• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Jule$ versus Northern Bank

Jule$
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6563 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent my DPA to Northern Head Office in Belfast on 16th May, it was delivered 18th May.

They cashed my cheque on Monday (22nd May) and I received a letter this morning (24th May) acknowledging receipt and that they will supply details within the 40 days.

I am quite surprised by how quickly they replied so will wait and see if the rest of the info comes as quickly.

Jule$

Guest Lueeze

Wel done, be prepared to wait the whole 40 days I did!

Lou x

Wohoo 2000 posts!

Hi Lou,

I expect to have to wait the 40 days, I expect nothing less from the Northern that would be their style, when you want something from them, you wait. If on the other hand they want something from you, they expect it yesterday!!!!

Hi Big Aid,

There is one other that I know of taking on the Northern, I just wish more people would do it. The banks in Northern Ireland have been ripping us off for far too long. I can't believe that we were so stupid as to pay £9.50 a month for a £100 over draft!!!!!! and whatever else they have charged us for.... Oh well, you live and learn!

We no longer use the account even though they now have given us free banking, so kind of them!!!!!

Good Luck to everyone I will keep you posted as to progress.

Jules

I sent my DPA to the Northern on 27 April and they haven't even acknowledged it,even though it was sent recorded.So they had to get a timely kick up the arse in the form of a reminder sent yesterday to the effect that the clock is ticking....I am estimating a pretty nice return eventually from them.

And I concur entirely with the poster who said when they wanted something they wanted it yesterday!!

MY TURN NOW, thanks very much!!!;)

And I concur entirely with the poster who said when they wanted something they wanted it yesterday!!

Don't they all? And when we want something? Barclays have failed to supply the required information three times so far for me. I'm thinking I might have to start charging them by the hour for my time at this rate.

... a little

Mahala is a powerful thing ...

If you like my advice, please click the scales.

All advice is offered informally. If in any doubt, seek professional advice.

Barclays:claiming £908. Defence filed

Simply Be: settled in full

Abbey: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

GE Capital: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

Aktiv Kapital: Failed to comply with CCA disclosure. Debt unenforceable.

If this site has helped you, please make a donation to help keep it going.

Hi I am also with the northern bank, I have today recieved my information incomplete under DPA. I requested for the six years but I am missing 4. Like jules I had receipt of my original letter quickly but my info was 3 days outside the 40 day period. The letter they sent me is the same for both accounts that I am claiming unlawfull bank charges for. I will type a little bit as I am sure you will get the same.

Sections 7 and 8 data protection act 1998

In accordance with section 7 of the data protection act 1998 you have a right to your personal data on payment of the sum of £10.00, however section 8 of that act provides that the bank is only required to comply with such a request where it is possible to do so without disproportionate effort. Your request for the bank to disclose events and notes showing where manual intervention was required in relation to your banking business would not be readily available form our records and would clearly require a disproportionate effort on the part of the bank, however i can confirm that it would be normal bank practise for there to be manual intervention on each occurrence of unauthorised borrowing by a customer.

The information which you request in relation to transactions and charges would already be available to you in the statements of your account previously furnished to you. Under your contract with the bank your are entitled to copies of these statements but any of these dating prior to april 2004 are not readily available to us and require very significant effort on the banks part to locate and produce,therefore there would be a cost of £6.00 per page for these in accordance with the banks fees and tariffs. i therefore enclose copy statements for the period 31 march 2004 to date as per your request.

Now I have followed the guidelines here and typed of the 2nd dpa letter which gives them a further 7 days but my major problem is the info that they have sent me I cannot make head nor tail of it. I would be pleased to hear anyones comments and advise on this. thankyou

complete and utter bunkum!!

They are obliged by law to keep records dating back 7 years so that they can be subject to auditing.

As far as manual intervention is concerned,if they claim to use manual intervention,then they must be in a postion to substantiate this by proof of this intervention,whether or not it's too much trouble for them,the poor fellas!!All that staff going through everyone's accounts individually to apply charges!!Is that the reason they still haven't supplied me with my information? Everyone tied up manually applying charges-what a joke!!

I believe your next course of action is laid down in the FAQ's-I think Abbey were using this tactic for a while....

Thanks a lot for your comments I have today printed out the letter from the faqs page and have sent it off, but I have to say I am a little nervous about the situation if they do not get back to me

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 11 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6563 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks