Need help getting account details for Newlook and Topshop

iwantmymoneynow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6271 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I want to claim my charges back from New Look and Topshop but I am hitting a brick wall. I closed my accounts about a year ago so do not have the account details. My bank, HSBC, said I have to pay £35.00 for them to give me the account details from the DD I had set up.

(They are only beeing funny because I am currently taking them to court!!!) :D

So, I've called GE Capital to find the account details but they can not find me ANYWHERE on there systems!!! :-x

Anyone have any ideas what I can do now?!?!??!?!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

There is a big problem with GE Capital in that they do seem to have lost an awful lot of statements as others on this site have found. Don't be surprised if a lot of yours are missing. We were lucky, they only lost one of ours.

However, all is not lost because you can estimate how much they charged you (who are they to argue if they have lost your statements?) and reclaim that so long as you can give an account of the way you have made the estimate. GE Money have paid us back both the actual and estimated charges. They haven't paid the interest back (yet) - but tha's another story.

We do not recommend estimated claims, some claimants have got into serious trouble over this.

GE must have this information, the inland revenue for one would insist on this. A request must be answered with all the information, I do not think a judge would accept they can just "lose" important information held on a computer system.

Thanks HSBCrusher - point taken. However, in our case there was only one statement missing and the charges for a couple of months either side were the same each month. We just assumed the missing month was the same as those either side. Anyway, GE Money have paid up on the estimated charges (£36). They paid the actual charges immediately on receipt of the initial letter requesting repayment and the estimated ones immediately on receipt of us accepting the first payment only as a partial payment. As I noted in the post on this thread, the sticking point is on interest.

It seems that almost everyone has at least one statment missing and some people a year or more's worth. They do seem to be particularly careless! Presumably, people should lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner. What else should be done to get the missing information?

It seems that almost everyone has at least one statment missing and some people a year or more's worth. They do seem to be particularly careless! Presumably, people should lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner. What else should be done to get the missing information?

that was just a word of warning, as this has been an issue recently, no offence intended! :-D

on these smallish claims it is less likely to be an issue, and this bank seems to be one of the easiest to claim against.

There is a letter in the library to get them to cough up this info, and the threat of court action might be needed to get a full set of statements.

A complaint to the information officer would also be a good idea.

GE must have this information, the inland revenue for one would insist on this.

HSBCrusher

Firstly apologies to iwantmymoneynow for a slight hijack. Is there any definitive information on what account information banks, etc must keep and for how long. From some other threads it appears that even the banks seem a bit confused.

The reason for asking is that BrightHouse have not answerd our SAR although they did phone us about it. The account was recently closed and they claim that they destroyed all of the account information when it was closed. Can they do this? What about money laundering regs, tax, CCA, etc, etc?

The account was recently closed and they claim that they destroyed all of the account information when it was closed. Can they do this? What about money laundering regs, tax, CCA, etc, etc?

I would suggest (choosing words very carefully!) that this is not the truth. :-D

I hope the process is an easy one for you IWMMN, and they have not "destroyed" your details.

keep us posted! :-D

You need to modify the standard letter a bit. This is what we used for BrightHouse when in the same position (not knowing account details)

Data Protection Act 1998 - Subject Access Request

Dear Sir/Madam

ACCOUNT: steven4064, Steve4064's addresss

Please supply me with a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my account in the above name ....

and then the rest of the standard letter pretty much unchanged

Steven

ps rather than hijack the thread again discussion relating to BrightHouse's "lost" data on my thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/53098-anyone-taken-brighthouse.html if anyone is interested

• 4 weeks later...