• Tweets

• Savers are pouring money into cash Isas as they look to protect the interest on their nest eggs from tax. They put more than £11bn into cash Isas in April.View the full article
    • The stock ended the trading day at nearly $136, up 3.5%, making it more valuable than Microsoft.View the full article
    • More from the Second Sight guys in the Law Gazette. Post Office Inquiry: Second Sight accountant accuses lawyer of conspiring to pervert course of justice | Law Gazette WWW.LAWGAZETTE.CO.UK Second Sight accountant found compelling evidence in two cases that evidence was withheld, public inquiry is told.  
    • Why have there not been arrests yet? Waiting for the end of an inquiry which seems designed to drag on forever is a feeble excuse "the Post Office “was constantly sabotaging our efforts” to seek the truth and used claims of legal professional privilege – a type of confidentiality which covers legal documents – “to justify withholding documents from us”. "Aujard had said the state-owned body “would not hesitate to take legal action against me” under a “draconian” non-disclosure agreement (NDA)" "Henderson became concerned after reviewing the case file of Jo Hamilton, .. Henderson said the Post Office’s decision to charge Hamilton did not seem to be supported by its own internal security report, and there was evidence that “potentially exculpatory material” had not been disclosed to her at trial or subsequently. “I regarded this as either professional misconduct or, potentially, criminal conduct,” he said."   Horizon IT scandal investigator tells inquiry Post Office was ‘sabotaging our efforts’ | Post Office Horizon scandal | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Ian Henderson, looking into possible miscarriages of justice, said he came to believe he was dealing with ‘a cover-up’  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Nationwide - Cloned Cashpoint Card

Morrighan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6303 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had £350 paid into my current account. I withdrew £200 on saturday morning from a BP Petrol Station Nationwide ATM. On Sunday afternoon I had 0.26p in my account.

I phone Nationwide immediately and they told me it sounds like my card had been cloned; I should go to my local branch and hand in my now useless card; I should fill in an Unauthorised Transaction form. All of which I did, the staff told me that cloning is very common nowadays.

Two weeks later, I received a letter from Nationwide, headed "Disputed ATM Withdrawals" which states:

"I have now completed my investigations into your recent claim. I regret to inform you that your claim has been declined because

• you advised that your card was in your possession
  • the PIN was keyed to undertake the withdrawal(s)

She attached details of my "disputed" transactions - all transactions which include withdrawals, mini-statements and balance enquiries in a place in London where I have NEVER been, never mind that my account will show that my withdrawals are consistent and have taken place at the most convenient ATMs to where I live. I have also NEVER requested a mini-statement at an ATM - at all. There were 23 transactions altogether which, I believe, show clearly that it was nothing to do with me.

The letter went on to advise that I should change my card (already done and new one already received) and change my PIN (already done and new one already received).

I am allowed 14 days in which to appeal. I believe this is a standard letter to put people off reclaiming. After all, it's £150 not £15,000 but it's MY £150!

By the way, I tried to log the theft with the police but didn't get very far because a) nobody picked up the phone and b) nobody called me after I left a message on their answerphone. Upshot is, I don't have a crime reference number.

Before I cut my throat by writing a stinging and angry letter to this bloody woman, can anyone advise me on the best course of action?

Many thanks,

M

Interesting this isn't a 'Chip & PIN' [problem] but a good old fashioned Mag Stripe cloning. Considering that Petrol Stations are known to be a hotbed of cloning activity, their refusal is nothing short of malicious.

I'd respond by rejecting their refusal and asking the matter to be referred to a senior member of staff. It would also be worthwhile reporting this to the Police, as it may be part of a wide-ranging [problem] involving other bank cards.

Not too late to inform the police at all! In fact, when they record a crime they record the bank as the 'victim' because it is you who will recieve the money back, and it is them who claim it back from their insurers. The fact that the banks have lost so much money is one of the reasons they are unsure about how to comply with the law.

Your post above looks like Nationwide took you to mean that you didn't make the transactions. I think they have got it wrong.

And when your card is cloned, you DO have the card in your possession and they KNOW your PIN number!! Otherwise, your card would have been stolen!

Nationwide are so stupid, that's why I've stopped banking with them! Get the police to log a crime reference number, phone Nationwide, get firm with them and get them to sort it out!

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

Hi there just got Pm to come here. I work for Nationwide and it looks to me like they have got the wrong end of the stick.

It's been a long day but my tired brain tells me there are two forms relating to card transaction one of which you have filled in.

I'll check up on this tomorrow (when I'm a bit more alert).

It does appear they have gotten the wrong end of the stick. Personally I would send a letter in ASAP with the list of transactions and the info you have here.

"transactions which include withdrawals, mini-statements and balance enquiries in a place in London where I have NEVER been, never mind that my account will show that my withdrawals are consistent and have taken place at the most convenient ATMs to where I live. I have also NEVER requested a mini-statement at an ATM - at all. "

This is particularly important to include, keep it businesslike. Stick to the facts, you have clearly been wronged here.

Basically what's happened, so far, is that the form has been sent onto a customer service team who (I'm being honest here) don't always know what they're doing. It is very frustrating for us in branch.

So to sum up my advice is either write a letter making the point you make (another thing how far apart were the transactions from others you had made? Is it even possible?). or go into the branch and speak to the mananger. I realize this might not be practical, and they would still send the letter on, but at least the complaint will be logged again and likely sent on with some input from the manager.

The only problem with this approach is the manager may not be available. Actually I'll pm you as this is getting rather longwinded!!!

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Hi,

This also happened to my mum. But when she went to the bank they advised to go to local police station. It turned out that after she withdrew money from fife bank within 30 mins a withdrawl was made in England to clear account and she got her money back within 7 days. If i were you I would appeal and get down to local police station asap

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Same thing happened to my son in North London.......................except his money was taken out in NSW, Australia.

I WENT to the Police station, filled out form and took away for him to sign then returned it, got the crime number and made appointment with our Bank Manager and got him to fill in various forms and he submitted them from branch.

2 weeks later the £229 was back in my sons account.

Don't give up as its your money and don't take any BS...............just keep at it

Thank you for all your comments.

I've sent off the form enclosed with their letter and tomorrow I'm going to the police station to log the theft. I was going to wait and see what happens with the form but instead I'm going to write a letter and take it to my local branch where the staff at pretty friendly.

• 3 weeks later...