construction work: advice PLEASE!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6055 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A question:

When we moved into our flat six months ago, neither the estate agent nor the landlord mentioned that the house in front of ours would be demolished in seven months' time, and that we would have a huge building site right opposite our flat (about 2metres away) for 50 weeks. Must have slipped their minds, I suppose.

The owner of the house next door told us that he had informed our landlord about this already one year ago!

We are incredibly angry and feel so helpless...who wants to move into a place just to move out again after six months (with a heavy piano and everything), we feel cheated and we'd like to know whether it should have been the agent's and/or landlord's duty to inform us about such huge future construction work.

Please could anyone advise us? We'd really appreciate it...we'd like to know whether we have any rights or not.

Thanks a lot,

pepino

Unfortunately, they have no obligation to inform you I'm afraid. Unfortunately, this can happen to anyone, renting or purchasing - the property next door to mine is having major renovations, majorly disruptive. I can only advise that it is "one of those things".

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

First of all, as Mr Shed rightly says, there is no reason to inform you, they may not have known, it's not their construction work after all.

Secondly, If it's 2 metres away, I'd check the plans at the local planning office, to make sure they're building in the right place. (Has happened before, believe me ;)) just to be on the safe side.