• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Dealing with Cabot 101/Cabot threads.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4389 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

John,

I suggest you start your own thread. This is what I did, and the helpful replies are coming in.

I would be very interested in the results of this as it is where I will probably be not too far from now. Apparently Cabot often return the £1, but in my case they actually put it toward the alleged debt and sent a letter saying "Thank you for your payment".

This has to be unlawful as the letter (template N) clearly stated that the £1 postal order was the CCA fee.

Cabot will try to get away with anything, and clearly in your case they are making up the law as they go along.

Clearly it is time to initiate a complaint through their internal procedures. (You have to do this before it can go to the FOS) I can give you a link to Seahorse's blog where the complaints procedure is located -

Complain : Cabot Financial Blog

The only thing I can't tell you is whether this information is up to date or not.

It would also be useful to know exactly which regulations have been breached so that you come across as informed when making the complaint.

Start your own thread, and you will get more help.

SH

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Feeding the ducks in the local park can be a pleasant pastime. Feeding trolls usually isn't.

However, sometimes the ill-informed drivel they spout cannot be allowed to go unanswered, simply because there may be impressionable and uninformed people reading these posts looking for answers.

Here's a thought

What, from a DCA employee? Well, at least that establishes a precedent.

call me crazy

Well, it is one possibility, but I can think of a few other things I would like to call you.

why dont you for a change just pay your debts!! instead of trying to find way of stalling and getting out of paying them. After all you have got the credit and spent it

A life that exists only in black and white. No shades of grey. If, my dear troll, you ever graduate to adulthood you may find out that the real world is not like that. In the first place, many people being hounded by DCA thugs did not ever borrow money in the first place. Secondly, even if they did borrow money, there is often a legitimate dispute concerning all or part of the account. Especially when you bear in mind your colleagues' propensity for breaching every regulation in the book and adding on bogus charges, and then interest on the bogus charges, and then interest on interest on the bogus charges, until the alleged debt which started off as a simple cricket score has now become an international telephone number.

And, in the unlikely event that the money is genuinely owed, saying "why dont you for a change just pay your debts" is not a question which is necessarily relevant to the real world. Yes, the ARE people out there who are simple debt evaders, seeking to gain something for nothing. I have to say I have never yet met one on the CAG. In many other cases, genuine hardship, even hardship involving terminal illness or permanent disability, means that the option of paying any alleged debt is simply not there.

This concept requires a degree of humanity to understand, which is why it is totally beyond the grasp of the employees of debt collection agencies, whose sole raison d'etre appears to be to harass, bully and abuse people into giving them something which they cannot give, because it simply doesn't exist.

you wouldnt borrow money of a freind then not pay them back but still expect them to be nice to you and still be your friends would you??

Well, actually, in the civilized world you just might. If you lent money to someone, and they then suffered a life changing accident or illness, lost their entire income and were unable to pay you back, then you might exhibit a degree of understanding. Assuming you were a human being and not an employee of a debt collection agency.

so why dont you have a think next time before you try and steal more money from the goverment!!

I am assuming when you say "goverment", you are actually referring to the GoverNment. Have I missed something? Has Crapbot Farcical now taken over the entire country? Is Dear Old Ken now ensconsed in No.10 Downing Street, dreaming up new ways of feeding his greed from the long suffering populace?

Actually, the job would suit him perfectly. Glory and unearned booty gained from living at everyone else's expense.

What the hell has the "goverment" got to do with Consumer Credit?

If you really want to know who steals money from the Government, I will tell you. The banking and finance industry steals from the Government. When a credit card company or bank lends money to an individual, a contract is signed. Or, at least should be signed. The individual is bound not only by honour, but by law, to adhere to that agreement.

What is the lender obliged to adhere to? At the first sign of trouble, at the very first sign that this may have been a poor business choice, the lending institution will close the account, fire the debtor, and claim the balance in tax relief.

That is right. They will make the rest of society responsible for their mistake.

Or, at least, their possible mistake. There is no proof whatsover that if the lending institution had behaved like a proper business and been prepared to work with the borrower through his rough patch, that the account would not have been brought back into order. Making further profits for the lender, and saving the Government from an unnecessary loss.

Although, of course, it is never the Government that really does take the loss, is it? It is the long suffering taxpayer who subsidises both Government insanity, and the treachery of ponces and leeches such as the banking industry.

That is what a bank or lending institution really is. A blown up version of Arthur Daley or Del Boy Trotter.

They are inherently immoral, treacherous and dishonest. The only phenomenon worse than these parasites are the bottom feeding **** who buy up these reject accounts that the banks will no longer deal with. Because it is too much like hard work to run an honest business, and too easy to live at everyone else's expense. These loathsome organizations then bully, harass, threaten and abuse the already beleaguered debtor, trying to coerce them into parting with what they can ill afford to part with.

These savages are the regression of thinking man back to the level of the animal. They, and their practices, have absolutely no place in a civilized and evolved society. They have taken their gift of human life, and thrown it away, choosing to live only at the level of baseness, greed, and subhuman malevolence.

Are you looking in the mirror, Mr Troll?.

SH

• Haha 1

What a wonderful gesture of goodwill by Crapbot Farcical!

They are prepared to accept a donation of only £1191.15 on the debt you don't have, on the account you never owned. With generosity like this, there is no need to look any further for candidates to play Santa Claus.

I will, however, trump their ace. Silvermick, I have just written out (in crayon) a bill for you for £3million. This is my charge for the time I have spent reading your post.

As a gesture of even greater goodwill, I am prepared to settle for only one third of the non-existent alleged debt, and if you send me a cheque for £1million by last Thursday, I will write off the rest of the balance.

("Until I sell it on to the next bunch of bottom feeders, but don't tell HIM that!")

If you want to see a letter I created for "accepting" these "full and final settlements", go here -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/104668-cabot-windywoo-4.html#post1813490

As for your own fun and games with Crapbot, start your own thread in the main forum, and you will get plenty of help and support in seeing them off. Go here -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/

and then use the button in the bottom left corner.

SH

Can someone advise me if you can go ahead with the CCA letter after a failed attempt at an IVA. Baines and Ernst, and Blair Endersby are to be avoided as they add to your outstanding ammount of debt charging in my case £4000 for setting up the IVA. Hence I could not keep the IVA payments going and it failed returning me to the start position of all my debts still outstanding hence Cabot are now chasing me. Please help.

Hello and welcome to the CAG.

Can you please start your own thread on this, as it will attract far more attention than a post on this old thread which very people read.

Go here -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/

and use the button in the bottom left hand corner.

SH

• 10 months later...
am in the process of a f+f with cabgrot have only been paying token £1 since june on a £9230 debt they bought off halifux [ oops sorry my spelling is so rubbish :D]

ive offered £3200 they want £4800

they have cca

but know they only paid p/nuts im off sick = lost my job

any advice do l stick to my offer ??? :confused:

Do you have your own thread on this case?

Are you sure the CCA is enforceable? Has it been checked out?

Did you ever receive a default notice before the account was terminated?

Is there a significant amount of the balance made up of unfair charges?

Was this a loan or credit card? If so, was there any mis-sold PPI?

Without knowing more of the circumstances, it is impossible to give specific advice.

If you haven't yet started a thread, that is the first step.

SH