• Tweets

• Oh I see! thats confusing, for some reason the terms and conditions that Evri posted in that threads witness statement are slightly different than the t&cs on packlinks website. Their one says enter into a contract with the transport agency, but the website one says enter into a contract with paclink. via website: (c) Each User will enter into a contract with Packlink for the delivery of its Goods through the chosen Transport Agency. via evri witness statement in that thread: (c) Each User shall then enter into its own contract with the chosen Transport Agency. Packlink does not have any control over, and disclaims all liability that may arise in contracts between a User and a Transport Agency I read your post at #251, so I should use the second one (and changing the screenshot in the court bundle), since I am saying I have a contract with Evri? Is that correct EDIT: Oh I understand the rest of your conversation. you're saying if I was to do this i would have to fully adjust my ws to use the consumer rights act instead of rights of third parties. In that case should I just edit the terms and stick with the third parties plan?. And potentially if needed just bring up the CRA in the hearing, as you guys did in that thread  
    • First, those are the wrong terms,  read posts 240-250 of the thread ive linked to Second donough v stevenson should be more expanded. You should make refernece to the three fold duty of care test as well. Use below as guidance: The Defendant failed its duty of care to the Claimant. As found in Donoghue v Stevenson negligence is distinct and separate to any breach of contract. Furthermore, as held in the same case there need not be a contract between the Claimant and the Defendant for a duty to be established, which in the case of the Claimant on this occasion is the Defendant’s duty of care to the Claimant’s parcel whilst it is in their possession. By losing the Claimant’s parcel the Defendant has acted negligently and breached this duty of care. As such the Claimant avers that even if it is found that the Defendant not be liable in other ways, by means of breach of contract, should the court find there is no contract between Claimant and Defendant, the Claimant would still have rise to a claim on the grounds of the Defendant’s negligence and breach of duty of care to his parcel whilst it was in the Defendant’s possession, as there need not be a contract to give rise to a claim for breach of duty of care.  The court’s attention is further drawn to Caparo Industries plc v Dickman (1990), 2 AC 605 in which a three fold test was used to determine if a duty of care existed. The test required that: (i) Harm must be a reasonably foreseeable result of the defendant’s conduct; (ii) A relationship of proximity must exist and (iii) It must be fair, just and reasonable to impose liability.  
    • Thank you. here's the changes I made 1) removed indexed statement of truth 2) added donough v Stevenson in paragraph 40, just under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 paragraph about reasonable care and skill. i'm assuming this is a good place for it? 3) reworded paragraph 16 (now paragraph 12), and moved the t&cs paragraphs below it then. unless I understood you wrong it seems to fit well. or did you want me to remove the t&cs paragraphs entirely? attached is the updated draft, and thanks again for the help. WS and court bundle-1 fourth draft redacted.pdf
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

A bah-humbug of such proportions I had to give it its own thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6150 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So I'm pottering in the kitchen, washing-up, and I have Virgin Radio on, as I sometimes do. They start a competition for best travel tips, best 3 will get a holiday to either New Zealand, Australia or Miami (so not a dummy prize, as you can see).

We get the usual, you know, when chatting up girls in Thailand, check for the Adam's apple, don't enter drinking competitions with the locals, etc...

Then this MORON comes on air, and says: "Take a walking stick with you, this way, you get through check-in first, you get given seats, and all that"... :shock:

Well, I am barely catching my breath to yell at the radio (I do that a lot), but then the DJ goes on and on how BRILLIANT the idea is, and hails the guy as some kind of genius, laughing and joking about it. :eek:

I have, for the 1st time in my life, actually contacted a radio station and sent a stinking e-mail, which went like this:

Hi, Christian.

I am DISGUSTED that you have just hailed as a genius someone who is basically using the disabled for his own advantage. With this kind of loathsome advise being bandied about, how long before the genuinely disabled have to go through rigorous tests before they are allowed through, thereby negating the so far fairly informal way?

I can't believe that Virgin Radio and yourself are prepared to encourage and spread this kind of exploitation of the disabled. Here, there's a good tip, get a labrador and a white stick, you might get into cinemas free! :-(

In all fairness, I got a very quick reply:

Marie

Your quite right. Thinking it through right now its not very fair and I can only say sorry. I honestly meant no offence and it was live where sometimes we dont have the benefit of thinking through fully what we are saying

It doesn't happen too often, no excuse though and sorry to have caused you some offence this morning

Thanks for contacting me shame it had to be about this

Christian

It would have been nice if he'd also apologised on air, but there you are. :-(

Since then, I have been fuming over the incident, and I just needed to let off steam, hence this post.

One of the great things about the non-official world is that if you have a disability, there is a certain leeway granted you, you don't have -usually- to always carry proof, apart for paying.

For example, Disneyworld used to let disabled kids and their carers get to the head of the queue, which parents of autistic kids will tell you is a great blessing. Unfortunately, so many morons like the one described above took advantage of it, bringing wheelchairs so that they could jump the queue (I kid you not) that they no longer do that. Thanks, chumps.

As many of you will know, my youngest son has Asperger's Syndrome. Until I realised that I could get him boarded ahead of the crowds, air travel was a nightmare and we had all but given up on it. Thanks to the informal attitude of the airlines, this has changed, I can go to the desk and explain the situation, and they put us in the priority boarding category, so we don't have to stand in the crowded queue being jostled by all, and can sit in somewhere quiet to keep him as stress-free as possible. If you think that this is only of benefit to him and us, think again. You don't want an AS kid in stress mode on the flight, take it from me.

I am very grateful to these companies which are not jobsworths and make our lives that little bit easier. I wish the world wasn't full of idiots who think that they can try to abuse this privilege for their own selfish ends. :evil:

*AND breathe*.

I know what you mean. I think its also disgusting that people have the nerve to park in a disability bay, when you can see that they are able bodied. This also happens when people park in bays for parents with children, you see two people get out the car, with no children in sight.

I think its also disgusting that people have the nerve to park in a disability bay, when you can see that they are able bodied.

What happens if there are NO spaces available except spaces reserved for the handicapped?

I personally have no problem using these spaces if there is nothing else available, as i believe (particularly if you have to pay for the privelage anyway) that these spaces are more of a courtesy than a right.

Bookworm, i personally believe you have over reacted to the callers suggestions. This guys ideas are like something from a chevy chase film, and not to be condoned (in real life), but i still cant see why you took such offence, sounds like it was just a bit of banter.. .. .. .. .............

i am not having a go, or trying to be controversial, just my opinion

Guest Tulipdaffodil
I think its also disgusting that people have the nerve to park in a disability bay, when you can see that they are able bodied.

Being entitled to a disabled badge/bay doesn't necessarily mean NOT being able bodied.

Guest louis wu

It doesn't take much to rattle my cage, and this one has done the trick.

How typical of the selfish 'I'm more important than everyone else' brigade, to feign a disability in order to get one up on the rest of us. This is extreme, but I hope that idiot on the radio gets some rare, incurable, bone wasting disease that causes great pain and restricts him from ever taking a holiday again (Yes it is OTT, but it's great to imagine getting his wish....no offence to anyone with ancurable bone wasting disease BTW, so don't all jump on me).

Bookworm, I remember seeing the looks on the kids faces when the were allowed join queues at Disneyland. Some people moaned, and others took advantage with the wheelchair idea (don't get me started on that one), and forgot that everything takes longer with a disabled child, and this small gesture made a lot of difference to what the rest of us just take for granted.

Disabled parking bays.....yes theres always a ready made excuse, but there is always somewhere else to park. I suppose it up to your own conscience if you want to park there or not...but again selfishness just rules for some people.

Well done for contacting the radio station, and letting them know that most people still value good honest standards of behaviour, it's just a shame that a few brainless individuals (although the number is growing alarmingly) seem to think that everything should be set up for thier own personal convenience.

Don't tempt providence!

One day, YOU might be in a position of genuinely needing to use disabled parking spaces. You may well find that they have all been used by able-bodied people.

You might, then, think back and ponder......

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Guest louis wu
Don't tempt providence!

One day, YOU might be in a position of genuinely needing to use disabled parking spaces. You may well find that they have all been used by able-bodied people.

You might, then, think back and ponder......

I think thats called poetic justice:)

Bookworm, i personally believe you have over reacted to the callers suggestions. This guys ideas are like something from a chevy chase film, and not to be condoned (in real life), but i still cant see why you took such offence, sounds like it was just a bit of banter.. .. .. .. .............

Banter? The guy won an expensive holiday on the back of that "banter"!

If that is not condoning it, I don't know what is!

Over-reacted? No, I don't think so. Over-reacting would have been putting the guy in a wheelchair for 6 months to show him what it is like.

If you can't see why I took affence, it's because you haven't had to deal with this kind of things. I am 100% certain that the day this kind of misfortune happens to you or one of yours, things will become very clear all of a sudden.

I am 100% certain that the day this kind of misfortune happens to you or one of yours, things will become very clear all of a sudden.

You seem helluva sure something is going to happen to me, or my family?

You have also presumed because of my opinion, that i (or mine) dont have hardship to deal with for one reason or another?. FYI i am in the process of having access built at my back door, so that my sister in law, who was knocked down by a drunk taxi driver at 4 years of age, can visit her 2 niece.

I know exactly what it means to live with highly dependant family.

Does it change my point of view? No. Do i freak out if i see someone 'abuse' a space reserved for blue badge holders? No. Do i take offence at jokes about mentally or physically challanged people? No. The same way i dont take offence at a paddy and mick joke, or a scotsman and englishman and an irishman... .. ...

Yet again, political correctness has taken over, someone cant make a joke to win a competition, in case it offends someone else?? Get off your high horse and live and let live. If you dont like it, switch to Radio 2

My mother is disabled through a serious asthma condition amongst other things ( but doesnt need a stick. not yet anyway), and my missus's relative walks with two sticks, and yes i totally agree. There are enough scroungers and rip off merchants and the " i'm alright jack" brigade in this country. Genuine people find it hard enough to get what's rightfully theirs as it is witout people abusing it just to get better treated.

WELL DONE BOOKWORM ! :D

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

When I used to accompany my mother who had had a severe stroke and was therefore wheelchair bound (sadly no longer with us) we used to feel a little guilty and embarrassed that we had preferential treatment because of her disability.

I'm sure other disabled people and disabled helpers feel the same to some extent, it tends to draw attention to the fact of the disability that I'm sure all disabled people wish they didnt have.

pete

Stevo, it has nothing to do with the PC brigade and everything to do with trying to make people who cant get around as well as we do, a bit more comfortable.

Bookie, i heard it to and admit that i was a bit taken aback, so i switched over to Nick Ferrari lol

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Stevo, it has nothing to do with the PC brigade and everything to do with trying to make people who cant get around as well as we do, a bit more comfortable.

You've missed the point lula, my point was i thought bookie had over reacted, some clown on the radio comes up with a spoof idea to win a holiday, big deal!?

I think Steve, that if you knew Bookies personal situation, you might feel a little differently, in the grand scheme of things, a prat winning a holiday for coming up with a pathetic idea just doesnt warrant mentioning but when someone has personal experinces then it hits home with a thump.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

You seem helluva sure something is going to happen to me, or my family?

You have also presumed because of my opinion, that i (or mine) dont have hardship to deal with for one reason or another?. FYI i am in the process of having access built at my back door, so that my sister in law, who was knocked down by a drunk taxi driver at 4 years of age, can visit her 2 niece.

I know exactly what it means to live with highly dependant family.

Does it change my point of view? No. Do i freak out if i see someone 'abuse' a space reserved for blue badge holders? No. Do i take offence at jokes about mentally or physically challanged people? No. The same way i dont take offence at a paddy and mick joke, or a scotsman and englishman and an irishman... .. ...

Yet again, political correctness has taken over, someone cant make a joke to win a competition, in case it offends someone else?? Get off your high horse and live and let live. If you dont like it, switch to Radio 2

Sorry for making the wrong assumption. The "I'm all right, Jack" mentality is usually only to be found in those who don't have personal experience of living with disability.

It has NOTHING to do with PCness, although since PC is being blamed for everything the moment someone tries to get out of the knuckle-dragging attitude, why not add that, hey?

You are also making the mother of all assumptions. Let me tell you know: This guy was not making a joke. Believe me, don't believe me, I don't really give a toss, to be honest. I know what I heard, and since I know myself to have a fairly well-tuned sense of humour, if it had been a joke, I would have known it.

The 2nd assumption you are making is that my main objection is to the moron. Wrong again. My main objection is to one of the biggest radio stations condoning and endorsing this type of behaviour. Giving the guy the prize and hailing him a genius was doing precisely that.

{The 2nd assumption you are making is that my main objection is to the moron. Wrong again. My main objection is to one of the biggest radio stations condoning and endorsing this type of behaviour. Giving the guy the prize and hailing him a genius was doing precisely that.)

I'm with you on that one BW, he should never have won a prize at all, let alone a luxury holiday!