't understand is that massive companies like Sainsbury's and other supermarkets will gladly give me points for being a loyal customer, but YB saw fit to credit score me when I wanted to open another account, and I've been with them since May 1975, probably longer than the age of the lass who did the credit score. Cheeky b*st*rds.They just don't get it do they?

Imagine if they actually saw the light and started to treat loyal customers with the respect they deserve, just think of the nectar points I'd have for 30 odd years loyal service!

I might be able to afford to pay their extortionate charges :rolleyes:

This whole situation is one of their making and I'd love to see them all go under.

Why is it when I go to look for another account with a different bank, that I know I'll actually be looking for the least crappy one rather than the best one? There isn't a 'best' bank, they're all equally crap.

End rant, and rest. Aaaahhh , it's Friday tomorrow. :-)

Hi Andy -

Just having a nosey at your post, and wanted to stick my oar in....far be it from me to tell you what to do with your bank accounts,I've also opened a parachute account, but where credit references are concearned - the longer you have been with a bank, the more brownie points you will get credit score wise, and after reclaiming your charges, the bank is basically saying "these charges are our fault" so you can write off to equifax or experian and have them change any black marks against you regarding your bank account to "bank's fault" all you have to do is provide them with a copy of your settlement letter :D

For further advice on opening a "not so crap" bank account, No-one so far has posted a "my bank is brilliant" webpage, so I took the liberty of looking at the different forums, and noted which banks had the highest scores of replies...Then chose the one with the lowest that was local to my area - In my case, the RBS, so I openend an account online - and let them send me the forms - that way I didnt have to go out of my way to physically get out of bed, go down there, and all that blardy blah that goes along with it.....I've decided I will never ponder to a banks will again - if they want me - they'll have to make an effort first! :D

Also, with regards to recording phone calls, you can do this from a mobile - you dont have to physically be using your mobile to record a call, however - if you are in Scotland - Recording phone calls is regarded as entrapment, which is illegal in Scotland - so you'd have to inform them you are recording the call - however, if you just want to keep it for personal use as a way of remembering what they say and so on....then shh...dont tell em! :cool:

Best of luck

Yvonne (Sounding like a advice columnist LOL)

October 2006 - Full amount claimed from CB current account.

November 2006 - Letter recieved from CB mastercard saying beat it - all the charges were applied correctly.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I've been wondering about this one actually. I did send the Data Protection Act letter by Recorded delivery, so I know they had it one day after I posted it on the 19th June.

Technically the 40 days should start on the 20th June, but I'm not sure about it.

Just because they took one week to reply doesn't mean that it starts on the 27th does it?

I mean they don't run things now do they? They have to comply with the law don't they?

This is unusual for me, bl**dy banks having to do as they are told, it's a great (but very new) feeling! :D

I'm going to write to them over this weekend and request information as to where the statements will be delivered, I'm assuming it will be my Shipley branch. I'm avoiding phoning them as I haven't any way to record the conversation.

You are right, 20th it is. My statements were sent to my home, but I gather some people have collected theirs from the branch. I don't think getting defaults removed from your credit file is as simple as that going on many peoples experiences in this forum though.

Hi Everyone.

I'd like to add this paragraph to my preliminary letter but wanted to ask what people thought first?

"Furthermore I note that the £50.00 overdraft limit to my current account no. XXXXXXXXXX was apparently removed without notice to myself, in October 2004 and you then proceeded to charge me for going over a zero balance on four occasions since then. On one of these occasions you charged me what appears to be an arbritrary figure of £20.00 monthly charges for going overdrawn by the sum of 75 pence, which I find to be outrageous".

I've tried to find a reason that they might have removed the overdraft limit but am completely stumped.

One one occasion only, prior to the removal of the £50.00 overdraft limit, I went over this limit with a total debit balance of £50.98.

Surely this wouldn't have prompted them to remove a £50.00 overdraft limit?

And there's also the matter of not notifiying me of this at all.

I'm really puzzled and angry about that. :? :evil:

Andy.

I would be inclined to keep to the standard prelim letter to get things going. I would suggest you send another letter regarding this issue as a follow up to your SAR - (Subject Access Request). Something along the lines that you would have expected some documentation regarding the removal of the overdraft, which would not be shown on your statements. Would they please forward any additional information available. If they don't provide it do an LBA of the ICO kind, and if nothing then, contact the Information Commissioners Office.