• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Claiming on a Business account? Lets join forces?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4001 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all

im Claiming £37000 from nat west (business account) so ill join this thread as well

can anyone tell me if it will make any difference as i have sent my MCOL with the template from a private account rather than a business account

i.e. consumer law has been mentioned

thanks for any advice u can give

regards scott

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 Grand

and u are still in business

Good luck with the claim and keep me posted

lol yes and doing very well ( nat west are totaly crap at helping new business's . they are only interested in taking as much money as possible)

there reason not to lend me money was I GREW TO BIG TO QUICKLY!!!!!

unreal

photoman

thanks for your reply i will speak to mcol on monday and will post ther advice in case it helps anyone else.

answers to your questions are as follows

1. Q...how did i arrive at that figure

A.... only claiming for cheques &ddi's

2. A... only legit charges yes no arrange ment fees etc

interest.... ( actual charges Are 26010 Interest 10280 +4000 mcol fee

i used a template on moneysavingtips to work out the interest to charge(all my charges are between Jan 01 &May 03 so alot of interest to be reclaimed)

thanks photoman for replying it a great help to be pointed in the right direction

thanks again

Scott

• Haha 1

im ready to send this into court on monday, i would appreciate any comments as i m paying £35.00 to ammend my original POC form. Please note this is a BUSINESS ACCOUNT

Claim No xxxxxxx account No….xxxxxxx

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Claimant had an account with the Defendant which between the dates of

01/12/2000 And 01/06/2004 the defendant applied numerous default charges.

2. During the period in which the Account had been operating the Defendant debited numerous charges to the Account in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant and also charged interest on the charges once applied. The Claimant understands that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimant.

3. A list of the charges applied is attached to these particulars of claim.

4. The Claimant contends that:

a) The charges debited to the Account are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit. b) The contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the common law. The precedent for the law relating to contractual penalties was set in the case of Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage Motor Co Ltd (1915) AC 79. Additionally, in the case of Murray v Leisureplay (2005) EWCA Civ 963 it was held that a contractual party may only recover damages in respect of its actual loss or liquidated losses. They are also contrary to common law.

5. Accordingly the Claimant claims:

a) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £ xxxxand any interest charged thereon;

b) Court costs;

c) Interest pursuant to section 69 County Courts Act as set out on the attached list of charges or at such rate and for such periods as the court deems just.

6. Alternatively, if the charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under S.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act (1982).

I believe that the contents of these particulars of claim are true

Signed: Date

THANKS FOR ANY REPLIES

SCOTT

JUST A NOTE AS IT MIGHT HELP SOMEONE IF YOU AMMEND YOUR POC IT HAS TO BE IN RED INK .......

Hi everybody-am in process of claiming for both personal (£6758) and business (£11952) accounts with the Bank of Scotland.Heard nothing from Bank re business account despite having sent two letters. Phoned local court today and was told that I would have to consult a solicitor because of the amounts involved. Starting to crap it ! Will the fact that I don't have an overdraft or loan with my business account go against me ?

Any advice much appreciated x

largo

im claiming £37000 from a business account which is more or less the same process as claiming from a personal account. in my experience so far i would recommend doing it yourself just read lots of threads and make your own decision (the amount u r claiming makes no difference wether its £1000 or £ 40,000

regards scott

Largo

yes try through the small claims the judge might move it to fast track but the process is the same,the outcome of which ever track u use will be the same which is you win so don't worry about it to much it Incidentlly when you fill in your poc for the business account don't make references to consumer law. hope this has been some help

regards

scott

photoman

excellent reply ithought about about using a solicitor but decided against it after reading through various threads (hours of my time ,but time well spent as i have gained alot of knowledge which im sure will result in me winning my case.

hi everyone

i got notification from the court that the judge has approved my ammended POC (COST £35) i had already sent cobbetts a copy so i faxed them a 2nd copy along with a copy of my charges (again).corbetts said thet hadnt recieved the other copies (normal stalling tactics i believe).i followed up the fax with atelephone call to confirm they had recieved all the pages and would they require any other info faxed to them.They replied that they had all the info that they require so i asked them whether i could also claim the £100 for the AQ the reply was YES they will pay u that as well,ithen asked at what stage they are at with there defence and i was told that it will now be up to the nat west to decide on what course of action to take.i'm assuming im close to being paid out am i correct? or have i got more suprises coming my way.....

any comments would be appreciated

regards scott

hi everyone

i ve reiceved corbetts AQ today can someone confirm what the following means and do i need to reply to corbetts?????

case management directions cannot be proposed until the claimant serves a reply to the request for further infomation which was due on 19th March 2007. In light of this, the defendant may amend its defence or apply to strike out.

im assuming they are refering to cpr request which i refused to answer and sent them a letter from the template section explaining my reasons..

Just for anyone who is claiming more than £5000 My claim is for £37000 and corbetts are requesting fast track and are asking the court to allow 3 hours for the case to be heard....

is this common what will happen next

thanks for any replies

scott

• 2 weeks later...

hi breezy girl

welcome first of all

the one thing you need to know is YES YES YES you can claim all charges for returned cheques returned DDI's etc you will get all your money back ...But you need to read lots of info on this site if you cant work out what to do post on here and someone will ALWAYS helpyou.

dont be scared we were all like you when we first came to this site. there are loads of great people on this site that will help you all the way...

so be strong

go get your money back girl

best of luck

scott

• 2 weeks later...

1 final question

the cheque is made payable to my co.name i asked for any cheque to be made payable to my name should i send it back(im not worried how long it takes to get a replacement chq)

any help welcome

scott

• 1 month later...

doris

Any correspondence whether its solicitors or courts, u should & must keep copies as u may need them at a later stage with your claim........

If u havent got a copy & cant get one from the court DO NOT try & remember the wording and send to the solicitors , u will have to wait until the court forward it on........

I cant see any other way around this

PLEASE PLEASE keep copies

Scott

Hi Photoman

1....The wording is fine

2....You will need to file a new N244 u will need 3 copies for the court (all ammendments need to be in RED ink) this costs £35 which is not reclaimable.......

3...as regards the wording.......Just make it simple and to the point...as long as the judge understands that is all that matters.......

Scott

• 2 months later...
Hi can anyone help. Is there a maximum amount you claim for throught a business account in one go. I am trying to claim for a total of £8,000 which includes interest. Or shall I split it into two claims. Although I have all the data, I have not made claim yet. Coz I was thinking about the final outcome at the court.

So to summarise.

1. IS there a maximum amount you can take throught the small claims for a business account. Is it the same as a personal account i.e. £5,000.

2. The claim is with HSBC and I have not included any overdraft arrangment fees,overdraft interest, or stopped cheque charges.and I know that I wont be including the 8% interest charges at this stage, as I believe this comes within the court claim amount - like the costs & interest must be a maximum of £5,000 with a personal account. Please can someone help am I right here please?:confused: I'll donate to site when it comes throught. Thanks

Hi i reclaimed £36,000 successfully from nat west this year..........so if anything u will probably be put on the fast track court system which is a benefit 2 u...........

My claim was 1 claim and not split in any way........the downside is if you loose the case you are liable to the defendants costs very unlikely u will lose...........if you follow the cag way

Scott