• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

turo.com Car rental dispute. Faulty car - Wheel Nuts came off on modified Wheel whilst driving!! scammed me of £2000 too!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1137 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apart from suggesting that you follow the advice already given, I'd also say that moving forward I wouldn't touch this car sharing club with an extra long barge-pole!

Looking at their T&Cs they attempt to pass all responsibility for the vehicle's safety and mechanical condition etc on to "the host" (whom I presume is the person who actually owns the car), and I certainly would not be wanting to put my own safety or that of my 7 year old child in the hands of a private individual I have never met.  How is the roadworthiness of the "shared" cars regulated?

You liken it to Air B'n'B, but think of all the horror stories you read about unsafe and substandard accommodation.  At least an unsafe house or apartment is unlikely to kill you or your family - unlike an unsafe car.

In any case, the T&Cs seem to clearly make it the "host's" responsibility to ensure the car is in good condition, not the person "hiring" the car.  A modified wheel coming off should be the owner's responsibility.

What reason have theyactually  given for taking the £2k?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not suggesting that the OP do anything at the moment other than what has been suggested so far.

I would add, however, that if the OP had only hired the car for a period of four days (have I got that right?) and the wheel fell off on the final day of hire, then that in itself strongly suggests that the car could not have been mechanically sound at the start of the hire.  How can a wheel become so loose over four days that it falls off - unless it was already loose or otherwise unfit at the outset?  (It could be argued that the OP had not checked the wheel nuts - but who would check wheel nuts* over a period of four days?  I would suggest it's far more likely that the "host" was at fault for not checking the wheel nuts before hiring the vehicle out to the OP)

If the TURO T&Cs specify that the "host" (whom I presume is the owner of the vehicle who is hiring it out) is reponsible for the mechanical fitness of the car being hired out, then they - not the OP - must be liable for any mechanical damage and consequent cosmetic damage.  And the exchange between the OP and Turo posted above seems to confirm that.

As I say, I don't want to go against what has already been suggested to the OP, but I'd be inclined to go back to Turo straightaway and challenge them as to the grounds for taking the £2k.  I'd be making it clear that the cost of repairing any damage to the car is the "host's" responsibility, and if Turo don't return my £2k I'll be taking legal action to recover it from them under their own T&Cs.  Whether others would agree with this, I don't know.

I'd also be challenging my bank again on this - basing my challenge on Turo's own T&Cs.

* I probably ought to be ashamed to admit it, but I've never checked wheel nuts in over 20 years of driving - and a wheel has never yet fallen off!

Edited by Manxman in exile
Addition

Fair point.  I'm just trying to point out issues that might add to the OP's arsenal.

BTW, we cross-posted as I was editing my post to say I've never checked wheel nuts in over 20 years of driving - not that I'm advising that!  But it does make it more unreasonable to expect the OP to check wheel nuts.  I've also never checked wheel nuts on any cars that I've hired - I expect the hire company to provide a vehicle that is already mechanically sound and which has already been subject to basic safety tests - like the wheels are soundly attached.

• 2 weeks later...

May be too late for the OP but I think I would include in BankFodder's draft (1) a reference to the legislation so that Turo can see for them selves, and (2) I would also emphasise that it is Turo's legal responsibility to disclose the requested info to the OP and not just tell him how to check his account details himself - and that failure to do so is an offence.

(I know they should already know all this but they are clearly incompetent and don't know their **** from their elbow.  If they aren't pointed in the right direction it'll just take longer for the OP to get this sorted out).

Also - OP, did you never get a satisfactory explanation from your bank as to why they refused a chargeback?  Did you (as suggested) ask them to reconsider their original decision in the light ot Turo's own T&Cs which clearly make the "host" (car owner) liable for damage caused by mechanical faults, and not you?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ams1996 said:

If I were to go to the county court, What would be be the next step regarding the money being taken in the first place and the no investigation etc etc 

As BankFodder has said this is separate from getting your money back.  The purpose of the SAR is to unearth info that might be used as ammo to get your money back - either by persuasion or by another court action.

When you tell them as BF suggests in #36 that the clock is ticking from when you made your original SAR, not from the second one (it's not your fault they haven't trained their staff properly - love that phrase!) I think BF may have meant it was a "statutory" requirement, not a "static" one.  (I think BF uses dictation software and "static" is a typo).

Incidentally, as I suggested in my last post, did you confront your bank with Turo's T&Cs and ask why the bank would not refund you?  The T&Cs say it's the host's responsibility.

• Like 1