• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Claiming beyond 6 yrs - important new information!!!

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5704 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks so much for clearing that up.

is it also worth putting in the law case

Kleinwort Benson Ltd v Lincoln City Council as a reference

Celicaman

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

Northern rock Claim stayed working on negotiation

HSBC personal claim 1 ''WON''.

£1800 plus full stat interest plus costs.

Claim started 14/02/07 offer 3/07/07

Next:Coming soon to a thread near you! :)

HSBC personal Part 2 'return of the Celicaman'

HSBC business 1 ' my empire strikes back' N1 claim POC in progress after usual offensive offer from bank

HSBC business 2 'attack of the Celicaman'

HSBC business claim 3 'bank account menace'

HSBC business 4 'Revenge of the CAG Member' the final insult ....................... 'Maybe'

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im Happy too, thank you Zootscoot. There is so much to learn and easy to mix some facts up, and/or miss interprete, especially those which can mean 2 things, but can have different consequences if the wrong route is followed

Thanks again

Celicaman

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

HSBC business 1 ' my empire strikes back' N1 claim POC in progress after usual offensive offer from bank

HSBC business 4 'Revenge of the CAG Member' the final insult ....................... 'Maybe'

Could you post the address of where to buy the rockets :D :D

CM

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

emmaf01

What you choose to enjoy whist not working or CAGing is entirely your own business :p

Dusary - let's hope the Information Commissioner's Office comes up with the goods

CM - Not sure, but I wouldn't recommend these for the purpose!;)

ROFLOL, good choice

CM

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

Good Luck AQ, his is going to be fun LOL

Dont forget to start your own thread in the nasty west forum, and post all the things you do on there, then peeps can read and advise where required, then if you have any topic related questions, you can post them on there

Celicaman

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

Hi - have notice of transfer to my local court. Now need to send a nudge to bank's solicitors DG.

How do I work in the fact that the WHOLE of my claim is to be considered? When I started the claim, all entries were within the six year limit. But when the bank made me an ex-gratia offer, they struck out a couple of the entries, as they were 'outside' the six years....:mad:

HELP!!

TIA

You need to add into your argument,part of the S32 limitations act

32.--

• (1) .... where in the case of any action for which a period of limitation is prescribed by this Act, either-
    • (a) the action is based upon the fraud of the defendant; or
    • (b) any fact relevant to the plaintiff's right of action has been deliberately concealed from him by the defendant; or
    • © the action is for relief from the consequences of a mistake;

[*]the period of limitation shall not begin to run until the plaintiff has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake (as the case may be) or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it. ....

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) above, deliberate commission of a breach of duty in circumstances in which it is unlikely to be discovered for some time amounts to deliberate concealment of the facts involved in that breach of duty. . . . (5) Sections 14A and 14B of this Act shall not apply to any action to which subsection (1)(b) above applies (and accordingly the period of limitation referred to in that sub-section, in any case to which either of those sections would otherwise apply, is the period applicable under section 2 of this Act).

This following part you would add into your witness statement or statement of evidence

9. The claimant seeks permission to proceed with the claim under s.32 (1)(b) of the Limitation Act 1980, on the grounds that the claimant would not reasonably have discovered the defendant’s deliberate concealment of the facts relevant to the claimant’s right of action before the report of the OFT was published on 05/04/2006.

The facts relevant to the claimant’s right of action are that the defendant is unjustly enriched by exercising the contractual terms in respect of default charges with a view to profit.

If the defendant has elected to present its charges as if they were a legitimate loss or cost, whilst it is in actual fact profiting in a material sense from the charges, the defendant can be seen to have been operating without accountability to its customers, and to have consciously concealed the facts.

The defendant is clearly in a privileged position to have a direct means of withdrawing monies from the claimant’s bank account.

The claimant is entitled to know whether the charges paid represent a justifiably incurred cost to the defendant’s business, or whether they are in fact a penalty, and to expect that the defendant will always conduct itself with integrity.

10. Alternatively, the claimant seeks permission to proceed with the claim under s.32 (1)© of the Limitation Act 1980 on the grounds that the payments were conceded on the mistaken presumption that the said charges and interest thereon, did not amount to penalties - Kleinwort Benson Ltd v Lincoln City Council - and that the claimant Would not reasonably have discovered the said mistakes before the report of the OFT was published on 05/04/2006.

Hope that expalins it enough, but read up a little on it first.

You could reply to the bank on the lines of due to the banks deliberate concealment as to the lawfullness of their charges, you willl be relying on the s32 limitations to argue that the 6 yr bar be waived etc

Have a read of bongs thread for some of the argument

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/33005-bong-hsbc-contractual-interest-4.html

Celicaman

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

Great thread very informative!.....I have just initiated a claim against Co-Op Bank for 'COMMISSION' charges taken from my account from Jan 1989 to Nov 1999 which amounted to approx £1,500.....The interest is actually more than the charges at over £1,700 calculated on the provided spreadsheet from 1989 to present day!

I found consectutive old statements in my loft from '89 to '99, it will be very interesting to see how the Co-Op reacts to these dates and the prospect of paying up charges and interest going back 18 YEARS!

Wish me luck!.......Will keep this thread informed of all developments.

Regards,:)

Jendoc

Hi Jendoc, can i just question your wording for the above, you say 'commision' charges. If they are commision charges, they sound like they are legitimate charges, its charges for going over overdrafts, recall charges, returned cheque charges etc that can be claimed.

Is it a business account ?

Celicaman

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

Hi...Yeah on my statements the charges are called 'COMMISSION' it is not a business account only a current account, but at that time all charges with the Co-Op were known as COMMISSION.

The three main charges on all of my statements are called:

Debit Interest,

Service Charge,

Commission, and all for varing amounts everytime i've gone overdrawn! or missed a direct debit payment.

Jendoc

Just thought had better clarify in case, most other banks commision is legit. Bet you get a letter soon saying you cant claim as over 6 years ! Oh yes you can LOL

Good luck

CM

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

First charges claimed Jan/feb 2001 filed court march 2001 paid in full no quibble and also offer inc interest @8% up to date of offer, ok 2 claims in jan & feb only £55 but they paid it no argument about outside 6 years.

Next claim back to 1990 on same account plus charges after last claim, this should be a laugh, i think they may squirm a little

CM

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

I hope it goes as well for me against Halifax. A ggod majority of my claim amounts to charges outside the limitation. Heres hoping;)

Hi Muggins how many of your charges are outside of the 6 yr period

Depending on what stage you are at, you can still add parts of the S32 limitations act to nullify any defence the bank throw at you if they dispute charges outside

CM

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

KennyH, its your claim, if you feel you need to get the current claim underway, then thats your choice as the post 6yr claim would prob go through faster yes.

Non of your claim would probably see an actual court anyway, its just arguing with the banlk as to its legality that could drag it out longer.

Good luck

CM

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

I have just won a claim consisting of 12 years of charges, this was the most recent 6 years, plus the 6 years prior to that.

My next claims will consist of charges that are ALL pre 6 years, some as far back as 1984.

I will not let up and let them get away with this !

This is an interesting post by Bankfodder.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-727697.html

PM

Well Done PM You deserve it,:D keep up the good work

Celicaman

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

Help.

Ive just been reading this thread, (slap my wrist ive not read it before) and now I am worried.

Been on the phone today to Halifax re claim over 6 yrs, I was offered less than I claimed for ,(money put in bank infact)

Cut a long story short Ive told them I know theyhavent gon to 1999 wit charges only reimbursing me from 2001. Told them to take money back and Ill carry on with claim.

They said not their policy to pay over 6 yrs, Me and my big mouth said Ive seen cases on here that have been paid out.:eek:

Have I just dropped a big fat WHOOPSIE

Think general concensus of opinion is carry on with your pre 6 years claim, they will just have to up their ex gratia offer by £300, as long as its not for CI but charges over 6 years charges only.

They will be hoping that you just give up as they tell you they dont pay up on old charges, I think you already sent a rejection letter, so you could always follow up with a second one stating that whilst you accept the figure of £**** as part payment, you are still going to court for the balance, you should probably quote some of the s32 limitations arguments, just to show you are serious and know your stuff ;)

They will cave in eventually if you do it right, Im sure PM can advise as he just won 12 years worth.

CM

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

Oh and no whoopsee lol, why should it be, let them know you know that it is claimable

CM

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

Hayes, in you offer letter it usually says in relation to claim from (date) to (Date) and as long as you sent the acceptance form this forum, there is no problem in putting a second claim in.

Worth checking on your copy of offer letter & what you signed, if different, just as double check, but should not pose problem

CM

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

Hi, you can use the limitations act s32 part 1 (B) & © to argue your case for pre 6 years, carry on with your claim, they will have to pay up.

32.--

• (1) .... where in the case of any action for which a period of limitation is prescribed by this Act, either-
    • (a) the action is based upon the fraud of the defendant; or
    • (b) any fact relevant to the plaintiff's right of action has been deliberately concealed from him by the defendant; or
    • © the action is for relief from the consequences of a mistake;

[*]the period of limitation shall not begin to run until the plaintiff has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake (as the case may be) or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it. ....

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) above, deliberate commission of a breach of duty in circumstances in which it is unlikely to be discovered for some time amounts to deliberate concealment of the facts involved in that breach of duty. . . . (5) Sections 14A and 14B of this Act shall not apply to any action to which subsection (1)(b) above applies (and accordingly the period of limitation referred to in that sub-section, in any case to which either of those sections would otherwise apply, is the period applicable under section 2 of this Act).

Try the link below for more info

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/3598-do-you-have-charges.html

Halifax seem to think that by paying into your account, that its a closed matter, use a rejection letter from the templates library (see blue link in my signature below) to say that you accept as part payment only and you will continue to court for the rest. You will need to add into the template, why & how you invoke the limitations act, not as easy as cut & paste, you need to understand how it applies to your claim, so read up & learn.

Use the search box 'limitations' act to find other threads relating to that & you may even find a template 'paragraph' to add to your rejection letter.

As a point © is the stronger argument, as it was a mistake on your part that you believed that they ( the bank) had the right to levy the charges, so you allowed it to continue, and that it was not brought to your attention until either april 2006 or march 2007, depending on whether you use the OFT report or i think it was the BBC whistleblower program.

Research both & understand all putting in your claim.

Good luck

Celicaman

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

Also, i bet their offer was marked 'without predjudice' which means they cant show the offer to the court.

CM

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

I didnt mention S32 when I filed my claim or in my AQ just the template POC but they are going to use it apparently, but it is not mentioned in their defence either, can they do this?

As far as i understand, The banks also use the s32 limitations act to say that claims older than 6 years are outside the limitations act, your argument against this is s32 the act of concealment and that you were mistaken in allowing them to charge you the penalties. If they have stated somewhere that your claim is time barred you say it is not for those reasons.

CM

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won