• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Littlewoods-unable to comply with SAR due to high demand!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I sent a SAR letter to Littlewoods back on 11th April. I got a reply today saying that 'due to high number of requests for SAR' they would be unable to send me the details requested until at least the end of June.

Shall I just carry on as normal and sent LBA after 40 days? or wait for them to send it through in a couple of months?

I wouldn't have bothered at all as the account was closed a couple of years ago, but I checked my credit file and noticed a default registered by them in April 2004. I never received a notice and still amunaware of any outstanding balance. The default balance was £30

I know for a fact that i paid a few late payment fees and bounced cheque fees which were for a lot higher value than the £30

Shall I push on, or does anybody have a better route to take with them?

Thanks again for all you help.

In the meantime, you can amuse yourself by working out how much the contractual interest on the charges is, so you can claim this back with your charges.

Use this-

Compound interest calculator

Use the interest rate they charge you as the rate of interest. Being a store card its going to be very high! :D

12 "rests" per year and click the "360 day" year box

Calculate the interest on each individual charge from the day it was applied until the date their 40 days runs out.

Then add up each individual interest figure, then add the total to your charges. :)

You will delighted at how much they really owe you!

If you need any help, just shout.

Sorry! Ive got your thread confused with another. (doh!)

Disregard what Ive said if you dont have your statements and complain to the ICO if they dont send you statements within the 40 days.

Keep all letters you get from them and get them copied so you can send this as evidence with your complaint to the ICO.

Thanks for the help.

I'll write and remind them that I am not prepared to wait more than 40 days.

And sorry, but I read on anohther thread that after 40 days if they had not been received I should send them a LBA threating court action if they were not received within the7 days?

SHould I write to the ICO instead after 40 days then?

Thanks again!

Hi, I have read confilicting reports on here at to whether you can file on MCOL or not as it is not a moneyclaim. Some people are getting round it by adding a small amount of money for damages. The fee is £150 for a non monetary claim but if there is a monetary amount the fee can be much lower.

There is some templates for what to put in yout N1 particulars of claim in the bank templates section.

I think a lot of people are moving straight on with step 2 of their claim using an estimate of charges, then it is up to the company to 'prove you wrong' which they can only do by providing the SAR information.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Got the statements for one littlewoods catalogue at last.

Its a load of mumbo jumbo though, all screen prints that don't make a lot of sense. Theres a load of items with description DBR that vary between 5 and 30 each so think they may be the charges?

They have been increasing the balance even with the paments that are being made.

Ive never bought anything since so it cant be anything else, so can anybody confirm what a DBR is plz?

There should be a code sheet which tells you what the numbers next to each entry on the monthly statements are, there is a number which corresponds with charges near the bottom of the list. Also, mine included a summary sheet which detailed the entries as "Administration Charges" which did tally with the monthly statements but do double check this.

There was no summary of charges but I found a key explaining the different codes they used 174G were admin fees

They total £190 odd, so prelim sent and also removal of default which was only for £35!!

I even wrote in the letter that I was willing to forget the money as long as they moved all traces of the default from my records. that was the only reason I began the reclaim. I never knew I had a default from them until I read my credit report when I got declined for a loan.

Thats worth much more than the £190 in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

No reply yet from littlebrains so sending the LBA tomorrow

When I look at the list of charges there was a lot of them for only £5 or £10 and one or two for £30

Can I still claim the smaller charges or would they try to argue that they are below the OFT threshold (even though its a catalogue and F all to do with credit cards!)

Just checked my credit report and they have now marked my default as settled and it had an outstanding amount of £15 before. Perhaps due to the fact that they haven't supplied me with the CCA or default notice yet. But thats not good enough....oh no no no!

• 1 month later...

Filed the court claim for full amount plus interest. Claim was issued on 20th July. No acknowledgement when I got back from holiday last week.

I phoned the court and they said still no acknowledgement so I can request judgement. I faxed the form to them at their request and they confirmed receipt.

This week I called to see if it had been actioned yet and they had lost the request so I had to send it again by recorded post. They say they have a 5 day backlog of judgements....talk about giving the defendant an unfair advantage, an extra 7-8 days to get their documents in.

They signed for delivery today so have to hope littlebrains don't respond in the next 5 days before I get judgement by default.

Littlewoods did not file an acknowledgement to the court, so they awarded judgement by default on 15th August even though I only got the court letter today.

Presumably Littlewoods will now try to overturn this and request it is set aside.

The amount is only about £250 so it will probably cost them more to defend it and get the court to accept their call for it to be set aside. Should I give them a call and request payment, or just leave it and pay for a warrant and get the bailiffs down there?

I'm more bothered about the default and adverse information that was part of my POC and I stated it on the request for judgement form. But it was not mentioned on the judgement notice I got back from the court - it onyl said they must pay the money immediately. That littlewoods default for £35 is killing my credit score!

I called Littlewoods last week and asked when they were going to pay up as I had been awarded judgement against them.

They claimed never to have received the notice of issue and said they would contact the court and then decide whether it was worth asking for it to be set aside or if it was cheaper to pay up.

They asked me to fax them my notice of judgement, which I did a week ago but still not heard anything. but in my experience they have been exceedingly slow in everything they do.

Shall I give them more time or request a warrant from the court to send the bailiffs in?

I got a letter from littlewoods saying they didn't receive the court forms, but in view of the time and expense involved with filing a defence they had decided to pay up. Received a cheque for the amount of my claim.

No word on the removal of default though, that was a part of my POC and I'm not closing the claim until that is gone. That was more important than the money as it was a small amount, but the default for a £30 balance ruins my credit rating!