• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Hearing to remove stay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There you go penfold :)

Thanks pete :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

by the way guys, do i need to file and serve a skeleton arguement to set aside the stay for a postponed hearing? Surely the last one still applies? Besides according to the judge the stay has expired anyway and this hearing is for whether a new one should be put in place. Given it has taken so long and I never had my hearing for this, can I ask for my application fee money back? No application now as the stay has expired? Just a thought...

Prabs

Why not just ring the court and ask them prabs........? :)

They're usually pretty helpful - and it could save them time too if they can use the old one .

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

OFT pressurised over bank charges

By Ian Pollock

Personal finance reporter, BBC News, High Court

999999.gif

_44679103_highcourtbbc226.jpg The High Court has been the seen of the latest legal battle

A High Court judge has told the Office of Fair Trading to reveal when it will decide if bank charges are fair or not.

Mr Justice Andrew Smith made his comments as he granted eight banks leave to appeal against his earlier ruling on the issue.

Last month he decided that the OFT had the power under consumer contract regulations to rule if bank overdraft charges were unfair.

Thousands of bank customers will have to wait for their cases to be heard.

'On hold'

An agreement between the OFT and the banks to use the courts to resolve the legal issues at stake has seen all current and new claims put on hold.

It is thought that there could be tens of thousands of bank customers waiting to see if they can pursue their claims.

o.gifstart_quote_rb.gif We are facing a lot of litigants who have not had their claims struck out and who should be in a position to pursue their claims end_quote_rb.gif

Justice Andrew Smith

The appeal by the banks against the OFTs jurisdiction in this matter is likely to be held by the Court of Appeal this autumn.

The Judge said uncertainty about the length of the OFT's investigation risked being unfair to people whose refund claims are currently suspended in the courts.

"How long should we hold up the county court litigation?" he asked. "Are we talking months, years or weeks?"

"We are facing a lot of litigants who have not had their claims struck out and who should be in a position to pursue their claims."

When asked if the OFT would conclude its investigation this year, the regulator's QC said he did not know.

"The investigation is ongoing and substantial further work and consultation with the banks has still to be undertaken," he said. He explained that recent changes to the terms and conditions of some banks' current accounts had extended the timescale for the OFT investigation. The OFT has been investigating the fairness of bank charges for more than a year.

So in English where does this leave us?

;) up the creek ...........without a paddle ? the oft should pull their fingers out and get on with it.no more delays,stalling.put up or pay up............................................lets get on with our lives.!!

Well that is the point the Judge is making, the OFT were supposed to be acting in our interest, yet now it appears they are dettering our interest....Maybe we should all start emailing the OFT and complain at the time this is taking....Any views?

I think you are right prabs, the OFT are dragging their heels on this:mad:

they should have been ready to run with this as soon as the judgement fell in their favour.....

They have been saying for years that these charges are 'unlawful' - they must have had concrete evidence to support that before they took on the 'Test Case' - so how much more

"ongoing and substantial further work and consultation with the banks has still to be undertaken,

do they need .

This is beginning to look like a cosmetic exercise on behalf of OFT:( - I hope it's not , because given the strenth of feeling in these forums and generally from those with stayed claims, it'll come back to bite them in the bum............:)

I'll be interested to see pete's slant on this.......... he's usually such a serene diplomatic fellow........ ;) laffin!!:)

Edited by johnnymitch

Nemo me impune lacessit

I'll be interested to see pete's slant on this.......... he's usually such a serene diplomatic fellow........ ;) laffin!!:)

Moi? :o I don't know what you mean :D

I'm a bit disappointed the OFT haven't appealed against the common law ruling in the first instance judgment but they have legal minds far superior to mine (I hope :rolleyes:).

The time scale of things is obviously concerning HH Justice Smith and therefor probably a good many other judges will have the same opinion that this could take longer than necessary.

I think this is an indication that the high court is starting to realise there is a danger that they are just being used by the banks to delay things, a very similar point of view many county court judges have in our own claims.

I think this is very significant though, quoted from the OFT's press release after Thursdays management hearing.

There will be a further hearing on 7, 8 9 July 2008 to determine whether the relevant terms in the Banks basic and historic personal current account contracts can also be assessed for fairness under the UTCCRs and whether they are capable of being penalties at common law.

These are the account agreements that most of our claims are based on, prior to the banks all trying to alter their terms and conditions last year before the test case was announced.

Again we wait and see :rolleyes:

pete

While the banks continue to duck & weave and use the courts to prevaricate.......... :mad:

Thanks pete....... ever the master of the understatement (Laffin) -

oui, tu.. mon ami .........:D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Have a look at freaky's new thread prabs, pete has given his initial reaction to it as well............ a case of:) or:confused: or:( ???????LOL!

Nemo me impune lacessit

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys the expected happened...

Went in and Lady Judge was there, without going into too much detail she firstly did not understand the claim (Bless her) and in fact the DG Barrister helped her (and me indirectly) to make her understand.

She listened to my arguements and asked about hardship and evidence of this, she asked about the default and read fully the bit I have writeen about the Berhens case. Then she basically said the High Court judgment was regarding defaults and adverse post the stay which was not in my case, in fact the default was pretty much nothing to do with the bank charges case at all...ouch!

She said stay maintained until 30 September and this would be better for me in the long run anyway! OK Ma'am...

I asked about costs because of the wasted hearing and delays she said it is not normally given at this stage, but she would allow costs to be reserved upon final judgment, so I guess that is good for me...

Anyway when I left the barrister said I should take a seperate action against HSBC regarding the default under DPA...LOL I was thinking the very same myself and he seemed a decent chap really...

So wait another 3 months to see what the OFT can come up with...

Penfold

Well at least you tried Penfold. good practice for your hearing, eventualy LOL. I had more or less same result with good advice from dj after hearing

Edited by stonedecroze
spelling

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales

Well at least you tried Penfold. good practice for your hearing, eventualy LOL. I had more or less same result with good advice from dj after hearing

Yup I agree....do you think any of us will actually get there....I doubt it very much and OFT and the Banks will thrash out something no doubt....

• 2 years later...

Well it has been a long long time since I have been on here...

So has there been any movement on the stays being lifted or any new angle since 2008? I have not heard a peek from the Court or DG and am wondering if my case is even still in the Courts... Any ideas anyone?

• 1 year later...

Prabs,

What happened ? did you just forget it in the end.

I issued a claim and it was stayed, haven't to this day heard anything else.

Is it still in the system waiting for me to wake it up.

Has anyone won their charges back since the high court joke, I know it was suggested to approach from a different angle by the court, but they gave up.