• Tweets

• do a chargeback to your bank if temu want it back then they'll write and ask for it. 9/10 they dont bother. dx
    • No reminders are required by law. As a result of that, whether the police say they sent one or not, whether they actually did so or not and whether you received it or not has no bearing on the matter whatsoever.  I have explained what to do in the third paragraph of my post #22. You don't need to do any more than that. The most likely outcome is that your offer (to plead guilty to speeding if the FtP charge is dropped) will be accepted by the prosecutor. What happens next is for the court to decide. This "deal" is done every day in courts up and down the land and all court users (prosecutors, Magistrates and their legal advisors) are familiar with it.  Although I said you could not ask to be sentenced at the fixed penalty level, that was incorrect. There is nothing to stop you asking (and if you do, you should mention it under "Mitigation" when you fill in your return). You can mention the circumstances you were in when you returned the request for driver's details and suggest that is why the error with the stamp may have occurred.  My feeling, however, is that your request will be denied. If it is, you will face sentencing under the normal guidelines. These suggest a fine of half a week's net income (reduced by a third for your guilty plea.- so one third of a week's income). You will also be ordered to pay a "Victim Surcharge" of 40% of the fine and prosecution costs of around £90. You will also have three points imposed on your driving record. You may be lucky and encounter a kindly Magistrate who settles on the fixed penalty equivalent or you may see something in between (with perhaps the prosecution costs left off). But the worst case is as in the previous paragraph. There's no need to fret too much over this. The important thing is to make sure you plead not guilty to both charges and make it absolutely clear that you will plead guilty to speeding only if the other charge is dropped. You may be asked to attend court or it may be handled under the SJ procedure. I don't know how they work this matter in South Wales.
    • The problem that I'm having is with Temu. I ordered a cat tree (£152.98) that I want to send back as it's too small for them/not as advertised/flimsy. I would never have paid that amount if I'd known what poor quality/ how small it was. I have contacted Temu about this numerous times, they did get back to me once but they didn't actually help me with their response. I tried to get in touch again but the emails only ran one way so I couldn't get back to them and tell them that they haven't answered me correctly on how to get the cat tree sent back to them. I have attached the emails correspondence into this post. Thank you in advance for the help and support.    Temu email.pdf
    • Stu007. Many thanks for your reply. They have supplied all the necessary documents so it looks like everything is above board.  Many thanks for the link, once again everything seems above board.  I have received a second claim form today as it says the one they sent me did not refer to my tenancy. Ill look at the details later   I have filled out the defence form, took pics, i will redact it later and post the pdf.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

A New Way of Looking at Interest- 1st successful Claim - N'wide

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5894 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Looking,

I think Alan has picked up on the other, rather more compelling argument. Cumulative penalty charges over the years have put him in the position that he is being charged interest on his account (an unnecessary overdraft) as well as on penalty charges. In this it could well be argued that he can claim the higher rate on ALL interest charges, not just the pro-rata penalty element.

Again, this argument is discussed elsewhere, and again, the application of the formulae will depend on the unique nature of each account. For example, this argument will not work on immature accounts (those that are less than six years old)

It really is a case of applying dilligence to whatever calculations you use, being able to explain and justify your calculations, and then letting the bank argue the toss. If they believe the calculations to be wrong, then the onus will be on them to demonstrate where your calculations are in error.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the point of the "mutuality" and "reciprocity" issue. Their contract to the customer does put these responsibilities onto the customer - the argument is that it should apply in reverse.
I agree with this point entirely - in taking the money they are effectively borrowing the money as unauthorised. Therefore the unauthorised borrowing rate should apply. However, only charging the bank the authorised borrowing rate is an excellent way of demonstrating 'goodwill...'

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If it's not the bank, it's the bloody taxman!

I can see it now -

"Inland Revenue taken to court over 'unlawful tax charges'"

Unfortunately nothing the IR does would ever be judged unlawful - incompetent perhaps, and even maybe ignorant, but not unlawful If you want a good example of this, check out the Mapeley Steps fiasco...

That is a very good substitution: misappropriation of funds has a certain 'shady dealing' feel to it...thanks. :rolleyes:

Hi AC

As I have been unsuccessful at opening the Excel spreadsheet, I went about the laborious task of working out the interest by hand with the help of my ancient calculator!
Was this problem due to you not having Excel, or was the problem with the spreadsheet itself?

Maybe, I am dumb but surely it makes 'common sense' to add the separate amounts of interest to each dated fine/penalty on the claim form, prior to adding the County Court 8%

The bank has charged the interest in relation to the fine, which would not have been taken had the fine not been levied in the first place.

You cannot charge the bank's interest rate PLUS the 8% APR. The logic is this:

By not charging their rate, and therefore the bank holding your money for free over the years, the court allows you 8% as a way of realising some of the money you would have otherwise earned if the bank had not misappropriated your funds to start with

By charging their rate, if the court allows your claim to go through, then you will have been deemed to have recovered your money AND the money you would otherwise have earned. As such, there is no outstanding 'debt' by the bank to which the 8% applies...effectively you have recovered what you could have got if the bank had not misappropriated your funds...

I hope this makes sense...

Hi Lee,

When I said you can charge either the s.69 8% APR OR the banks rate, I meant that you apply one of these rates to everything you are claiming. This is 'penalty charges' and 'penalty interest charges'

Sorry if that bit wasn't clear. The 'penalty interest' that the bank has charged you is a fixed amount, removed from the account on a fixed date. This info is usually visible on your statements.

This is why the wording of the refund request is '...I calculate...charges...and penalty interest...' You then claim interest from the 'date of offence' to 'today' for each individual itemised charge, using one or the other of the two rates mentioned above.

I hope that clears up the confusion...:rolleyes:

Re: Excel spreadsheet- I have tried numerous times to open the Excel spreadsheet but my quite modern computer will not open the programme. I have only got Adobe Acrobat.
The spreadsheet will not open in Acrobat - you need an application that will open office documents.

It appears you do not have Excel, so you need to either use a machine that does have it, or you can install Open Office instead.

If you click this link Open Office - you will be able to download a copy, and if you click this link Spreadsheet you can download a spreadsheet that will work with Open Office.

If you have problems with either, PM me...

Spiceskull, sorry, yes i see what you mean now.
S'cool - it's my own fault for not explaining myself fully - no need to apologise...:(

• 2 weeks later...

Only real issue is that you can't claim BOTH rates of interest - it is either the contractual rate OR the s.69 rate (8% APR)...

Sorry - just noticed that you claimed either/or...not both. Oooops!

There are three rates of interest: s.69 (8% APR), Authorised contractual rate (between 10% and 20%) and Unauthorised contractual rate (usually above 20%)

For my big claim, going back to 1982, I am going to use the authorised contractual rate, as that is the only published rate I can find.

I think the unauthorised rate would be pushing your luck, because whilst the bank may have taken your money without your authorisation, they could argue that you weren't providing them with a service.

However, the 16% you suggest is perfectly reasonable, and you could reasonably have been expected to pay this rate if you were borrowing from the bank for a long time. The judge is also likely to see this as reasonable rather than greedy, and you are therefore more likely to win with this rate.

There is still a risk that the bank will try to contest this, especially from a contract perspective, but as a few people are trying the "mutuality and reciprocity" argument there will be planty of feedback to rely on by the time it gets to court.

Good luck.

• Confused 1

In my opinion, it is unreasonable to assert that you as an individual could command an APR of 16% or anything like, as you do not possess the investment power of a financial institution.
I have to say that it is a fair argument, and more so when you consider that we, as customers, do not hold a consumer credit licence.

However, the bank, in being granted the licence and all other privileges, is duty bound to act lawfully. By not doing so, it is breaching the very terms of contract it sets, and therefore the mutuality and reciprocity comes in to force when dealing with those breaches.

The argument is not that we are lending money to the banks at 16%, but that the breaches and penalties are applied at this rate...

To be honest, I expect the bank to argue more about my estimated charges than about the interest rates...

But looked at another way - if I owed the bank £1,000, and they took me to court to recover it, what interest rate would they claim? You ban bet your bottom dollar it would not be 8% - they would claim a higher rate, and say that losses they incurred justified this...

and I am confident that you will prevail!
That makes two of us...now all that remains to be done is for me to shift my butt, and actually get down to writing those letters...

2) is it possible to scan and OCR into a spreadsheet? if so, please tell me how
It is possible - I know I used to do it with TextBridge Pro.

When scanning you usually have a few options: image, newspaper article, letter, table etc, and it is table that you want.

I think that once the scan has taken place, instead of RTF the file can be saved as CSV, and hence a spreadsheet.

I remember thatthe process was a bugger to get used to, but once familiar, it was relatively straight forward. My only suggestion is to scan and CHECK everything...don't assume that OCR will recognise everything on a statement.

Good luck.

The £5K limit applies to your claim (charges plus charges interest, plus contractual interest if you are going down that route)

s.69 interest is not includd in the £5K limit, but you cannot charge s.69 PLUS contractual - it is one or the other...

Whilst waiting for an answer I rang my local county court and the man there said the £5k limit was including the 8% interest. This is getting very confusing.
We are checking this now...the status has been that the s.69 was NOT included as part of the claim limit of £5K, and this has been what people have been applying to date. However, interest claimed directly in your claim (such as contractual interest) IS included in the limit.

When are you raising your claim?

• Haha 1

The £5K limit applies to the claim only. In most cases this will be penalty charges and penalty interest (where it is applied and claimed for)

Court costs and s.69 interest (8% APR) are NOT included in the £5K limit...this is covered in the Civil Procedure Rules [26.8 (2)] here

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5894 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks