• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

advice needed,on so many debt collectors after me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5172 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Michelle, I take my hat off to you in acknowledgement of what you have achieved in the last three months!

OK, you've had loads of good advice from this site but it takes a spunky girl like you to see it through and I admire you. Hope your Dad's recovering - I am almost his age.

If I may, having read all 14 pages of your thread in one session, and have been where you were on March 31, I'd like to just offer a few thoughts which may, or may not, ease some of the stress I sense in some of your postings.

First of all, remember there are four types of 'institution' out there all trying to grab a bit of your income:

- the companies that allege you own them money;

- the debt collection agencies they engage to get it out of you;

- the **** that buy what they coyly term a 'tranche of debt' for anything

between 2% and 15% of the face value;

- the truly horrific solicitors the latter often employ on in house contracts.

If, for the moment, we exclude the original holder of the alleged debt just take a moment to think of the individuals, male or female, that are employed by the others.

They almost inevitably work on commission and in some cases work in India.

Strangely enough, they are some of the best to deal with because they are cultured - frequently graduated - and inherently courteous individuals. The worst - in my experience - are the raw spoken Glaswegians and their ilk.

The DCAs works purely on commission - too much hassle from you and they'll bunt the debt back to the alleged owner.

The debt purchaser is trouble. One of the largest companies is Cattles plc. You are obviously computer literate, so Google them - look at their annual report, after all they are quoted on the FTSE 250, and see what their CEO earns - I'd share his basic salary (£500k I think) with you and even cut your children in!

Every so squeaky clean, Michelle, but they own the Lewis Group (among others) that buys debt. To distance themselves still further the ever so kosher law firm of Howard Cohen & Co has a 'branch' in their offices in Batley.

Snouts in troughs all round. Indeed, I read on this very site Howard Cohen himself has left H.C. & Co. and joined another firm in Leeds.

These are the danger ones. Google 'Howard Cohen' and see what comes up.

Not a mention of their disgusting activities. (Don't get mixed up with Dr. Howard Cohen, muhl to Jewish gentry which may come up first!)

By now you must be wondering what my points are.

a) Avoid alienating individual employees. Those that work for the companies

you are dealing with can be very vindictive an 'aciddently' break the

rules.

b) My experience of Trading Office personnel (in a county adjacent to

yours) is they are total Jobsworths enjoying secure employment until

their gold plated pension comes into effect.

c) Your local councillor could prove helpful. My wife and I are lucky in that

we have an Independent.

d) Once you have sorted out - to your satisfaction and nobody else's -

what you legitimately owe and to whom do please go to the CCCS which

is mentioned on your thread.

e) Give them the facts: I owe £xxxx to A, B, C et al;

My income is £xxxx per month;

My expenditure on A, B, C, et al is £xxx per month.

f) They are a registered charity. they make no charge for their services,

and are totally non-judgemental.

g) They will, in fact, propose a Debt Management Programme if you can

afford a minimum of £5.00 per month to each agreed creditor - be it an

alleged creditor or a DCA - and make the payments for you.

Michelle, remember I'm virtually your Dad's age, and the CCCS have certainly (so far!) saved me from bankruptcy.

Hope this somewhat alternative thinking helps a bit.

Regards to Dad.

Vandermerwe

• Haha 1

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Stadium Arcadium, spare a thought for those poor people working for the DCAs. From what I read on their 'come and join us' websites they are only paid commission and need to use their own cars and telephones.

Shame!

Perhaps why they can be so offensive? Mind you I am being bombarded with telephone calls from HSBC in Manila, and am having to send them a stop harassing letter. It's a pity really 'cos I just love the sweet sounding, and unmistakable Filipina accent - one girl was quite overwhelmed when I responded with a few words in Tagalog - I just hope it wasn't, er, inappropriate but it made her giggle.

But so polite and feminine - maybe that's why the DCAs like writing to Mich

who has managed to clock up some 16 pages on this thread.

As ever, keep it up Mich - it's obvious there are a lot of people out there that like you.

Regards as ever.

Van

Hi Mich

As you show Gloucester on your postings I've been thinking about you (and your Dad) over the weekend and since given the appalling floods and damage in your region.

To hell with the DCAs - just give us all a post to show you're OK and coping with the floods will you?

As ever.

Van

P.S. If you want a bit of a laugh look on my thread - Old Age Pensioner -v-HSBC and my quest for an avatur. It's obviously not all doom and gloom on CAG.

• 5 months later...

Good morning Emmasgirl.

I agree entirely. It is so frustrating when an interesting thread just ceases.

I can think of several others and if, and when, a moderator can spare a moment I'm sure you and I plus many others would appreciate a comment.

Vandermerve

(aka as Emma's father who has just given her mother and me a wonderful Christmas)

Thanks for good wishes Freaky.

We had a good time at our daughter and son-in-law's place (plus our two grandchildren and three dogs).

Hardly restful but it did Mrs. V. good to get out of the house for the first time since her stroke - but Sod and his Law struck and gave us both stonking coughs and colds.

But God Bless our daughter.

Good time too in the FL household I trust? And all the very best to you for 2008.

Emma's Dad (ala Vandermerve)